IGNORED

Koji Igarashi's Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Dig Dug

Put a few hours into this on gamepass. Absolutely hooked. No idea how far i am but I'm enjoying just running around and exploring. Only thing i keep forgetting to do is craft/buy some potions as i must have lost about 45 mins of progress last night by dying and got so annoyed i had to stop for the night. 

• 4 weeks later...

Update today:

(Edit: 'Later this month' on Switch)

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (developed by ArtPlay): Koji Igarashi’s (Castlevania Symphony of the Night) debut hit from indie studio ArtPlay receives a new playable campaign character Zangetsu today and introduces Randomizer mode to the game. 

Anyone else playing the new Zangetsu mode? It's been great getting back into this game because it's fantastic. Zangetsu feels very solid to play, with a good selection of moves, double jump from the start and fast movement speed. the gameplay feels more like a streets of rage or shinobi kind of thing. The character is overpowered from the start but I'm not sure where this is going to go because other than pickups which increase maximum HP, and cash drops , there are no other characters and no items at all. There are no shards , and no need to set up profiles of familiars. It really strips the game down to its basics but then overpowers it and speeds it up. I've struggled on one or two of the bosses because you can't just spam attacks like you could originally. I assume the shop will turn up later so I can spend the money have collected, but the lack of items removes the running order and makes it less obvious where you're supposed to be going. Anyone else playing?

In response to myself, playing as Zangetsu is really strangely unbalanced. In my previous post I was really enjoying it  and part of that is because you're back playing bloodstained again and bloodstained is fantastic. But as I said in my previous post Zangetsu is way overpowered and I was assuming that this would balance out during play. But it really doesn't. The character is great, with special moves that feel really weighty, whilst being light enough to let you explore, but the character is sooo powerful.

Now I have to assume that this is an intentional gameplay feature, but if you press the L trigger button you can chain attacks and jumps, making your character jump up as high as you like. Forget double jumps, you can do about 20 before your magic runs out. You'd think this was a bug because it lets you get everywhere in the Castle, but it can't be because all the items have been removed from the game so you can't invert or use shards to get to these normally unreachable places. 

I have uncovered 75% of the map in just under 2 hours of play, waltzed through boss battles in seconds using Zangetsu's special magic, and really have no idea what I'm doing other than colouring in the map again.

But whilst 95% of the game now seems to be astonishingly easy, those five boss rooms that required special keys are extremely hard. In this new mode it is feast or famine as these bosses kick your arse when the entire rest of the game is a doddle.

I also don't know how to get into the last area, because there's no items and you can kill that boss without getting the bad ending.

So it feels like the new character and removal of all pick up items has turned the game into one big colouring in exercise and hasn't added anything new at all. 2-days ago I love this but now it's a bit tedious.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought this this week and fuck me I’m enjoying it so much. The only other Metroidvania type game I’ve played is SOTN which I loved, and this just feels like a loving tribute to it with added modern twists. It’s making me really happy. I love the massive amount of shards there are and trying to find the powerful ones.  

About 25% through the map and can’t wait for the rest of it.

I got this recently also, having fancied a Castlevania after watching that Netflix series.

The only true Castlevania I've played before was Circle of the Moon on GBA, but I totally rinsed that 100% on all characters etc.

I tried Hollow Knight but it was too slow and ponderous for me. This is exactly the itch I was wanting to scratch. I've just got the double jump and the fist grab moves, and I'm something like 25% map explored.

Really enjoying it so far.

I accidentally "finished" the game last night, defeating Gebel really easily. But it seems clear that's a lame ending and I've got to explore more: I've explored less than half the map so far and there's at least one boss I've been told about but haven't seen. Plus doors I can't unlock etc.

I'm still very much enjoying it. There's a few minor things I find annoying (that the light beam movement maps to an existing shard slot is annoying, for example) but the basic game of it is exactly what I was hoping for.

