True Detective - Season 2

Mentazm

That was really good. I'm getting plot fatigue to a certain extent trying to keep track of all the different plotlines and characters - I was wracking my brains trying to remember the significance of the diamonds and the missing Hispanic woman - but otherwise, this is getting nicely weird.

During the scene where Bezzerides convinces her sister to link her back into the mansion sex party scene, they may as well have had a passing undertaker measure her sister up for a coffin. She's clean! She's got into college! Man, I hope nothing bad happens her.

I'm enjoying this plenty, but I'm a huge fan of Ellroy, Leonard and Chandler, all of which it is liberally borrowing from. Vaughn's casting was a mistake though. He can't carry this character off. Might not help that he's the least interesting character of the four, or maybe I think that because of him.

Yeah, the worst scenes this week were the ones with Vaughn and his wife where they were trying to convince us that despite everything they're still in love with one another. Kelly Reilly's doing her best, but there's no chemistry between them at all - they just don't convince as a couple. As such, it's difficult to care about that element of the story.

This is so bleak and depressing suits my mood on a Monday perfectly.

It'd be much better if Vaughn was just a background character who popped up every now and again as the detective's investigate, his storyline couldn't be less interesting.

What's up with the intro music changing slightly each week? I thought I was going mad the first few episodes but it definitely is happening. This week's was quite different.

I noticed this too. The Leonard Cohen song it's cut down from is quite a bit longer, and they seem to be using different excerpts. I can't work out if there's some deeper symbolism or it's just to keep you on your toes, though.

Here's what you missed Silent Runner.

They enter a spooky hut where there is blood upon the floor and 'arterial spray' upon the wall. There's also a chair where someone seems to have been bound with tape and maybe tortured on.

Vince and his wife share a joint and he says that the new house doesn't have a stain on the ceiling which is like a METAPHOR for SOMETHING and she says the old house was too big anyway so the new place is better and then someone keeps knocking on the door.

So Vince gets up and he says "I'm fucking coming, Jesus..." and gets his gun and he's wearing a pretty horrible dark blue dressing gown and he opens the door and Ray Velcro is there and Velcro says "ARE YOU ALONE?" and Vince says "Yes" even though he's not so that's odd- and then Velcro stares at him for a long time and says "We need to talk" and Vince gives a "uh-oh, this guy means business" look and then we cut to black.

Last episode was better but it did make me realise how little I care about the main characters and the plot. In season one when the two guys got back together, it felt sort of epic. In this it still feels like they haven't quite introduced themselves to each other and there's more of a feeling of "Really? You want these three people working together, because they're kind of shit at their job..." which the state department woman had to explain away a bit to make the plot work.

The thing is, I've got a strong feeling that just one freaky guy in a mask would make it all better.

That said, this season has introduced a whole new kind of fear into police drama- the fear of that people are suddenly going to start discussing tax rebates and soil toxicity. And every scene with Vince Vaughan is a tense set piece of terror where he could slide into a conversation about the pitfalls of child adoption or land purchase. Fair play to Pizzolatto, he knows how to install a sense of gnawing dread and horror into proceedings from the most unexpected sources.

I'm increasingly convinced that Vince Vaughan is writing his own dialogue, and subsequently delivering it in the worst possible way.

"You don't want to look hungry. Never do anything out of hunger. [pause] Not even eating."

and

"I was born drafted onto the wrong side in a class war."

....are two particular favourites.