GameCube Appreciation Thread

strider

Was in my parent’s place today and wanted to grab MGS3 from my stuff in the attic. I stupidly sold some games that are quite valuable now and seeing this box makes me sad and happy. 

94D0166F-6C5F-426A-B5CD-F51A6B39FDF0.jpeg.4b2932a29be8bf4661a2ba9bc7b529c3.jpeg

And here’s some of what I have at home. Can’t remember where I put some of my Japanese GC titles. I’ve got a few GCs. My JPN black model is boxed away, I have a purple one with a GC Loader and GB Player and an orange one with a Pico Loader. 

D89E5407-D288-4E19-A154-825AC87B1CAC.jpeg.5f7da30ec4f6bdee0df4304c30bebe14.jpeg

6E4A93A3-1B90-4010-A729-724AD9DB6F43.jpeg.32bba6e3cbd3b3e43f039c7979e772fe.jpeg

I need to sort things by system a bit better! 😂

• 2 weeks later...

There's a few (very expensive) 1st Party Gamecube games that I rarely ever see mentioned. Just thought it would be interesting to hear if anybody has actually played these or own them:

Mario Superstar Baseball - reviewed terrible in NOM at the time (somewhere between 50-60%) and I never see a copy about. I DID own it at one point but that was back when I bought more than I could ever play so I eventually sold it without ever spinning the disc. Must admit that I AM curious though. Also, I believed it was developed by Namco? £100+ on ebay for PAL...

Odama - Mental pinball and RTS combo controlled by the official mic peripheral, which only this game and Mario Party 6 + 7 utlised. This one I DID own and play briefly but I never got on with it, even though the concept alone was crazy enough to admire. Part of the problem was barking commands into the mic (it clipped onto the back of the pad iirc) and looking like a right tool, especially when the voice recognition wasn't always spot-on. Again, well in excess of £100 for a PAL copy in the big box with all the bits...

Dancing Stage Mario Mix - Now this one I NEVER see mentioned. A dance mat game (the only one on the 'cube?) mashing together Mario and Konami's Dancing Stage series. I don't remember even seeing it for sale in the shops at the time, and PAL copy complete with mat in the big box isn't common and it ain't cheap either...

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally bit the bullet and bought all the stuff I need to mod a GC with Picoboot, everything should be here by tomorrow - including my first ever soldering iron. Not terrified at all, no way, uh uh.

After last week's incredible run of good luck (getting two GCs to add to the one I already have) my plan is to keep my original Cube as it is. The other two will get cleaned up, then one (purple) will serve as the practice machine for modding while the other (black) will be the 'good' one I'll work with once I know things function and I'm not fucking things up too badly. 

Honestly, I'm kind of excited about this, never done a physical mod before. And on my favourite system, no less!

On 10/09/2022 at 10:59, megamixer said:

There's a few (very expensive) 1st Party Gamecube games that I rarely ever see mentioned. Just thought it would be interesting to hear if anybody has actually played these or own them:

Mario Superstar Baseball - reviewed terrible in NOM at the time (somewhere between 50-60%) and I never see a copy about. I DID own it at one point but that was back when I bought more than I could ever play so I eventually sold it without ever spinning the disc. Must admit that I AM curious though. Also, I believed it was developed by Namco? £100+ on ebay for PAL...

Odama - Mental pinball and RTS combo controlled by the official mic peripheral, which only this game and Mario Party 6 + 7 utlised. This one I DID own and play briefly but I never got on with it, even though the concept alone was crazy enough to admire. Part of the problem was barking commands into the mic (it clipped onto the back of the pad iirc) and looking like a right tool, especially when the voice recognition wasn't always spot-on. Again, well in excess of £100 for a PAL copy in the big box with all the bits...

Dancing Stage Mario Mix - Now this one I NEVER see mentioned. A dance mat game (the only one on the 'cube?) mashing together Mario and Konami's Dancing Stage series. I don't remember even seeing it for sale in the shops at the time, and PAL copy complete with mat in the big box isn't common and it ain't cheap either...

