IGNORED

Koji Igarashi's Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Dig Dug

@dumpster

Yeah I suppose that helps but I personally don’t like having to replay a game a second time if I’ve gone over about the 20 hour mark on the initial play through. I did get into it and by the end you can quickly zip around very easily with the accelerator boost shard and jump infinitely (which I never noticed for ages) by pressing the back step button while in the air. 

It was good though and for the time it took, it was alright as I’ve played lots of games that clock up more than 50 hours. 

2 hours ago, chris on the moon said:

Ì got given this for Xmas, and I've just started this week. I'm really unhappy about how ugly this looks on the switch. Things look generally ok when they're still but as soon as they start moving it's a complete mess. Particularly the player character. The frame rate and resolution are just poor.

Ungrateful cunt.

Picked it up from Argos Clearance like @Santas Boyfriend

I'm enjoying it. The opening area has a fair bit of interest, loot and so on to pull you along. Positive start.

I've not installed the update yet but I'm thinking I should. I'm finding the Rat shard is quite useful but creates some hefty chugging in the frame rate and got comically bad when I unleashed one in a room with 3 enemies.
It's not enough to put me off playing but it's a yikes all the same.

So I finally got around to playing this properly this weekend having played the Galleon portion on both Xbox and PC. Decided to give the Switch version a go as it's more convenient for me being able to haul it around with me. More on that later.

The game itself is great. Full disclosure: I am a rather large Igavania fanboy. Symphony of the Night is one of my favourite games of all-time, and I loved all the GBA/DS Castlevanias. I went into this knowing that it'd have to fuck up pretty seriously to disappoint me and it hasn't... yet. I have just fought the twin dragons on the tower, got my credentials, done the train bit and then got the reflect ray shortly after. Currently going back around the map hoovering up all the little spots on the map I couldn't get to that are now open to me. It's managed to capture that eagerness to explore and complete the map that all the old Castlevania games did, which is great.

Being able to use a lot of the familiar monsters from the Castlevania games helps, of course. I like the little cooking and item-finding sidequests as they play into the completionist part of me that wants to find everything, craft everything and try all the equipment whilst beating all the monsters. Grinding for shards should, in all reality, be incredibly tedious and yet there I am, scrubbing left/right between two screens to respawn something in the hope that the shard will pop when I down it.

The Switch version isn't as bad as I had feared, although it is a considerable step down from the two other version I played (mostly in framerate). The first tower of the two dragon towers was okay, but the second of them (on the way back down) was really sluggish when it came to framerate. Most indoor areas that I have seen so far, to be fair, seem to perform either perfectly fine or at least reasonably well now. It's perfectly playable and I've been so absorbed by what I've been doing that I've rarely had much pause to be too critical, but yeah - it isn't as good as you'd imagine it possibly should be quite yet.

Still, it's a great game and I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. Looking forward to the getting back tonight and getting stuck in again!

I was just looking at the Last of us 2 thread and was reminded of something in this game that I thought was cool (something to with a theme for the PS altering depending on time). Nothing new but did anyone notice the way that alchemy guy (forgotten his name) would often say "Staying up late tonight are we". I didn't clock on for a while until I noticed it was only ever when I was playing at night and so must have been synch'd up with the PS4 clock.

• 2 weeks later...

Fell through the floor in a boss battle the other day

ERJm5faUUAAoRyP.thumb.jpg.0eb72c0f3d4a26ab7ba024bd4b04eb23.jpg

Overall I'm not too happy about the way this game progresses. It was about five hours before I got a real ability upgrade. Kept getting lost, going back and forth to all the different gaps on the map to try and find out where to go. At one point I managed to make progress because I was just speaking to all the characters for no real reason. Didn't make sense and didn't feel great!

I think I'm a little stuck again.

I've just recently done the Oriental Garden and beat yer Samurai man for his sword.

I've since scoured the map for new routes and found and beat the Carpenter mini boss plus the 8 bit secret area mini-boss. Both very hard fights! Alas, nothing presents new route wise. Just a symbol and candles next to Shard upgrader dude. Is there another place I'm overlooking?

I just beat Gebel (?) with the donated sword (Zangatsu?) but just got the bad ending again.

@TheShend

I remember getting stuck during the same bit. I read up what the trophy was you should have just received recently (likely the last one you got) and the way it was written confused me. 

It wasn’t until I worked something out a while later that I then understood what the trophy meant...Then I got lost again for a while...