On 28/05/2020 at 10:07, Uncle Mike said:

I accidentally "finished" the game last night, defeating Gebel really easily. But it seems clear that's a lame ending and I've got to explore more: I've explored less than half the map so far and there's at least one boss I've been told about but haven't seen. Plus doors I can't unlock etc.

I'm still very much enjoying it. There's a few minor things I find annoying (that the light beam movement maps to an existing shard slot is annoying, for example) but the basic game of it is exactly what I was hoping for.

Ha I did the same thing. Think its a call back to SOTN where something similar happens. There is tons more in the game i've seen already after that... you're nowhere near the end yet.

Also agree on the light beam thing - same with the shard that lets you swim too! Having to do a lot of swapping.

Near the end (I think). Finding Den of Behemoths a bit... crap? Feels like sort of rushed compared to the rest of the game. Just resized reskinned versions of previous baddies. Giant Bats? Theres even a couple of giant rats that you encounter originally right at the start of the game and they do the same damage as back then. 

7 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Near the end (I think). Finding Den of Behemoths a bit... crap? Feels like sort of rushed compared to the rest of the game. Just resized reskinned versions of previous baddies. Giant Bats? Theres even a couple of giant rats that you encounter originally right at the start of the game and they do the same damage as back then. 

Yes, it's a little disappointing when you're going for 100% because that big room is about 10% of the map on its own and you suddenly realise you're further in than you thought. Still game of the year though.

Really enjoyed this, now finished. Defeated all the optional bosses and got to 99.50% map completion (don’t know if I can be arsed to search every nook and cranny to get 100%). I would have gone for 100% on every bit as a younger man I reckon but seems a waste of valuable gaming time these days!

1 hour ago, dizogg said:

Really enjoyed this, now finished. Defeated all the optional bosses and got to 99.50% map completion (don’t know if I can be arsed to search every nook and cranny to get 100%). I would have gone for 100% on every bit as a younger man I reckon but seems a waste of valuable gaming time these days!

If it helps , you're not far off.  None of the map is hidden away, and each block of the map is .10% so you're 5 rooms away and you can probably see them on your map already.

44 minutes ago, dizogg said:

That’s not true, some of the rooms are hidden right? Like they’re behind walls you have to smash to get through.

That's true  but if you are on 99.5 then you will already have found them all. For example  the 8 bit section is hidden behind a wall  but it's greater than half a percent. As far as I remember , normal colouring in gets you 100% as long as you're playing the game to completion.

I must have found them all by using the Welcome Company familiar too much. I definitely got 100% without making the effort other than looking for gaps on the map screen and colouring them in. Happy to stand corrected though.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally started playing this, and first impressions are that it's absolutely brilliant. A few hours in, and this truly plays, looks and sounds like a high-quality igavania. I don't get the bad rep this used to have. And I'm playing the allegedly terrible Switch version - ever since the GBA, I want my igavania games to be playable on the go.

Seems like an awesome game, and I can't wait to dive in.

4 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Finally started playing this, and first impressions are that it's absolutely brilliant. A few hours in, and this truly plays, looks and sounds like a high-quality igavania. I don't get the bad rep this used to have. And I'm playing the allegedly terrible Switch version - ever since the GBA, I want my igavania games to be playable on the go.

Seems like an awesome game, and I can't wait to dive in.

The Switch version had its issues, most of which I believe are patched.  But on Xbox and Ps4 I don't think it ever had a bad rep, did it?  It's a fantastic game!

On 10/06/2020 at 14:31, Down by Law said:

Bloodstained seems like the last game that needs a DLC roadmap. Personally I'd rather them do a follow up than spend a year making updates that look like they would be fun for five minutes.

100% agree. Loved the game and got the platinum trophy for it and cannot be arsed with any of this DLC. Would much prefer a new game. 

Looks excellent! Here's hoping it carries over the design sensibilities from the first one - the rich, dense stages and the clear influence of e.g. Mega Man Zero on the bosses. The new playable characters all look interesting and equally viable, and I love that Dominique's moves are partly based on Eric Lecarde's. :D