I've got Odama, didn't realise it had gotten so expensive either! I played it a bit when I got it (10 or so years ago, not when it was new) and it seemed like a bit of fun, but was pretty unresponsive and got difficult after a few stages. Played it a couple of times then just never went back to it. I think I'll set a Gamecube up when I get my games room sorted in a couple of months, might try it again then. My poor Gamecube just never got the love it should have. I bet my original one has less than 100 hours play on it and I got it new a couple of years after launch. Championship Manager on PC used to keep me off consoles, but when I did play on consoles it was on PES back then.

On 20/09/2022 at 11:25, michael said:

I've finally bit the bullet and bought all the stuff I need to mod a GC with Picoboot, everything should be here by tomorrow - including my first ever soldering iron. Not terrified at all, no way, uh uh.

After last week's incredible run of good luck (getting two GCs to add to the one I already have) my plan is to keep my original Cube as it is. The other two will get cleaned up, then one (purple) will serve as the practice machine for modding while the other (black) will be the 'good' one I'll work with once I know things function and I'm not fucking things up too badly. 

Honestly, I'm kind of excited about this, never done a physical mod before. And on my favourite system, no less!

Saaaay whaaaaaat, purple has to be the one you use!

Anyhoo, madness aside…. Im finally in a position to actually play on my Gamecube again but can’t find a HDMI adapter in stock anywhere, any ideas?

11 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Saaaay whaaaaaat, purple has to be the one you use!

Anyhoo, madness aside…. Im finally in a position to actually play on my Gamecube again but can’t find a HDMI adapter in stock anywhere, any ideas?

How much do you want to spend and how long are you willing to wait?

I got one of these a while back from Aliexpress and it's perfect.

Or the cheaper option, which I've never used.

Be around two weeks minimum wait to get them, or thereabouts.

20 minutes ago, ianinthefuture said:

How much do you want to spend and how long are you willing to wait?

I got one of these a while back from Aliexpress and it's perfect.

Or the cheaper option, which I've never used.

Be around two weeks minimum wait to get them, or thereabouts.

Thanks, thats a decent price and not too fussed about the wait - is it similar to the Retro-Bit Prism HDMI Adapter do you know?

4 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Thanks, thats a decent price and not too fussed about the wait - is it similar to the Retro-Bit Prism HDMI Adapter do you know?

I don't know, no. A quick look says yes, though.

I do know that most of these HDMI adapters are pretty much the exact same hardware inside. All based off the GCVideo open source project. All use the same instructions to make their hardware, and all use the same firmware - the only difference between things is the build quality/price. The Bitfunx one I linked is well made, can't speak for the other brands as I've never seen them in the flesh/plastic/metal.

• 1 month later...

I bought the Kaico hdmi adaptor from their website for about £50 and it’s amazing. Really happy with the image quality and the aluminium case is a nice premium touch.

I’ve had a real GameCube renaissance. Currently playing through windwaker with my 3 year old boy who is besotted with it (he loves pirates). For some reason, he had decided that link is named Barry. 
the game has really held up in my opinion and the graphics are wonderful. This version of Barry/link is so expressive and the ambient way in which you sometimes spin the camera and see him pulling a face is such a brilliantly conceived aspect of the game. No other Zelda comes close to having the personality of windwaker. 

I absolutely loved the first playthrough of Wind Waker, just sailing the ocean with the blank map and feeling like a real adventurer, discovering new islands and stuff. Been years since I played mine so it would probably feel like a brand-new experience for me if I dig it out.

Is a hacked Wii U the best option for playing GC games if I don’t currently own any GC discs? It's cheaper to pick up a Wii U than a Picoboot GC and Carby HDMI, with the added bonus of being able to play Wii U games. 

If I go the Wii U route, is there likely to be input lag using Nintendont to play GC games compared to using original GC hardware?

57 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Is a hacked Wii U the best option for playing GC games if I don’t currently own any GC discs? It's cheaper to pick up a Wii U than a Picoboot GC and Carby HDMI, with the added bonus of being able to play Wii U games. 

If I go the Wii U route, is there likely to be input lag using Nintendont to play GC games compared to using original GC hardware?

Ask yourself the following:

is the Wii U a cube and does it have a handle? 