I think there is no shame in using a walkthrough. There are a couple of illogical puzzles, for example if you need a particular shard to get past water, it should automatically give it you at the right time.  Having to go in and out of a room killing the same enemy over and over until you get it is unfair when it's a "need" rather than a "would like"

Game of the year, despite that.

Yeah I suppose I was lucky on that one as it dropped straight away and I spotted it. 

The other one was literally found at the very last moment as I’d finished searching every remaining accessible area (bar the bit you are trying to get to by collecting the item which I tried once and sustained loads of damage but wondered if it was possible with potions), and as I was about to leave realising I now had no idea where to go next, I suddenly tried something out and found it. At that moment I knew this would be an easy miss. I’d seen the chest too somewhere else and tried for like 15 mins to get to it but couldn’t. It hides it a bit too well for an essential item. 

I was reading up generally about the game after I’d finished it all and trying to get the platinum and it was apparently made with the intention socially discussing findings online. 

The portal to the final section was one of those penny drops moments when I realised I had a memory of a place that reminded me of the boss fight area. I was stuck there for a while. I remember seeing that place for the first time and think It looked cool as it was unexpected, but being a dark castle in a demonic environment anything goes. 

Well I "finished" this on a basic level, but it was obviously the worst possible ending. Add to that I had only discovered below 50 percent of the map, it's obvious I have a lot more too do. For one moment I thought I'd hit a wall, but then remembered 

Spoiler

that I had won some sort of blood absorbing shard. It had been bothering me since I initially noticed that the room with the blood bath had a wee gap at the bottom so I wondered if I used the shard in that room.....

Up to about 60 percent now and I'm marveling how I was feeling pretty overpowered for a while but now feel like I can get my ass handed to me by the standard enemies in the newly discovered area. What a game!

I feel like such an idiot. I got to a point where I was wandering around for ages covering the same old ground. I totally didn't need to be doing this as I found out 

Spoiler

That I didn't need any mirrored panels to use the reflector beam. I was racking my brain for a way to get through all those small gaps and I had the means all the time. 

Anyway once that was figured out I have started making more progress. Now at around 75% and just finished exploring a couple of new areas. A lot more has opened up, thanks to 

Spoiler

the invert shard

Can't wait to backtrack and get some of those items that I couldn't get before. 

80 percent now and another wall hit. I know I still have a fight with the 

Spoiler

master carpenter 

but I don't think that will open up a path when I beat him. Can't see anymore open areas on the map apart from where the end of game boss guy is located. On the brighter side I did find a "hidden" fight by accident last night while ambling around 

Spoiler

on the train. Sat for a while and looked out the window and some strange demon with flailing arms appeared. I beat him but didn't seem to get any reward for it. Pretty cool though. 

I may have to look again with a fresh pair of eyes. 

2 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

80 percent now and another wall hit. I know I still have a fight with the 

Reveal hidden contents

master carpenter 

but I don't think that will open up a path when I beat him. Can't see anymore open areas on the map apart from where the end of game boss guy is located. On the brighter side I did find a "hidden" fight by accident last night while ambling around 

Reveal hidden contents

on the train. Sat for a while and looked out the window and some strange demon with flailing arms appeared. I beat him but didn't seem to get any reward for it. Pretty cool though. 

I may have to look again with a fresh pair of eyes. 

I’m on the fight with the first guy you mentioned too, but I’m not having much luck and the save point is so far away that I’m a mess but the time I reach him. 

Might just sack him off and go for the main boss unless others here can say if he’s worth it?

I’ve enjoyed this game for what it is but I think I just want it done now.

The monster on the train drops a shard, like every other monster, but it is a pain - I think I got it on the third go, but as you mentioned you have to sit on the train for a while to make it appear. I've said before, there's no shame in googling a walkthrough on this one - that's a great example of something a single player is unlikely to discover on their own.  You have to discover the monster first, then do it again and again until it drops the shard. Why would anyone on a regular playthrough do that?  

Finally finished this last night. Have to say that the end couple of sections were quite disappointing with a lot of recycled stuff. Think I finished at 97 percent but don't know if I can be assed mopping up the final bits.

One question though: if I start a new game plus does all my skills and inventory carry over? If any of you people have done the new game plus option did you consider it worthwhile or a bit "meh"?

5 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

Finally finished this last night. Have to say that the end couple of sections were quite disappointing with a lot of recycled stuff. Think I finished at 97 percent but don't know if I can be assed mopping up the final bits.

