IGNORED

True Detective - Season 2

Mentazm

Now go back and rewatch season 1 to remind us all how great it was. :)

It really is like two different shows rather than two seasons of the same show. I guess this is what they were going for but for me S1 will always be something unique unto itself - a standalone.

I loved season one but have seen nothing of season two yet, except for a part of the first episode.

Should I bother with season two? From what I've picked up here and there (I haven't kept up with this thread to avoid spoilers) it's all very dark and depressing and far from the quality of the 1st season.

Some spoiler-free recommendations would be appreciated

I was hoping for a half hour shootout between Frank and a guy wearing a big crows head on top of a skyscraper :( Frank would have shot him off the side, before looking over and saying 'You got the mask. Shame you forgot the wings'.

Were the Black Mountain security watching his kid's school?

Yeah- there was a line from Farrell to McAdams when he's on the phone to her afterwards where he says he pretty much reckons that's what happened.

One thing that passed me by, so maybe someone can explain it-

The police chief said something to Velcoro about how the diamond store lady (the mother of Birdman and bird-sister) was carrying a baby she didn't want to hide... I wasn't quite sure if I heard it correctly, but was she carrying Caspere's baby too and that's why they killed her in the heist..?

Whatever it was it pissed off Birdman anyway.

Now the finale's over it's a good time to look back at Bustle and their three 'reddit sourced theories' on twists that were people predicted were coming in the final episodes and see how they did. (Hint: none of these people are gonna make True Detective status anytime soon...)

http://www.bustle.com/articles/99825-true-detective-season-2-theories-from-reddit-point-to-an-awesomely-unexpected-potential-killer

It's not far from the quality of the first season, but the plot requires more concentration.

The characters are less likeable than Marty and Rust and the dialogue is a bit clunky.But I love the sweeping camera shots and the incidental music is just extraordinary.

There are probably too many flat spots for some, but I really like it. Just don't watch it in conjunction with doing stuff on a tablet, computer or phone. You'll miss bits and once you get lost you'll get frustrated.

The police chief said something to Velcoro about how the diamond store lady (the mother of Birdman and bird-sister) was carrying a baby she didn't want to hide... I wasn't quite sure if I heard it correctly, but was she carrying Caspere's baby too and that's why they killed her in the heist..?

Whatever it was it pissed off Birdman anyway.

That was how I interpreted it too, yeah. She was pregnant by Caspere. Birdman flipped at that point because he'd just learned that not only did they kill his mum, but also his unborn sibling that he never knew he (would have) had. I think.

Birdman and/or his sister may have been fathered by Caspere as well, I'm not clear on that one.

Laura Osterman, the girl who worked for Caspere, was Caspere's illegitimate daughter. Birdman was the natural son of the two killed in the robbery, and only Laura's half-brother rather than full-on sibling, as he believed. So Caspere had two children with Mrs Osterman - Laura and an unborn baby. She was killed to stop her going public, which handily coincided with the robbery. So, two birds with one stone.

Thought this was pretty good in the end. Definitely had to find it's way a little but the last few episodes managed to pull it together in a satisfying way. Also, Colin Farrell was excellent. I'm up for season 3.

I found this season a strange one. In one respect I enjoyed parts of it, but I couldn't honestly say I could recommend it to anyone. I think part of my issue with this season is that the story never really gripped me. I didn't feel invested in the Caspere case, or the fallout from it.

The final episode was a microcosm of the whole series; some decent, tense sequences, some good performances and some shit dialogue. Obviously it wasn't a patch on the 1st series but I was drawn along throughout the series so regardless of the complaints there was enough there to keep me interested ; ergo job done. None of the actors did any harm to their reputations- Vaughan was obviously the big surprise casting choice and he got there though no stunning revelation , Farrell and McAdams were solid and Kitsch was unremarkable.

I'm always baffled when journalists all seem to agree an opinion on something and once it's condemned there's no way back.

The series was incredibly well made and performed, sure you can make lists of faults but for me it consumed me when I watched it, totally drew me into its world and now it's done I really miss the characters. Woodrugh was such a sad and lost guy.

I don't know, most of the critics I read on stuff like the AV Club and Vox were hoping that the show would get better and looking for positives, rather than signing up to some critical consensus and then refusing to budge. I think it suffered from high expectations, but if they seemed to agree an opinion on something I'd say it's more down to their individual critical opinions being broadly the same, rather than looking around to agree with what other people were saying.

Obviously it varies from critic to critic but I didn't feel many of them were missing the point or deliberately over-looking strengths to reinforce an initial stance- but then I don't feel the show particularly improved over the run, ep 7 aside- the end of ep 2 and beginning of ep 3 were where it was at it's strongest.

That said I can't remember the last show to get such a backlash and a critical kicking in it's second series, and possibly there was an element of hate-watching creeping in- a glee at making fun of the show where critics were hoping it'd get worse rather than better, so possibly I've just totally contradicted my opening paragraph. :)

• 3 months later...

The image of Vaughn traipsing through the desert popped into my head the other day - 3 months after the finale- say what you like about the overall quality of series 2 but there was some fantastically realised shots and imagery in the series.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I'd never seen any of the TDs before last week, not sure why. It just passed me by. I was looking for something cool to watch so decided to pick up the box set. First series was absolutely incredible, one of the best things I've ever seen. 

But holy fuck, Vince Vaughn in this second series. I just don't understand how they thought 'yep, this is a performance worth airing'. The guy is floundering in almost every scene he's in. And it's such a shame because the rest of the show is pretty good. If they could CGI him and replace him with someone else, I'd be pretty happy. 

On 20/07/2015 at 23:07, ZOK said:

You totally missed the point of that scene. It was all about fantastic neon lighting. The colours were so good I couldn't follow a word they said.

Oh man - I KNEW IT! This show is totally the proto Too Old To Die Young, as I opined by chance in the Amazon Prime thread a couple of days ago.

Brain, you’ve still got it! :sherlock: