IGNORED

True Detective - Season 2

Mentazm

I think it was some kind of objet d'art, and the joke was that it actually did exist.

Edit: I thought this was really good, by the way. I'm just as hooked in as I was after the first season opener, and I think everyone is doing great work.

Really enjoyed that first episode, had some slightly Lynchian undertones in places. And I thought Vaughan was very interesting - a likeable, very sympathetic character, but from the context you just know that he's done very bad things and will probably do them again.

It's going to have to be VERY good to get close to S1, but that was not a bad start at all.

Nothing new to add that's not been said already. An interesting set of characters in play and juicy connections between them already. Really enjoyed it.

Could do with a joke or two though. S1's interplay between Woody & Matt had me grinning as much as I was grimacing at all the sinister Southern shit; this new bunch are all so dour.

Yeah, dark but really enjoyable. Not a huge amount to say about it really but I think Farrell's nailing it and Kitsch was actually pretty good. Not too sure about McAdams' story what with

her Dad being Jesus returned and her sister the loose canon drug addict

but not a major problem.

4* no funny bits then.

I kept expecting to see...

***Mad Men finale spoiler***

Don Draper inventing that Coke advert at the hippy retreat place.

:)

Yeah, I think the conversation McAdams has with her dad might have been the exact same spot where that happened, just 44 years later.

I was concerned that Taylor Kitsch appeared to have the greyscale, and in exactly the same place as Ser Jorah too!

Basically, what I'm saying is that all HBO shows take place in the same universe.

EDIT: Oh wait, Mad Men isn't HBO, is it?! The rabbit hole just gets deeper...

I kind of enjoyed it, but it was very much mood over plot which makes the wait for the next episode harder, and although the performances are good, I can't work out if the characters are meant to be funny or not- like I found Ray Velcoro mostly hilarious, especially his Big Lebowski front lawn moment, but I'm not sure if he's entirely meant to be. His moustache says yes though.

Good to have it back anyway and I'm hooked to see where it's going.

Although I find it hard not to agree with a bunch of these, I don't necessarily see them as all being weaknesses- 31 Ridiculous Things from the True Detective Premiere -

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/21/8822159/true-detective-premiere-recap-season-2

The astronaut line, yeah. But the score..? I thought it was magic.

Oh I like the music on the intro. Still, as I've said many times before, any show that has a title sequence that is more than 5 seconds is totally up itself.

Have you been watching Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell? They start with a brief "previously on" with the credits playing over it, then straight into the action. Works really well.

Have you been watching Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell? They start with a brief "previously on" with the credits playing over it, then straight into the action. Works really well.

Sounds like my kind of show already

Same here. Very little plot wise and for all the character stuff I'm not going to care about their lives unless I'm given a reason to. It was very slow and I struggled to pay attention all the way though.

Wasn't as instantly gripping as Season 1 but curious to see where they go with it, all the police seemed to have stereotypical issues whereas in the 1st season they were more nuanced.

Or maybe I'm just talking shite.

Farredler was rappeh.

Pure click bait of the highest order. Utter crap for the most part, as well.

I think he's pretty spot on about a lot of things- the heavy handed nature of a lot of it, the exposition, the way the female characters are handled, the fact that so much of it is backstory rather than story, the built in boredom that comes with a 'criminal going straight' premise.... But it's also meant to be a light-hearted article, it's a bit of fun- VanDerWerff's one of the better TV critics around (back when he worked for the AV Club his coverage of the first two seasons of American Horror Story was brilliant).

Didn't enjoy the first one much and I think the problem for me are Colin Farell and Vince Vaughn trying to act like decent actors rather than just being decent actors. They just seem utterly self aware of what they're and how important it is for their career.

Does that make sense?

The first series put enough credit in the good will bank that I'll see season two through to the end but so far it's a little worrying.

I thought this was pretty crap, Vaughn doesn't really output any kind of characterisation (I have no idea what kind of a person he's supposed to be) and Colin Farrell wasn't really any better. And Taylor Kitsch wasn't really any better. And Rachel McAdams was barely in it, and had no trousers on in her first scene. They all seemed to be inhabitating characters they just couldn't sell. I felt like I was watching Bugsy Malone, except Bugsy did it on purpose.

That Vox article is actually great. Pretty much everything that annoyed me about it. Though it can be summed up by saying it was heavy-handed and soulless.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was left feeling disappointed.

I found it cheap and formless on the whole and there were some really, really awful lines in the episode - "I just did" was the worst thing. Well, that whole scene with the hippie dad was the worst. I'll definitely give it the benefit of the doubt and stick with it for a bit, though. I'm sure the story will all begin to take shape the further in we get. However, given the fact it made almost no appearance in the first episode, I'm not confident it'll pull itself together in any satisfying way come the end.

Preferred last season's opening credit music.

Enjoyed the episode, though was a bit lost with what was going on to start with. And completely lost with the tiny naked lady in the bowl of milk.

Thought Farrell was going to punch the kid when he put the brass knuckles on. Little bit disappointed he didn't.

Is Colin Farrell supposed to be funny or not?

I laughed all the way through the scenes with the ginger kid.

BTW naked milk lady is a bit of modern art by a guy called Peter Sarkisian.

This work is an early attempt to bridge video and sculpture. It's actually very serene and gentle, but True Detective places it in a rather carnal environment, which has caused some viewers to misinterpret it as creepy. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Thanks for viewing my works!​

My understanding is that Justin Lin specifically referenced the piece in the script. I agreed to loan them the work only if HBO broke protocol and agreed to give my artwork screen credit, which up until this episode was not their policy. My position was that visual artists should be credited for featured works in the same manner that musicians and writers are credited. Ultimately, HBO was sympathetic and agreed to amending their policy. I'm proud to have played a role in setting this new legal precedent, and hope that other studios follow HBO's lead. Well done HBO!