rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nespresso

Star Wars Battlefront

It's absolutely not skill-less. It's entirely possible to flank, use the undulations of the landscape as cover, use squad tactics and do well. It just isn't a Battlefield game which, as predicted, is going to get people whinging. They've done a great job of making a Battlefront game though. Captures the feel of the predecessors.

It all felt rather shallow to me, amusing for a short while but just left me a bit cold overall.

• Upvote 2

Just gave it a go... disappointed. Like others have said, star wars battlefield would have been amazing, this is just one dimensional pap.

• Upvote 1

Which if you play on your own quite a lot, can be pretty frustrating and not fun. Battlefield is great with like minded friends but I can understand it not appealing otherwise.

I disagree. You can have great fun on your own on BF4

Anyway, I'm actually enjoying this

• Upvote 1

It's no surprise that you would disagree Kerraig but I think one of the reasons COD is more popular in general is that people feel it isn't reliant on team dynamics or communication to play it. Can just pop in and out of games by yourself without ever even thinking of needing a headset

I loved the other battlefronts way back, and if its mindless star wars fun that'll do but, will it have the hold of BF? , thats a massive ask and from the off ive always said it wouldnt regardless of the IP.

Hardline was great for the beta, full game as others said all along felt like a mod, I just hope its better than that.

it all depends on this

Me and my 7 year old son just spent an hour playing the one mission on Tattooine. If there's enough variety in split screen co-op to the missions bit, that's worthy of a purchase on its own without ever getting into true multiplayer.

Everything definitely feels more light weight than Battlefield and, y'know what, as a family and kid friendly shooter I'm absolutely ok with it. This is far closer to PvZ: Garden Warfare than Battlefield, and I don't think that it's either accidental or a bad thing. It's just not Battlefield. After Hardline, I'm ok with that too.

It looks and sounds absolutely fucking stunning too.

• Upvote 1

I think 7 years old is about right for this. And I'm not taking the piss.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

I think he means he's popping on for a few games.

Played a couple of games of the Battle of Hoth, the Sullust capsule capture and the Survival in co-op. Gameplay feels more like Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare than Battlefield 4 - a balance which I quite like.

Hoth is amazing for how it shouts STAR WARS at you ALL. THE. TIME. Setting up shields to deflect enemy fire. Seeing an X-Wing and Tie colliding and crashing right in front of you. Having Luke f'ing Skywalker run past you out of nowhere to swing his lightsaber at an approaching AT-ST :omg:

But it's very chaotic too, getting 30 deaths in 10 minutes seems pretty unavoidable, including some kills at respawn. Also, winning as Rebels seems pretty much impossible as AT-ATs really appear to be nigh invincible.

Capturing capsules at Sullust was relatively more relaxed, as it's basically king of the hill. You get slightly more time to look around, line up shots and taking out the opposition. Also: throwing a Thermal Detonator at a group of enemies guarding the capsule = WIN :D

Compared to these two modes, the Survival at Tattooine is basically a stroll in the park. It sometimes almost feels like target practice too, as default AI Stormtroopers go down even quicker than human players. Still fun though.

Everything definitely feels more light weight than Battlefield and, y'know what, as a family and kid friendly shooter I'm absolutely ok with it. This is far closer to PvZ: Garden Warfare than Battlefield, and I don't think that it's either accidental or a bad thing. It's just not Battlefield. After Hardline, I'm ok with that too.

It looks and sounds absolutely fucking stunning too.

Very much this.

• Upvote 1

Ground combat feels insanely basic to me and because it is lasers rather than proper guns I'm not a fan of the feedback either when you're engaged in gunfights. You also die really quickly. Hmm.

• Upvote 1

It's good fun and looks great, but there's little apparent depth there. Beyond the card system to choose some powerups there's not much in the way of customisation. No class system to allow different play-styles, no weapon upgrades (scopes etc. - although being 3rd person, there'd be little point anyway) or weapon balancing (recoil etc.) and no destruction of scenery as far as I can tell. I think it will be a hugely popular release, but I think I'll get bored of it pretty quickly.

The hour I've played so far (on just the single Sullust pod-capture game-mode) has been fun though.

Played this for about an hour or two and I think that's my time done with the beta! It all looks very nice and definitely does Star Wars right but otherwise I found it to be very repetitive. There's zero depth to the gunplay (accuracy stays the same no matter what you do) and this might actually be more merry-go-round than recent CoDs! I hope they add some more maps or modes later to the beta because so far it hasn't exactly sold me on the full game.

Did anyone of you ever see the Rebels win that AT-AT game mode? For me it was just Imperials winning over and over again.

• Upvote 1

It's pretty fun, but I am finding the controls of EVERY game to be lacking post-Destiny. It's hard to adjust.

I'm enjoying drop zone as a mode.

No real depth to it, but I couldn't have dreamed I'd be playing a Star Wars game that looked and sounded so good.

Played fire another hour and it's still a bit shit but it's fairly easy to down the AT-ATS, if you have control of the skies as soon as the shields go down your starfighters shoot the shit out of it and boom

I love it. I'm not a tactical fps player but I love Star Wars. I can see myself dipping in and out having some fun with it.

It looks and sounds glorious, and in terms of pacing it's in the middle ground more akin to MW2 than the extremes of recent CODs or Battlefield. That suits me nicely so I'll be quite happy with more of this.

Thing is I tried BF and I couldn't click with it. I just didn't get it. I got this immediately. It appears much more simplified but that's fine with me. Know your market.

Not bad but I can see it becoming fairly dull once the Star Wars shine wears off.

Looks and sounds great!

It seems alright. Maybe a little basic, yes. In my first match I got the award for most pods defended. I had no idea what I was doing.

Ok so I just had another go and I really enjoyed it, I got an x-wing, a-wing, speeder, tie fighter, tie fucking interceptor and Darth Vader! It was really fun when I wasn't trying to compare it to battlefield.