One question though: if I start a new game plus does all my skills and inventory carry over? If any of you people have done the new game plus option did you consider it worthwhile or a bit "meh"?

new game plus is great. Dashing around with acellerator on permanently, with the equipment that stops the magic running down. Awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

Despite this game seemingly falling apart the further I was in, there's just something about it which has compelled me to 100% it. Even 100% things which the game doesn't give you a stat for. I am stupidly OP.

I think I'd like to play this game again at some point in the future but running stable and looking dandy. Maybe the Xbox Series X will make it run like a dream via BC wizardry? With what I've learned doing late game stuff, I'd play this differently from the off.

Some tips which have been invaluable to avoid the more mean drop rates.

First time you get Gold, Dismantle it down via Johannes and then immediately Craft it. Voila, it'll be in the shop to buy. Money is easier to farm to buy Gold than hoping for loot or dismantling gear (Ayamur/Flame Mail)
Getting your Luck stat as high as possible is really important when going farming for anything (Money, Items, Shards). I can get it to 135, which will happily give $2000 bag drops, send shards flying and see decent items fall at my feet.
Swapping out Augment Luck for Red Remembrance is good for this. Knock you health down to between 100 to 200 (spikes/environmental hazards work quick) and my luck goes from 105 with end game equipment and maxed Aug LCK, to 135. All your other stats jump too so you hit heavier and take less damage.
Money is Power and Alchemy Bounty are important to max out in Rank and Grade.
If you can Craft or Prepare something with a maxed or high Alchemy Bounty, you'll get as many as 5 rather than 1. Super useful if what you crafted had a difficult to obtain drop, as you can now Dismantle the surplus items to release the rare drop for use elsewhere. Rinse & Repeat. I'm doing this for the 8 bit Nightmare book necessary if you want to upgrade those 19 weapons you buy with the 8 bit and then 16bit coins, to their final 32bit coin upgrade.
Things you craft/prepare are available in the shop to buy. If you don't get surplus during the crafting, equip Money is Power, sell your surplus stock at higher rates to raise $ and buy what you made for dismantling to release rare drops for future craft/prep or shard enhancement.

I'm 100% on everything bar enemies (2 remain which is the Final Boss and Final Boss phase 2), Skills (<40%) and Map (99.8%, I assume the last boss area is final 0.2%).

I'm also maxing the Rank & Grade of every shard in the game bar the few where that's impossible (1 off boss shards). It's fun to see what carnage these things can bring but I don't think there's a single regular enemy, even in Den of Behemoths, a lot of them won't 1 shot.

So, so OP.

I've got a Gunslinger shortcut which handily deals over a 1200 damage and I know the 32bit gun deals even more.
My farming shortcut with Red Remembrance will annihilate the 8bit Overlord before he completes his first attack wave.
I remember properly fearing the Carpenter optional boss, taking ages and burning through all healing items and recipes, but can now waltz in there and happily give him space to summon Demon Lords as I was after their Fiend Heart drops! 
Weirdly, defeating Millionaires Baine, The Carpenter or the Simon Belmont rip off, will reset the Blue Chests without the need to leave the area via a red door. 

Speaking of Shortcuts, I'm missing 3. I assume there'll be unlocked if I find them again in NG+ ?

This game has crashed a lot. Kicked me back to the home screen, hanged for what felt like an eternity and turns my screen into a strobe light disco when shards appear. When the Dantalion familiar starts to cast, a hot mess of yellow and purple disco goes off. Some rooms take an age to load no matter the ingress point, almost sapping my will to farm something. Almost. Yet despite all that, I feel compelled to utterly rinse it.

@TheShend

Shortcuts - When I was getting 100% for the platinum, I remember wondering this myself and looked it up to find it's actually something you get apparently from the DLC. I think it's called IGAS DLC or something and seemed quite insubstantion enough to not bother with at all. There's also an unlockable haircut you will notice which stays locked which is another thing that's part of the same DLC. 

I take it you are playing the Switch version if you're ending up with crashes? I know I didn't have many issues at all on the PS4. 

The Carpenter boss was one I feared too until I'd really levelled up and got his own ability to use against him, the scissor attack levelled up to max. I loved creating a connecting arc of scissors (levelleing up you fire so many a second) and jumping the screen upside down. I could kill him without getting hit at that point.