Jump to content
IGNORED

Audible...and other audiobook delivery mechanisms that may or may not be available


ZOK
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Timmo said:

2 for 1 sale now with some amazing books this time.

 

https://www.audible.co.uk/special-promo/2for1

 

Thanks for this! Not much in the SF section really other than Necronomicon which I highly recommend, but there are some great classics to be had. I picked up Jamaica Inn, Anna Karenina, The Great Gatsby, Fahrenheit 451, War & Peace vol 1 and Crime and Punishment for 3 credits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Incidentally, has anyone read any Doris Lessing? I’m listening to The Golden Notebook at the moment, which I’ve been meaning to get around to for at least twenty years!

 

It’s a superb narration by Juliet Stephenson, quite interesting in its way as I’ve heard her make a couple of misreads which they don’t edit out, she just re-reads them, which I’ve not heard before.

 

What an amazing book though. I’m only seven hours down of the 27 and it’s blowing my mind how good it is, I keep having to rewind it because if I worry that if I miss a sentence when I get distracted I’ve missed something really important.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/03/2019 at 09:58, ZOK said:

Incidentally, has anyone read any Doris Lessing? I’m listening to The Golden Notebook at the moment, which I’ve been meaning to get around to for at least twenty years!

 

It’s a superb narration by Juliet Stephenson, quite interesting in its way as I’ve heard her make a couple of misreads which they don’t edit out, she just re-reads them, which I’ve not heard before.

 

What an amazing book though. I’m only seven hours down of the 27 and it’s blowing my mind how good it is, I keep having to rewind it because if I worry that if I miss a sentence when I get distracted I’ve missed something really important.

 

I’ve got about 12 hours left to go, and this is so good. Already one of my favourite audiobooks. I actually found myself gasp out loud at a plot point the other day, I’m so caught up in it.

 

A superlative novel, and a superlative narration.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I'm listening to Fooled by Randomness by Nassim Nicholas Taleb‎.

 

Like all Audiobooks I have to keep going back and re-listening to bits but it's really compelling.

 

It's about how humans (in particular market traders) are sort of biologically wired to be fooled into thinking that random events are predictable, and how we always seem to think track record is a predictor of future success but fail to take into account things like survivorship bias.

 

It's one of those things I now can't stop thinking about in every day life, like when considering how on earth a particular person managed to rise so high in the company you're working at.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I recently listened to The Great Gatsby narrated by Jake Gyllenhaal and Fahrenheit 451 narrated by Tim Robbins.

 

No need to crit the books, but both were excellent narrations. Special mention for Tim Robbins though, his performance narration was simply superb, ranks alongside the best I’ve heard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Audible's current anniversary £3 sale is really great: each day there are at least a couple of books I want - I'm having to hold myself back from ordering more than just one or two each day. Today I picked up Murakami's Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, and yesterday The Sellout by Paul Beatty and The Lies of Locke Lamora - all of which were on my 'to get' list.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Timmo said:

 

My favourite audiobook - you're in for a treat

 

I tried reading it years ago after everyone on here went on about it, and gave up after a bit, though I can't remember why now. It's actually largely down to your posts on here that I'm giving it another go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm new to the world of audible having signed up for a free trial the other month to get Good Omens.

 

Are these 2 for 1 sales a perpetual thing? I bought 3 extra credits and have just grabbed Pattern Recognition and the Douglas Adams book and it would be quite easy to blow the other two on 4 other titles in the next few days but it might also be worth my while waiting for the next sale assuming they're regular.

 

Also, is the BBC dramatization of the 7 Discworld novels decent?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 02/07/2019 at 15:55, DirkCrisis said:

Are these 2 for 1 sales a perpetual thing? I bought 3 extra credits and have just grabbed Pattern Recognition and the Douglas Adams book and it would be quite easy to blow the other two on 4 other titles in the next few days but it might also be worth my while waiting for the next sale assuming they're regular.

 

https://www.audible.co.uk/special-promo/2for1

 

There's one on now until Tuesday 13th. Tempted by Doug Stanhope's autobiography, Great Gatsby, Fahrenheit 451 and Normal People. 

 

Bought Hyperion recently to read but anyone know if the audiobook is decent? Not sure which way to consume! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just got hold of Hyperion and the oft-recommended "We are Legion".

 

However, I don't understand how these daily deals are supposed to work. The first Eisenhorn book was on sale yesterday for £2 but the site appeared to want me to add it as part of a 2 for one and pay with credits (which are obviously more expensive than paying £2). I feel like a confused Baby Boomer but I don't understand the mechanism which would have allowed me to simply pay £2 for Eisenhorn by itself rather than buy it as part of a 2 for 1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Stopharage said:

 

https://www.audible.co.uk/special-promo/2for1

 

There's one on now until Tuesday 13th. Tempted by Doug Stanhope's autobiography, Great Gatsby, Fahrenheit 451 and Normal People. 

 

Bought Hyperion recently to read but anyone know if the audiobook is decent? Not sure which way to consume! 

 

Tim Robbins’ Fahrenheit 451 is one of the best Audible narrations I’ve ever heard. 

 

The Great Gatsby is also very good (if it’s the Jake Gyllenhaal one).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/07/2019 at 15:55, DirkCrisis said:

Also, is the BBC dramatization of the 7 Discworld novels decent?

 

The reviews on the site seem to suggest the audio quality is a bit poop.    did you buy it in the end?     I'm tempted. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/08/2019 at 10:49, DirkCrisis said:

Just got hold of Hyperion and the oft-recommended "We are Legion".

 

However, I don't understand how these daily deals are supposed to work. The first Eisenhorn book was on sale yesterday for £2 but the site appeared to want me to add it as part of a 2 for one and pay with credits (which are obviously more expensive than paying £2). I feel like a confused Baby Boomer but I don't understand the mechanism which would have allowed me to simply pay £2 for Eisenhorn by itself rather than buy it as part of a 2 for 1.

 

I just cancelled Hyperion as I didn't get on with the narration. In part, it was because there were an awful lot of sci-fi terminology (creatures, races, planets etc) that you need to see (and decipher) in print. Found it pretty off-putting and had to keep replaying sentences. I think I'm going to struggle if there isn't a single narrator. 

 

Anyway, cancelled it and the free book I got (Doug Stanhope) remained in my library. Meant I could then get Great Gatsby and Fahrenheit 451 with my single refunded credited. Meaning my 2 for 1 deal has become a 3 for 1 deal. Not sure whether it's an Audible oversight or if they'll cancel the Stanhope audiobook in time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.