rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Comrade

Murder in Successville

Since I imagine that many would have missed this, since it's on BBC3, I urge you all to watch Murder in Successville, as the first episode is one of the funniest things I've seen on TV in a while.

It's basically like a noire-themed Stella Street where actors play anachronistic versions of real-life celebrities. But the twist is that every episode an actual celebrity (i.e. played by themselves) has to solve a murder. They have no idea what's going on, and the rest of the cast improv around them. The first episode had some guy from Made in Chelsea who I'd never heard of, but he was very game and played along, but frequently couldn't stop himself from corpsing, which was hilarious.

I kind of feel like I haven't sold it very well there - but it's only half an hour long, and I encourage you to watch it, even if you don't give a shit about Made in Chelsea or celebrities.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05tr5f0/murder-in-successville-1-the-mob

• Upvote 1

I wanted to like this but thought it was really shit. The trailer made it look like it was harking back to when BBC Three made off the wall comedies that were funny (Shirley Ghostman, thank you)

But I just thought this was too forced and not that funny. I'm not sure if you're supposed to be laughing with, or at, the celebrity.

Some of it was not bad (Jimmy Carr's laugh was spot on), but it was a bit amateurish.... It wouldn't be that bad if BBC Three were making lots of comedies, but the output seems to be mostly shit anyway.

I thought it was ok, at least it's imaginative. Police Chief 'Gordon Ramsay' was my fave. Looking forward to the next ep anyway!

By rights, this should be the worst TV programme ever, but I absolutely pissed myself laughing at the episodes I've seen. It works better when the "star" is really uncomfortable and on the back foot - the episodes with Deborah Meaden and Dermot O'Leary weren't quite as funny, as they're so unflappable and self-confident that they weren't really fazed by the improv stuff, whereas the ones with the guy from Made In Chelsea and someone from Radio 1 were hilarious thanks to the corpsing and freaking out.

Bits of it fall very flat, but that's to be expected with improv, and the funny bits are absolutely superb.

• Upvote 1

Anyone watching Action Team? It's a spoof spy comedy starring and written by Tom Davis, the guy behind Murder in Successville. ITV2 on Mondays.

I just watched the first episode of this, with Jamie Laing, and was laughing a lot. Harry Styles.

Looking forward to watching some more.