IGNORED

Koji Igarashi's Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Dig Dug

53 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

I'm annoyed with myself for having to ask, but I seem to be stuck. I've discovered 75.5% of the map and have recently done:

Hide contents

the Inferno Cave and received the Invert shard.

I've mopped up as many of the remaining areas as I can, minus what I believe are optional bosses that are locked away by keys I don't have (the Millionaire's Key and the Warhorse's Key specifically. That said, I've discovered the Carpenter's Key but have no idea where the Carpenter's Door is) so I'm a bit baffled as to where to go next. 

Could anyone give me a non-spoilery hint please?

My map looks like this

Hide contents

IMG_20200809_130920.thumb.jpg.0f92d87bc4a4f3ea3aa5cc4615c3c633.jpg

There's no shame in asking and the Dev said in an interview that he designed the game to be a collaborative experience where people share ideas and methods.  Because some of the items are a little too hidden.  There's a clue in that map.  Look for the areas that have not got a solid line around the rooms . The first tall pillar on your map ( left hand side) shows there's somehere up there that you can go.  Invert will help you get there.  But there may be spikes that stop you getting past so you'll need something to break the spikes, a sort of spike breaker if you will.  

Having said that, you may have fallen into the trap I did so you might just need a proper spoiler.... Give me two mins

Yes the spike breaker armour is the unfair item. It's well hidden but now you have invert you can do this.

I think the game design is flawed at this point because you can colour in that square earlier when you are inside the tower. I think it should stay blank to give you a clue that you missed something. If you did already have that square coloured in there's no apparent reason to back there and you get stuck. It's the only bit if the game where that happens but it is a bit rubbish to be honest. 

Cheers!

The reason the square is coloured in is because I picked up one of the chests in that area but didn't realise that the chest I couldn't figure out how to reach was the important one.

I agree that hiding a necessary item like that is a bit weird (a bit like the shard you need to move about in water) but no game is perfect and I've enjoyed myself for the most part.

I plan to get all the achievements, but have a horrible feeling that getting/creating all the items is going to be a colossal grind.

• 1 month later...

Really enjoying revisiting this game with the randomiser feature.  I'm not sure how they have managed it, but I've not been able to  get stuck despite taking a different approach to the routing. I got the reflector ray which helped as I'm over 50% through and still don't have the double jump, and as the game has only given me one familiar so far (and a rubbish one at that) the gameplay is now a combination of switching between directional weapons and the reflector ray when I need to get somewhere that's too tall for my single jump. It's required a lot more skill than the usual route and I'm really enjoying it.  

I remember seeing that chest when i was around the tower area trying to figure out how to get to it and spent a good 15 mins or so trying to work out how to get to it as it was so close yet so far. It was only after giving up and leaving the area that it clicked and took me by surprise. It surprised me even more when I realised what the item was as I knew it could have been easily missed. 

Struggling now. 80% map cleared on randomiser and the memory that the last 20% is Den of Bohemoths. So does anyone know how to 

Not get the bad ending, slice the moon instead then jump into the red moon to access the last area...

... When the games has been randomised and I don't have the Zangetsu sword even though I did kill Zangetsu?

Spoiler alert, but the randomiser mode randomises whatever you choose on the opening screen settings. It does not keep the "A unlocks B" items in order. So if it puts a key behind a locked door you're wasting your time playing it.  A very stupid oversight. Sure  you can use Dimension Shift to get to most places, but if Zangetsu Sword is placed inside Den of Bohemoths then you can get to the last 20%

• 2 weeks later...

Played through again from scratch after buying it on steam via a sale.

This is a great fucking game. So good. Only issue I actually have is that leveling shards can only be done by repeatedly killing the same enemy instead of naturally gaining XP as you play, leading to a lot of going into a room, killing, exiting, going back in and killing, rinse and repeat. 

That's about it. The rest is gold, and I want a sequel now.

• 1 month later...

They should have called this game Boobstained: Big Breasts of the Night. 

Pretty good though. 

Edit - actually, what they should have called it is Symphony of the Night 2. It’s lawyer-bait. 

Edit 2 - this is awesome!

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/12/2020 at 10:49, Paulando said:

Did the Switch version of this ever get patched into a playable state, or is it still an absolute dumpster fire?

I noticed it has a fairly hefty discount on the eShop...

I know there were problems with the Switch version and there have been patches, but I'm not sure how much it was fixed. However I think a lot of the criticism of the Switch version was that it was basically the weakest version, but the game itself is still brilliant, just a shame it's not as good. I'd get it at the sale price, looking back through this thread I've pretty much played it for nearly 18 months.

