GameCube Appreciation Thread

strider

Here's my collection as it currently stands. The black circles are recent purchases. And I have a couple more on the way including Phantasy Star 3 and Chibi-Robo. Very happy with how it's shaping up. I have the full boxes of Odama and Four Swords too :)

Oh and big thanks to EarlyModernSteve for sorting me out with Odama, Billy Hatcher and Pool Paradise!

xbb8zm.jpg

2mgtmyp.jpg

9igrur.jpg

I've got two loose cubes that's are surplus to requirements. One U.S. one PAL , both have leads and psus (US one would need a stepdown) but have no pads. Probably not worth much but open to trades

You can use a UK psu with your U.S. Game cube, all the PSUs output the same voltage.

Yeah, Sphinx is great. I remember giving that a seven for GamesTM. I have it on Xbox, but now I think about it it feels more like a GameCube game if that makes sense.

It felt like an evolution of the N64 platformer with all of the collectables removed but with a nice game world to work through, great puzzles and one of the better soundtracks of the era. I haven't played it for a while but didn't it have a weird thing where the characters mouths moved when dialogue boxes were on screen but the game itself had no VoiceOver?

I've got two loose cubes that's are surplus to requirements. One U.S. one PAL , both have leads and psus (US one would need a stepdown) but have no pads. Probably not worth much but open to trades

UK one appeals. All I have for trade is a few MS carts, some with manuals.

• 5 months later...

Much preferred the Wii version of Metroid Prime, for controller reasons. I've not tried it on the Wii U's HDMI output yet though.

I don't have photos, but I do have a database. So here's my Gamecube collection ...

1080° Avalanche Gamecube UK

Ace Golf Gamecube UK

Aggressive Inline Gamecube UK

Animal Crossing Gamecube UK

Animal Crossing Gamecube USA

Atsumare!! Made in Wario Gamecube Japan

Battalion Wars Gamecube UK

Beach Spikers Gamecube UK

Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg Gamecube UK

Bomberman Jetters Gamecube USA

Burnout 2: Point of Impact Gamecube UK

Cel Damage Gamecube UK

Conflict Desert Storm Gamecube UK

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat Gamecube UK

Donkey Konga Gamecube UK

Donkey Konga 2 Gamecube UK

Doshin the Giant Gamecube UK

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem Gamecube UK

FIFA Football 2003 Gamecube UK

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles Gamecube UK

Future Tactics: the Uprising Gamecube USA

F-Zero GX Gamecube UK

Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup Gamecube UK

Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life Gamecube UK

Ikaruga Gamecube UK

I-Ninja Gamecube USA

Killer7 Gamecube UK

Kururin Squash! Gamecube Japan

Luigi's Mansion Gamecube Japan

Luigi's Mansion Gamecube UK

Mario Kart: Double Dash!! Gamecube UK

Medal of Honor: Rising Sun Gamecube UK

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes Gamecube UK

Metroid Prime Gamecube UK

Midway Arcade Treasures Gamecube USA

Mr Driller Drill Land Gamecube Japan

NHL 2003 Gamecube UK

Odama Gamecube UK

P.N.03 Gamecube UK

Paper Mario: the Thousand-Year Door Gamecube UK

Peter Jackson's King Kong GameCube UK

Pikmin Gamecube UK

Pikmin 2 Gamecube UK

Pokémon Colosseum Gamecube UK

Pool Paradise Gamecube UK

Preview Disc Gamecube USA

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time Gamecube UK

Puyo Pop Fever Gamecube UK

R:Racing Gamecube UK

Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc Gamecube UK

RedCard Gamecube UK

Resident Evil Gamecube UK

Ribbit King Gamecube USA

Rocky Gamecube UK

Sonic Gems Collection Gamecube UK

Sonic Heroes Gamecube UK

Sonic Mega Collection Gamecube UK

Soul Calibur II Gamecube UK

Spartan: Total Warrior Gamecube UK

Star Fox Assault Gamecube UK

Star Wars: Rogue Leader Gamecube UK

Starfox Adventures Gamecube UK

Super Monkey Ball Gamecube UK

Super Monkey Ball 2 Gamecube UK

Super Smash Bros Melee Gamecube UK

The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition Gamecube UK

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures Gamecube UK

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker Gamecube UK

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Gamecube UK

Tomb Raider Legend Gamecube UK

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 Gamecube UK

Turok: Evolution Gamecube UK

Viewtiful Joe Gamecube UK

WarioWare: Mega Party Game$! Gamecube UK

Wave Race: Blue Storm Gamecube UK

I recently played Luigi's Mansion for the first time - ignore the Just Cause post but see here: http://xexyz.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=luigi's+mansion&max-results=20&by-date=true

Love the GC. It seems like a lot of the games people were bitching about at the time for not being 'authentic' Nintendo (Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Wave Race, Luigi's Mansion) are looked upon a lot more favourably now.

Lastly I just want to give another shout out to Beach Spikers, because it's one of the most underrated multiplayer games ever.

My favourite one (which i used) was the white Mario Strikers PAL one that i transplanted a US purple one into. Had close to 400 Japanese games too but sold them all when moved house and got a fair amount back in return.

Mayhem on Bordersdown has a massive US collection, every game released from memory.

It's really funny looking at the current situation with the Wii U and comparing it to the end of the GameCube. You got games like Odama and Chibi Robo, published by Nintendo but developed by third parties and were reviewed as distinctly average at the time, sold in low numbers.

Now they're seen as collectable, the value has gone up by quite a bit.

Fast forward to the Wii U and you get people complaining Nintendo have lost it, reviews for Devil's Third and Amiibo Festival are distinctly average, sales are low....

Hmmm....

Chibi Robo still reviewed well and Nintendo were riding high on the tide of the DS so no one was concerned with the Gamecube not having much new.

Now however we have a failed home console and a handheld that has almost completely fizzled out. You can't exactly say that these games have been "average" in reviews either, Devils Third and Amiibo Festival both got a right spanking and rightly so.

Even in the case of Odama I think the game is in itself a more valuable game than Amiibo Festival, one was an experimental title with a clear artistic vision behind it, the other is a cynical cash grab designed to make people throw away £70-£80.

That said the Wii U is still getting the odd good game but when keeping up the gamecube comparison the wii U is worse off in almost every way. The Wii U has just turned 3 and we are getting Xenoblade, we got Mario Maker, Splatoon and Yoshi earlier in the year, not bad I guess but look at the Gamecube in mid-late 2004 when it had the 3rd anniversary of the American/Japanese releases, Paper Mario 2, Metroid Prime 2, Pikmin 2, Four Swords Adventures, Mario Power Tennis, America even got JRPG's like tales of Symphonia and Baten Kaitos. I think if one thing has really hurt the wii u in my eyes it is how the gamecube has shown it up despite being considered a huge failure in itself.

I can never stress it enough, most of the Wii U's key games came a year late. Could you imagine where the system would be now if something like Super Mario maker had been a launch title or at least had come in the first 18 months? Xenoblade X is coming out after people have already been spoiled by The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 for their Sandbox RPG games this year. It's a pretty sorry state.