GameCube Appreciation Thread

strider

6 hours ago, roobarb said:

Quick q.. can you put the port covers back on over these mods? (probably not over the SD2SP2 I guess)

Yeah, as long as you route the wires as I have the broadband port cover goes back on fine.

• 3 weeks later...

My small collection. Some games look sealed but they aren't (just those cheap DVD sleeve bag things). Several of these I have owned from brand-new on release(s) such as Pokemon XD, Tales of Symphonia, and Paper Mario and as such they are still crispy clean.

No Sunshine because I couldn't stand it. Nor Mario Kart because, while it WAS fun, I would always gravitate to MKDS or (in recent years, MK8).

There are some that I've owned and sold that I wouldn't mind getting again, and a couple of big 'uns that I've never owned at all but we'll see.

GCGames-1.jpg

GCGames-2.jpg

53 minutes ago, SMD said:

good collection but where's resi 4, viewtiful joe and pikmin 2?

Resi 4 - did actually buy it at launch and complete it 9 times + hammer Mercs. Got rid of it when the Wii edition came out (don't try to keep multiple versions of the same game and the Wii port is much better imo). Also had a second GC copy at one point with the "Evil Edition" outer slipcase but sold that too.

Viewtiful Joe - did have that one too but sold it during previous collection purge. Definitely one to re-buy.

Pikmin 2 - no excuse on that. I just balk at the price (and missed the first one tbf so have never actually played the series...)

I don't have the first Pikmin either, kept meaning to get it but I dunno, the sequel was enough for me. Still hope we get 1+2 ported to Switch, would love it handheld.

I'd kill for a modern port of VJ too but for different reasons. I feel like it was out of time and would kill now, especially with how flashy the combos can get. Then maybe we can finally get VJ3. 

On the subject of VJ, has anybody played the Smash Bros.-esque fighting game? I recall it getting panned at the time by NOM (with a 50%ish score) for having too much going on with too many slow-mo and speed power-ups kicking in, amongst other complaints.

Never hear it talked about is all.

6 minutes ago, megamixer said:

On the subject of VJ, has anybody played the Smash Bros.-esque fighting game? I recall it getting panned at the time by NOM (with a 50%ish score) for having too much going on with too many slow-mo and speed power-ups kicking in, amongst other complaints.

Never hear it talked about is all.

I have it, it's shit. That's my full review.

1 hour ago, SMD said:

love the two copies of resident evil 4, shame they're both the worst cover art

One is NTSC and one is PAL.

75% of my collection is NTSC - back in the days when buying games from the US was cheaper and you got the games upto 6 months early.

2 minutes ago, DarhkFox said:

One is NTSC and one is PAL.

75% of my collection is NTSC - back in the days when buying games from the US was cheaper and you got the games upto 6 months early.

you've got two NTSC RE4 spines though, definitely don't blame anyone for buying those versions otherwise. I've got a few American GC games as well tbf.

4 hours ago, SMD said:

you've got two NTSC RE4 spines though, definitely don't blame anyone for buying those versions otherwise. I've got a few American GC games as well tbf.

Ah yes... hmm I must have somehow got another ntsc copy somehoe then.

On 25/08/2022 at 15:35, DarhkFox said:

20220825_143543.thumb.jpg.0f3b78d504ac8de1ee9f8d452a593fcc.jpg

Annoyingly prime 2 is no where to be seen. Wonder what happened to it. 

Some good NTSC games there. You do seem to be lacking Super Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion? I like how you snuck in a PS2 game (albeit a good one in Burnout 2).

5 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

Some good NTSC games there. You do seem to be lacking Super Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion? I like how you snuck in a PS2 game (albeit a good one in Burnout 2).

Hmmm I have them - I've noticed a few others missing. I'm concerned some of my games were pinched when I had a house party once.

I'm hoping they are just in another box somewhere.  The games are in storage at the moment so I'll have to have a look sometime. 

Ah yeah not quite sure how I snuck in Burnout 2 lol 

1 hour ago, squirtle said:

If anyone might be interested, I'm going to be selling my GameCube collection soon. It'll be a bundle, but thought you guys might be interested first.

What kind of collection do you have? Just games or hardware too?

I only have four games from my original collection.

Viewtiful Joe (NTSC-J)

F-Zero GX (NTSC-J)

Chibi-Robo (NTSC-U)

Resident Evil 4 (NTSC-U)

Although I'm currently yaaarrr'ing everything from a USB drive with USB Loader GX through the Wii. Thankfully the Wii has pretty phenomenal RGB output.

My son (5) commented on how nice the feel of the controller was earlier this evening. This is the first time he's ever commented on the ergonomics of anything before. I still have my original Wavebird right here, which miraculously still feels new. I'm deciding against using it while sitting so close to everything anyway.

21 minutes ago, SMD said:

What kind of collection do you have? Just games or hardware too?

13 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

PAL or NTSC?

It's all PAL. Hardware and games. I'll list it all out later.