Your answer should definitely help you decide 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone considering getting one of these MemCard Pros from 8-BitMods? I've got a pile of regular GC memory cards, but don't use any of them because of Swiss' memory card feature, but lately, I'd had the need to move cards between a couple of GCs and this new device seems like the kind of tat I like to buy. 

Speaking of which, I should also get a BlueRetro controller thingy too!

10 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Anyone considering getting one of these MemCard Pros from 8-BitMods? I've got a pile of regular GC memory cards, but don't use any of them because of Swiss' memory card feature, but lately, I'd had the need to move cards between a couple of GCs and this new device seems like the kind of tat I like to buy. 

Speaking of which, I should also get a BlueRetro controller thingy too!

I've ordered one because I'm that sort of idiot. Not sure how necessary it is with Swiss having built in memory features. I just want it though.

I have one of their PS1 memory cards and it's genuinely brilliant; one of the best things I have for any gaming machine. Just Works, and all that.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a peculiar annoyance maybe but i'm irritated now at ignoring so many games from the early 00s, i think magazine ratings got into my head and i was a snob. You play the best and just good stuff doesn't excite. Loved Lord of the Rings at the cinema, ignored the games, loved Goldeneye, ignored the lesser Bond games on the Cube. I doubt any of these are life changing, but i'm keen to play them now on emulation. Even stuff like Need For Speed. Did mean everything i did play was basically new. MSR came before Need For Speed, Headhunter, MGS2 came before the Bond games. Been looking for other stuff. I will go through this thread, but..anyone feeling desperate to recommend something...do pls

1 hour ago, Ninja Doctor said:

XG3. 

was slated as a poor fzero rip off with bikes but I spent quite a fair bit of time on it. Can be found very cheaply. 

Actually that is a good example of a game i weirdly ignored that i got a rom of, played a bit of it and tried to get some good crt faint scan line filters on retroarch while i could use it as i have issues getting my controller recognised now. I just use Dolphin 5.0 now. I'm happy to play emulators, i don't have any setup like others do with loads of consoles. Was a big fan of Extreme G and also recently played Extreme G 2 which was genuinely fantastic, got really into it. Also there is XGRA which isn't as good it seems. 

8 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

It's a peculiar annoyance maybe but i'm irritated now at ignoring so many games from the early 00s, i think magazine ratings got into my head and i was a snob. You play the best and just good stuff doesn't excite. Loved Lord of the Rings at the cinema, ignored the games, loved Goldeneye, ignored the lesser Bond games on the Cube. I doubt any of these are life changing, but i'm keen to play them now on emulation. Even stuff like Need For Speed. Did mean everything i did play was basically new. MSR came before Need For Speed, Headhunter, MGS2 came before the Bond games. Been looking for other stuff. I will go through this thread, but..anyone feeling desperate to recommend something...do pls

I think was the period where a 70% or 7/10 review really started to feel like a "bad" game to some people. That's what I remember anyway. There were so many massive games in the 00s such as the GTAs, Halo etc. that many decent non-AAA titles went under the radar.

Need for Speed Underground 2 was one for me that I didn't bother with in period as it was "that chavvy racing game" that I turned my nose up at while playing stuff on the Cube like Fire Emblem and Paper Mario. Fast-forward to the current day and I am a big car guy. I played NFSU2 and absolutely loved it. NOW I'm bemoaning the loss of the street-racing/modding genre in a age that is obsessed with being sensible and not promoting such stuff. Yeah, NFSU2 has a lot of niggles (and is clearly of its time), but it has a really nice arcade-y feel and messing about with cosmetic mods and performance upgrades was fun.

There were a few good multiplatform superhero games too that can easily be dismissed as movie tie-in guff. Spiderman 2 is visually dated today but, MAN, was that an amazing game at the time, with the full freedom of swinging through NY, jumping from the top of the Empire State Building, and the realistic swinging (you have to have buildings/trees/helicopters to attach a webline too - not thin air as in other Spiderman games...).

Ultimate Spiderman is another good one, that is kinda like Spiderman 2 but cel-shaded and based on the "Ultimate" line of Spiderman comics. You also get to play as Venom, running around destroying stuff and absorbing people to drain their energy. This one looked stylish as anything but didn't get as much love.

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction is another to look at superhero-wise. Very fun smash 'em up.