GameCube Appreciation Thread

strider

Bought a PAL GameCube at launch, from Woolworths, bundled with Luigi’s Mansion and Rogue Leader. I remember being rather annoyed that it only outputted composite. Good value at launch though, even when factoring in the cost of buying a memory card and Super Monkey Ball separately.

Since replaced my original ‘Cube and games with an NTSC collection around 2009/10, before it became a collectible machine. Still my favourite console in my retro collection which isn’t a Super Famicom. ;) 

My first import console, which also means I missed out on the discount (and paid customs fees). I get bent over so hard I can still feel it in my vertebrae on a cold day.

No regrets though, best console ever and reaped the rewards of the 2$=£1 exchange rate getting new releases from vgp for less than £30 delivered, plus the trading forums on NTSC-UK and then here. My first foray into RGB cables too, the modded saurian cable was just stunning, then a few years later coupled with a 480p Panasonic PD30 via component it would still look beautiful by todays standards.

I have a vague feeling that the guy I bought it off sent me the wrong games too, Rogue Leader and Monkey Ball (I assume I wanted Luigi's Mansion and something else, which I picked up not long after) but god those games were so good.

11 minutes ago, phresh said:

My first import console, which also means I missed out on the discount (and paid customs fees). I get bent over so hard I can still feel it in my vertebrae on a cold day.

No regrets though, best console ever and reaped the rewards of the 2$=£1 exchange rate getting new releases from vgp for less than £30 delivered, plus the trading forums on NTSC-UK and then here. My first foray into RGB cables too, the modded saurian cable was just stunning, then a few years later coupled with a 480p Panasonic PD30 via component it would still look beautiful by todays standards.

I have a vague feeling that the guy I bought it off sent me the wrong games too, Rogue Leader and Monkey Ball (I assume I wanted Luigi's Mansion and something else, which I picked up not long after) but god those games were so good.

Oh totally! This is me! 

Those are so of my fondest days of game (even though I think things are as good as they've ever been right now), where I had a modded PS2 and a region switchable Gamecube with a Saurian cable as my two main machines. I bought so much stuff from VG+, Tronix and Play-Asia and played just so many videogames. I just wish I still had that full library of games - as even though I still have the original machines - I only have about a 1/4 of the library of games I played on those systems. I never had a big sell off, I simply had to trade games I'd played to get new games as I didn't have much cash then. 

I also had a Xbox then, but it was more of a Halo 2 online machine that anything else! 

I started with the US only machine then picked up a switched version and sold my mate the original (after a couple of years I expect). At some point I seem to vaguely remember having 3 cubes, a PAL, Switched and then something else, possibly a chipped one. Had a pile of separate memory cards and everything :lol:.

I think I must have got the switched cube to play F-Zero GX (even thought it came out in the US not long after) and then picked up a few Japanese releases over the years (Wario, Viewtiful Joe, Mr Driller, Donkey Konga 1-3 and a few others). 

I really should get round to buying a GC Loader and one of the HDMI solutions.

1 hour ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Bought a PAL GameCube at launch, from Woolworths, bundled with Luigi’s Mansion and Rogue Leader. I remember being rather annoyed that it only outputted composite.

The PAL GameCube supported RGB scart with an (at the time) easily available official cable, no expensive Saurian hack-job required. I bought the scart cable on day 1, and barring a handful of launch titles (Luigi, Pikmin) and some lazy multi-platform ports, everything supported 60Hz too. I don't think it supported 480p over component though, but neither did any television I could afford at the time.

7 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

The PAL GameCube supported RGB scart with an (at the time) easily available official cable, no expensive Saurian hack-job required. I bought the scart cable on day 1, and barring a handful of launch titles (Luigi, Pikmin) and some lazy multi-platform ports, everything supported 60Hz too. I don't think it supported 480p over component though, but neither did any television I could afford at the time.

Ah, probably misremembering things, perhaps conflating the issue with the shortage of Wii component leads at that system’s launch.

I used my Super NES’s Scart lead and my N64’s S-Video lead with my GameCube, and was rather annoyed that neither worked. Did get the official proprietary Scart lead for the GC eventually – think it was £30 or something ridiculous. Still own it, and use it to connect my Super Famicom to my Framemeister. :) 

I remember spending stupid money for a japanese day one release. I'm sure i ended up paying about 500 quid for a GC, extra controller, Luigi Mansion, Wave Race and Monkey Ball.

