True Detective - Season 2

Mentazm

And this guy

taylor-kitsch-john-carter-movie.jpg

Who between John Carter and Battleship has to be the blandest lead since that guy no-one can remember the name of. You know, him. From that film, what's it called? You know.

I've only ever seen him in Friday Night Lights and he was great in that. Maybe tv series set in a southern state is his thing?

• 5 months later...

Starting a new thread for True Detective Season 2 because megathreads suck and the unconnected mini-series format means that people can still use the Season 1 thread for discussion of that story without stumbling on spoilers for this.

Teaser trailer released.

Not really feeling it from that footage and still feel a bit let down with what feels a massive downgrade in the casting. Still I have faith in HBO and the writer, so will be watching regardless.

I'm willing to be surprised, but I feel kind of the same based on the video and the changes in the creative team more than the casting. I wouldn't be surprised if the lack of connection turns out to be something of a misdirection.

I like it enough- it's a teaser. Farrell looks good, kind of out of shape and depressed. I remember seeing the teaser for the first series and being underwhelmed- but then it's not really a show that lends itself to a one minute selling format. Difference is that expectations are massively raised this time around.

I feel faintly ridiculous saying this but it's hope more than expectation that this will live up to the quality of the 1st season given that trailer.Vaughan and Kitsch just don't look right for the part IMO.

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but you're all fucking nuts. :)

I'm really looking forward to this- first season was great, save for the final episode, and I'm hopeful that Pizzolatto will do it again. It's not even a proper trailer, it's some mood shots, from a show that does't lend itself to trailers. It's been the same with every step in the process- from the directors being announced to the cast- there's an astonishingly lack of faith in people who seemed to have a pretty good idea what they were doing the first time around.

I mean, look at that moustache! It's a moustache that says his wife has left him, his life has fallen apart, his drinking is out of control, and he's just discovered the occult secrets of the west coast have infiltrated the highest echelons of society and the police network. It looks great.

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but you're all fucking nuts. :)

I'm really looking forward to this- first season was great, save for the final episode, and I'm hopeful that Pizzolatto will do it again. It's not even a proper trailer, it's some mood shots, from a show that does't lend itself to trailers. It's been the same with every step in the process- from the directors being announced to the cast- there's an astonishingly lack of faith in people who seemed to have a pretty good idea what they were doing the first time around.

I mean, look at that moustache! It's a moustache that says his wife has left him, his life has fallen apart, his drinking is out of control, and he's just discovered the occult secrets of the west coast have infiltrated the highest echelons of society and the police network. It looks great.

Don't get me wrong- Farrell looks the part definitely and we know he and Vaughn at least are capable of great things- as I said , faintly ridiculous criticising based a trailer but that was the impression I got. On the other hand Kitsch , for me, has been bobbins in anything I've seen him in and would cause me he greatest concern.Hopefully this pushes him from bland pretty-boy to proper actor.

They're the three worst bankable actors in the business, for my money. Who knows though, maybe they'll be good or the writing will be so good that it won't matter. I'm not sure how interested I'll be without the cosmic horror stuff bubbling under the surface, assuming that's gone.

Both Vaughn and Farrell have been great in the past, and have also done a lot of shit. Same goes for Maconahgey and Harrelson. There is literally nothing in that trailer to give any indication as to what the show will be about.

I have faith in the creators not to fuck the goodwill raised by the first series.

That trailer has sold me on Colin, he's appeared in a lot of fluff but every now again he can pull in strong performances. I think he will be this season's 'Woody' in a 'Ohh, he's actually pretty good!' sense. Vince, even in this trailer, looks a little awkward. Most importantly, it's looking like it's lacking a McConaughey.

I hope I am proven wrong and that Colin is the McConaughey and Vince is the 'Ohh, he's actually pretty good!' guy.