IGNORED

True Detective - Season 2

Mentazm

Messy start to the series - I think its trying to put across its own style rather than being poorly structured, but at the moment either I'm not a fan of its own style or its poorly structured. The scene with moustache and lanky in the bar for example just felt laughably bad in its framing set up. The Shhhh gesture seemed oddly out of place. The hippy cultist was awful. Maybe its trying to make a point that in LA you have this fake shit - or perhaps it just feels more fake after the gritty dirty south stuff from last season. Its all trying too hard and the meaningful looks at the end there...if not for season one I'd have passed on it.

You did have moustache knuckledusting the bully's dad which I was all in for and gave me a little hope.

I wasn't a huge fan of the starting episode, either. It felt a bit like GTA V as the Housers envisaged it to be rather than how it actually turned out, so while it looked beautiful and was pretty intriguing, it was also rather clumsy and unsubtle. Early days yet, but I was looking at my watch from about the twenty minute mark.

I hope they're not doing the Chinatown/Who Framed Roger Rabbit/LA Noire plot with all the railroad stuff.

I liked this, viewing it as a totally separate thing from the first series. It has a very different feel, the setting goes a long way to giving it a grimier edge, dirty LA.

Farrell is quite amusing, but I wonder if he'll sober up and find redemption through solving some crime or will it do something unexpected. I'm looking forward to finding out over the next 9 weeks.

Now THAT'S more like it. Excellent stuff. Some of the dialogue was still a bit on the nose, like in the scene with Farrell and his wife, but otherwise that was the creepy, weird, clipped True Detective I remember.

This series has got a real James Ellroy feel to it. Corrupt cops, plastic surgery, genital wounds, murder houses; if it wasn't for the fact that one of the investigators is a woman, I'd swear Ellroy wrote that episode, it's got all of his usual tropes on there.

Those aerial shots of LA are stunning.

Didn't care much for Vince's monologue at the beginning. You could see him "acting".

I fully agree with this. There are a few scenes where the actors seem very aware that they're trying to produce a 'moment' to prove themselves to the audience. That one didn't work for me.

It's a bit of a mess at this point, but so was the last one in places. I hope that they manage to tighten their focus on the characters a bit more as things go on.

I'm amazed that people are saying this is dull. It may be very slow paced, but it's excellent! I'm already all over the characters like a rash, the interplay of people and their relative positions in public and private is wonderfully done. And the settings! I keep having to rewatch the first scene of the investigation of the missing dude's sexy house in the first episode, it is so rich.

As much as I loved the bit at the end, that's the only bit that really took me out of the atmosphere they've created. I mean, sure it's as cool as fuck to jarr the audience like that and the imagery was amazing, but if you had to

sneak into a house and up behind a dangerous armed person whose location you don't know and 'kill' them (was he shot with a bag of salt or something maybe?), the last thing you are going to do is stick a massive bird head on your bean before attempting to do so.

Can't wait until next week. :quote:

Massive bird 'head'? He was killed by a giant bird.... :quote:

Hold on, don't you see a massive bird head on the back seat of someones car at one point? Perhaps it is just somebody wearing a mask? How dull...

Now you mention it, yeah there was a bird head! So whoever birdy is was the person driving the dead body around in episode 1?

Massive bird 'head'? He was killed by a giant bird.... :quote:

Hold on, don't you see a massive bird head on the back seat of someones car at one point? Perhaps it is just somebody wearing a mask? How dull...

I thought you were joking before you added the edit! Yes, it's a

massive bird head. Didn't you notice all the animal head masks on the wall of that house? I assumed they pinched all that off Hotline Miami :lol:

I thought you were joking before you added the edit! Yes, it's a

massive bird head. Didn't you notice all the animal head masks on the wall of that house? I assumed they pinched all that off Hotline Miami :lol:

Yeah, that was the bird head on the back seat of the car with the body in it during the first episode. Also, when Farrell was standing in front of the other masks, one of the display stands was empty.

I wasn't sure about the first episode and I'm still not sold on Taylor Kitsch's character, but I'm looking forward to it continuing already regardless of the good grace I would have given it for the first season anyway. I thought I'd miss the dirty southern gothic setting but sleazy California is working for me even though it's a little familiar. When they do the overhead shots of the freeway junctions I've paused it to work out how you'd cross it. I should never have bought Cities Skylines.

Enjoyed the first episode a lot and was pretty much amazed throughout by the cinematography. It just boggles my mind how film makers can shoot even the most mundane scenes and make them look like something out of this world. The story was a bit tough to follow at times but I was still engrossed by, well pretty much everything really... Except for the intro music though. That's just wrong.

Bring on episode 2!

Now THAT'S more like it. Excellent stuff. Some of the dialogue was still a bit on the nose, like in the scene with Farrell and his wife, but otherwise that was the creepy, weird, clipped True Detective I remember.

This series has got a real James Ellroy feel to it. Corrupt cops, plastic surgery, genital wounds, murder houses; if it wasn't for the fact that one of the investigators is a woman, I'd swear Ellroy wrote that episode, it's got all of his usual tropes on there.

Those aerial shots of LA are stunning.

I was thinking the same

during the autopsy scene - it was straight from The Big Nowhere.

I was a bit underwhelmed last week but the second episode was superb. I don't know if it was intentional but it was proper funny in places - the car conversation between Farrell and McAdams was hilarious.