Skyforge - F2P PC MMO.

Currently in closed beta. I bought a EU17.99 founders pack so I could try it because someone mentioned it on Neogaf in one of the Neverwinter threads.

Basically it's a western port of a Russian MMO that is essentially a SCI-FI Neverwinter. So it's got everything you'd expect. Ropey voice actors, mobile real time(ish) combat, dodging. It does have some things different. You can switch to any class you have unlocked at any time out of combat.

It's quite pretty

http://sf.my.com/us

Skyforge is an action-combat MMO. The combat design is inspired by the top features of the best action and fighting games. Skyforge's over the top combat visuals and mouse look control, with optional direct targeting, enables players to deal breathtaking combo strikes, devastating finishing attacks and show off their larger than life powers. You will dive into dynamic battles, both entertaining and satisfying!

Where's your spirit of adventure guys? I wouldn't have started the thread if I wasn't genuinely having a good time (To the point where I ignored a double XP weekend on Bone Neverwinter). It's not going to win any prizes for originality certainly but it definitely has its good points.

Where's the RLLMUK MMO massive at these days anyway? If you say Old Republic I'm going to punch someone.

Despite being processing at Youtube for 2 days it's still only SD but here's some footage of the first of the larger open areas

The Rllmuk MMO Massive is dead and gone, Flub. We've run out of exciting new MMOs to play and there is nothing on the horizon except generic fluff like this. It's over, man. It's over! The genre is dead, at least for a few years, and I'm getting pretty sick of them anyway.

I'm dipping in and out of TESO at the moment! With the PS4 version on pre order.

I think we are all scattered across various MMOs at the moment as there isn't one single MMO to rule us all or interest us all. :)

What do you get with the founders pack, is it unlimited beta access or are they doing weekend testing? I could go look it up I guess, but in the spirit of discussion...:P

Is there a ranger type class from the start?

I wasn't blown away with the first couple of posts but your latest screenshots looked a little interesting! And I like the sound of the combat. Controller compatibility?

Waiting for a really good MMO :mellow:

Haven't even bought the latest WoW expansion, resubed a couple of months ago but got tired of it almost as soon as I logged in. Thousand of hours have made everything in the game feel too samey, done it a million times before.

Jumped back to Rift, really good game that deserved a better fate. Thinking of leveling a Defiant as I haven't played any character on that side.

Tried ESO (PC) but found it to be utterly soulless

Played a bit of FFXIV on PS4 but found the lack of a keyboard making the game a singleplayer experience.

Only one I haven't tried yet is Wildstar, played the beta, seemed nice but not something I would pay a monthly fee for. If it goes F2P I might give it a try.

The MMO train officially died when none of you wanted to join me, sie and top cat playing the amazing Archeage.

Nothing has come close to vegetable and tree farming, hand gliding, trade pack runs on our boats and the house of Kim.

The MMO train officially died when none of you wanted to join me, sie and top cat playing the amazing Archeage.

Nothing has come close to vegetable and tree farming, goat, chicken, turkey, sheep and cow slaughter, hand gliding, trade pack runs on our boats(and dropping unsuspecting travellers off in the ocean or on PvP Pirate Island) and the house of Kim.

:quote:

What do you get with the founders pack, is it unlimited beta access or are they doing weekend testing? I could go look it up I guess, but in the spirit of discussion... :P

Is there a ranger type class from the start?

I wasn't blown away with the first couple of posts but your latest screenshots looked a little interesting! And I like the sound of the combat. Controller compatibility?

The closed beta seems to be running from now until open beta which as far as I can tell is launch. (It certainly was in Russia). There is a ranger class but not available at the start. The class unlocks are a bit weird. Once you advance so far through the skill atlas of any class you open up the full atlas. As you move around that you get to unlock different classes. Some take longer to unlock than others. I suspect they'll sell those in the cash shop for people who don't fancy the grind.

There doesn't seem to be any controller support yet but apparently it's promised in here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCUiN3YBukY#t=5m33s

If you think of the game as like Neverwinter you won't be far off with the combat. Except there's a big focus on AOE here which Neverwinter doesn't have. Lots of instanced "Missions" that are replayable and 10 open world areas with quests. There's also no levels. It uses a rating called Prestige to determine the difficulty. It's never going to win any awards for the setting or the plot but for running around bashing the shite out of things it's pretty addictive.

One mission last night offered double rewards if you played with the gunner class. I don't have the gunner class unlocked so it offered to let me play that mission as a gunner. Turns out it was a gunner with all the skills unlocked. Fuck me that's a fun class. Your "hand cannon" (Big fuckoff rocketcannon) can swap between rapid fire and rocket launch modes depending on how much resource you have available and even to a fixed high damage stationary mortar.

It looks like an inferior version of TERA, which BTW, has a new class coming next month: The Gunner.