Then finding out my TV was incompatible and i could only play games in black and white, till i spent another 6-100 quid on a NTSC PAL converter. Few months later and i got another tv that worked.

Thankfully, the JAPAN-USA switch mod came out, and i could buy NTSCU games otherwise it would have been a massive waste of money. I mean why the heck did i spent that much on a system that I couldn't understand half the games? :lol:

Yeah, I bought a USA GC on its American release that had the switch ready fitted. Got it from Goblin games with Rogue Leader, Wave Race BS, and Luigi's Mansion. Was stunned by how good RL looked.

Was playing PN03 and F-Zero via Dolphin PC last night, 4K 60 without a hitch, that includes no stutter on the desert track in F-Zero too, looks insane. Tried it on my S20 Ultra phone with a Razer Kishi and besides a tiny bit of stutter at the beginning of the first track it's a solid 60. Never tried the desert track with the sandstorm though.

Incredible games and machine that deserve such an incredible emulator.

I remember playing monkey ball on a Japanese console the week it came out in a sort of game shop in Notting Hill. I can’t believe that was 20 years ago. I soon got a us machine and amassed quite a collection. I sold most of it and that along with selling other earlier Nintendo consoles are my biggest gaming regrets. 

it felt so new, so fun and cutting edge while not being that really at all. I still have a few games and a us wii to play them in and I still have two mint original controllers so that’s something at least! 

I wish they had been, then I wouldn't have sold my official Nintendo GC component cable for relatively peanuts when I got my Wii, bought a cheap component lead for that so I could play on my Panansonic plasma.

Still hurts when I see how much they go for now. We can all say that with our selling old systems and games though.

18 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

It's correct that the PAL Gamecube does not support Pro Scan (it might be hackable though) but a lot more games only supported 50Hz than you think. Quite alot! 

12 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

It's correct that the PAL Gamecube does not support Pro Scan (it might be hackable though) but a lot more games only supported 50Hz than you think. Quite alot! 

The pal GameCube does support prog scan but only when booting ntsc software. If you have a way to load swiss you can force 480p via the digital output. 

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

All Nintendo first party stuff after Pikmin had 60Hz, all Capcom stuff had 60hz and I think all Sega stuff did too.

I know a lot of multi-platform ports didn’t, but they tended to have bullshit controls on the Cube anyway due to that same laziness. Beyond Good & Evil was the only one I was sad to miss out on.

What other 50hz only console exclusives were there? I can only think of Lost Kingdoms, which I briefly owned.

On 14/09/2021 at 15:39, Darhkwing said:

I mean why the heck did i spent that much on a system that I couldn't understand half the games? :lol:

lol.  I actually started learning some japanese in some mad plan to be able to understand the text.  Got the console modded with a JP/US switch and never looked back.  All my GC games are canadian.   :)

On 15/09/2021 at 18:07, ianinthefuture said:

Retro Fighters doing a wireless GC controller, you say? WELL NOW https://castlemaniagames.com/products/retro-fighters-bladegc-2-4-ghz-wireless-edition-orange

(Retro Fighters pads are very good)

The DC one they did is pretty good, my only complaint is the design and their logo. Not interested in the gamecube pad though due to the stick layout being wrong, which is bizarre as their switch gamecube controller before this one had the correct layout.

17 hours ago, Major Britten said:

The DC one they did is pretty good, my only complaint is the design and their logo. Not interested in the gamecube pad though due to the stick layout being wrong, which is bizarre as their switch gamecube controller before this one had the correct layout.

Retro Fighters

2 hours ago, ianinthefuture said:

Yeah they've had practically the same layout on every controller they've made - for fighting games, really, but I use them for everything. Not sure which you've got them mixed up with? Retro Bit?

https://castlemaniagames.com/products/retro-fighters-duelist-wireless-controller

nope, this is the pad they released for the switch with the correct stick layout

On 21/09/2021 at 16:32, Major Britten said:

Is there a wireless DC one? Surprisingly having trouble working that out.

18 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

Is there a wireless DC one? Surprisingly having trouble working that out.

Not from Retro Fighters. There's the (expensive, but it is small batch/home made sort of stuff) DreamConn. Probably the best option right now is Brook's Wingman SD, which lets you pair any Bluetooth controller with it.