Switch version is stable now. 30fps last time I checked. It lacks some graphical effects, but in my opinion that looks a bit better than the OTT stuff on the other consoles. Loading times can still be excessive but the game is playable imo. 

I supported this on Kickstarter, but didn't actually play it until a couple of weeks ago. Not completely sure why - I think I found the main character a bit tragic, with her boob tube and miniskirt, and was annoyed that the visuals were in this 2.5D PS2 game style. But man, it's so good - nicely pitched difficulty level, so it's relatively easy and you make constant progress, but still deeply satisfying to uncover the map and gradually open up your abilities.

Some of it seems very grindy. It would be nice if upgrading the shards followed a bit more of a curve - as it is, some of them can be upgraded very early, while some seem to languish at level one indefinitely. And it crashes a lot - even on the most recent patch, I've had four or five crashes to the front end, occasionally losing a bit of progress. But otherwise, this is great - exactly the kind of thing Konami should have been doing with Castlevania all these years.

5 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Miriam is an absolute delight and we're lucky to have her.

I warmed to her, but I’m a bit bored of woman protagonists in games who fight evil in high-heeled boots, a miniskirt and a low cut top. It all felt a bit adolescent. 

On 22/12/2020 at 07:10, dumpster said:

I know there were problems with the Switch version and there have been patches, but I'm not sure how much it was fixed. However I think a lot of the criticism of the Switch version was that it was basically the weakest version, but the game itself is still brilliant, just a shame it's not as good. I'd get it at the sale price, looking back through this thread I've pretty much played it for nearly 18 months.

On 22/12/2020 at 07:18, Cyhwuhx said:

Switch version is stable now. 30fps last time I checked. It lacks some graphical effects, but in my opinion that looks a bit better than the OTT stuff on the other consoles. Loading times can still be excessive but the game is playable imo. 

I’ve actually remembered what was so awful about the Switch version originally - it had horrendous input lag. Made it unplayable for me. It seems that’s all sorted now as I did buy it on sale and I’ve had no problems so far. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

If you are aged 25 or over the new DLC has been released.

If you are under 25, the new DLC has "dropped".

Either way, it's a new classic mode and a new crossover mode. And as always, it is free, making this surely one or the best value games of all time. Just as you finish the content you have they give you something more, all free.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eurogamer.net/amp/2021-01-14-bloodstained-ritual-of-the-nights-retro-inspired-classic-mode-is-out-today

5 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

I need to get back and finish this game, but those last few achievements are so grindy, it's putting me off the rest of the game. :(

Note that you can rebuy items you've crafted at the shop, rather than recraft them again for various crafting branches. I'd also recommend boosting your Luck stat above all else.

9 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

I need to get back and finish this game, but those last few achievements are so grindy, it's putting me off the rest of the game. :(

If you want to platinum you can grind individual items on separate playthroughs if that helps. Use a walkthrough to see what you are missing, look at where to go to get those items and pick them up next time you play.  

Classic Mode is good fun. It's almost exactly patterned after CV1, to the extent that you can predict what the next stage or boss will be, but if you view it as a tribute to that game, it's a very solid one. It has some really excellent bits of level design, too, with varied terrain, smart enemy placement and some interesting tricky spots, etc, although it does rely on Dullahammer heads (this series' Medusa heads) a little too often. Miriam's moveset borrows from later games in the series, which helps to keep things feeling fresh - she has the backflip from Rondo (which can now be triggered during a forward jump, so if you turn around in mid-air before doing it you essentially get a double jump), an extra input to increase the strength of whip attacks, and a slide which rebounds off enemies, putting you at a safe distance after using it.

That this is a free addition to the series that matches the other games' quality for the most part is pretty incredible.

I got more fun out of it when I bought it for about £20 years ago than I've had out of God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Marvel's Spider-Man and Assassin's Creed Valhalla (the last 'big' games I've played) combined. I haven't even been back to look at the new stuff they've added, and it's comfortably one the most fun gaming experiences I've had in at least a decade.

• 3 weeks later...

This game is broken. 

I don't mean "the gameplay is broken". I mean it's literally broken. It has crashed out - without even an error message - 6 times in the last two days on an Xbox Series S. 

All around the hub area, which in theory should limit the pain, except its happened twice when I've warped back to ensure I could save as I didn't want to lose progress. It is absolutely sapping my will to play the game. 

• 3 weeks later...