If anyone has any taste, then they'll join me here http://www.swgemu.com/ :P

Tera is just terrible man. Accept it

Nothing has come close to vegetable and tree farming, hand gliding, trade pack runs on our boats and the house of Kim.

I don't think "vegetable and tree farming, gliding and trade pack runs" is the compelling argument you think it is.

Neverwinter isn't all about AOE? You never played a Cleric then. Virtually every attack is AOE.

I would quite like to try Skyforge but there's no way I'm paying money to play a beta of a F2P game. The setting does look incredibly generic but technically it all looks very good. I can't help thinking that the cyromancer's (or whatver they're called) abilities look a bit too big and flashy. The effects take up half the screen and I can see that becoming pretty tedious.

I don't think "vegetable and tree farming, gliding and trade pack runs" is the compelling argument you think it is.

Neverwinter isn't all about AOE? You never played a Cleric then. Virtually every attack is AOE.

I would quite like to try Skyforge but there's no way I'm paying money to play a beta of a F2P game. The setting does look incredibly generic but technically it all looks very good. I can't help thinking that the cyromancer's (or whatver they're called) abilities look a bit too big and flashy. The effects take up half the screen and I can see that becoming pretty tedious.

Most stuff in Neverwinter is very light touch on the AOE. Skyforge makes it quite excessive to the point where it's designed around very large packs (Upwards of 10 mobs) consisting of very low health stuff designed to be taken out in one or two aoe hits and a couple of higher health/damage mobs to focus down one at a time. It's pretty satisfying :)

The feel of the combat reminds me a lot of how Diablo feels when you're playing. Run in SMASH BASH SPLODE. Hoover up loot. Boss fights are slightly duller at first. Bosses tend to have 10 health bars and a set of telegraphed moves (Like Zelda bosses or simpler raid bosses) and at first it feels a bit of a slog getting them down. Once you get more skills and better gear that sort of thing goes a lot quicker and none of them so far have been complicated once you learn the patterns.

You end up replaying missions a lot to earn currency to progress along the skill atlas. The nice thing about this is every 40 minutes the rewards for the missions change across the board. So if you've been playing one mission because of a particular currency reward you get to change it up every 40 mins and play a different one. The combat is nice enough that it doesn't feel like a grind though.

Well, I am little bit sold on giving it a go so bought the founders pack. For £13 it can't be any worse than the pile of pants I bought yesterday! :)

First impressions are COMBAT FUN!

I'm not gonna be stuck being a man though, right? Have I messed up?

Well, I am little bit sold on giving it a go so bought the founders pack. For £13 it can't be any worse than the pile of pants I bought yesterday! :)

First impressions are COMBAT FUN!

I'm not gonna be stuck being a man though, right? Have I messed up?

You play through the intro as Mr Roman and then get to choose your appearance and gender afterwards. I think it's about leaving your past life behind.

There's also a booty height slider.

Nah. Flub wouldn't be playing it unless he could be a massively breasted lady ;)

To be fair I rarely push the limits with the titty sliders.

I went for the dress with the bow on the back! Am now sporting a cute blazer, wedges, and some short shorts. Dunno what my screen shot button is, mashed prt screen a few times.

:wub:

Managed to play for a couple of hours and I actually do really like the combat, but not enjoying the cyromancer class so thinking of switching to something else. Is it advisable to go play the earlier missions again when switching class?

I almost feel that I am playing some weird Tera / Destiny / Warframe hybrid which isn't entirely a bad thing I don't think. The voice acting is as expected, the story is as expected but the missions are pretty good. The Ascension thingy ma jiggy is quite cool, kinda like FFX. :)

I just finished a mission and got told next time I start it, I can start it as a group. Does that mean that missions scale to solo / group play? Or did I solo an intended group mission? It is a little confusing!

You can play any mission at any time. They seem to scale to your prestige which will drop if you switch to another character so you'll be ok. That early on I was switching like a motherfucker as I found different bosses were better with different classes. Now I'm just mainlining Lightbringer since the content seems much easier as one. At least until I unlock the full atlas anyway.

And stealing player farm carts right from under their nose, revelling in their panic as they chased us to get their trade packs back. Glorious it was.

This game here. I dunno...all foreign MMOs released over here die a horrible death. Usually because of poor anti-cheat. A one from Russia is most certain going to be a hackers paradise. But I'll try anything so I might have a look,

I don't think it's that they die a death. They just tend to plod along with their non-Wow sized subscriber base getting on with things in a way that doesn't attract many articles on websites.

I unlocked the second large open world area tonight. A seaside resort port. Very uphill so far. I switched from my Lightbringer to the Paladin for a break and I'm starting to get a feel for the class now. I still need more skills unlocking though.

oVVqkgY.jpgFEvGxlj.jpgjsOKJ3B.jpg