GameCube Appreciation Thread

strider

Chibi Robo still reviewed well and Nintendo were riding high on the tide of the DS so no one was concerned with the Gamecube not having much new.

Now however we have a failed home console and a handheld that has almost completely fizzled out. You can't exactly say that these games have been "average" in reviews either, Devils Third and Amiibo Festival both got a right spanking and rightly so.

Even in the case of Odama I think the game is in itself a more valuable game than Amiibo Festival, one was an experimental title with a clear artistic vision behind it, the other is a cynical cash grab designed to make people throw away £70-£80.

That said the Wii U is still getting the odd good game but when keeping up the gamecube comparison the wii U is worse off in almost every way. The Wii U has just turned 3 and we are getting Xenoblade, we got Mario Maker, Splatoon and Yoshi earlier in the year, not bad I guess but look at the Gamecube in mid-late 2004 when it had the 3rd anniversary of the American/Japanese releases, Paper Mario 2, Metroid Prime 2, Pikmin 2, Four Swords Adventures, Mario Power Tennis, America even got JRPG's like tales of Symphonia and Baten Kaitos. I think if one thing has really hurt the wii u in my eyes it is how the gamecube has shown it up despite being considered a huge failure in itself.

I can never stress it enough, most of the Wii U's key games came a year late. Could you imagine where the system would be now if something like Super Mario maker had been a launch title or at least had come in the first 18 months? Xenoblade X is coming out after people have already been spoiled by The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 for their Sandbox RPG games this year. It's a pretty sorry state.

I'm talking about the last year before the Wii was released - 2005/2006. When you had Starfox Assault, Battalion Wars, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Killer 7, Mario Baseball, Dance Dance with Mario (or whatever it was called), Chibi Robo, Odama. People were pissed off at the time. Where's the proper Mario?!?!? Why are all these games being developed by third parties???

Basically a lot of filler while the Wii was being developed... And it feels like exactly the same now with the Wii U.

Anyway, I loved most of those games.. They were mostly under appreciated at the time, but still hold up really well.

I remember getting mine on launch day and it was broken, wouldn't boot any games. The guy at the counter in Game refused to swap it or give me my money back, said I'd have to go to Nintendo to get it sorted under warranty. Was proper pissed off at the time as I was itching to play Rogue Squadron but after moaning to the manager they swapped it.

I almost purchased one when they were first released. If I recall correctly Play Asia were selling them for around $70. Which was about £40 back then.

I decided against it, mainly because it ruins the look of the Q and the normal Game Boy Player was cheaper and came with an English language boot disk.

So tempted by that HDMI cable but over £160 is insane. I do feel the urge to fire up the Cube and some classics though. Maybe next year for the cable.

You're better off getting an xRGB Framemeister external scaler, so you can run anything and everything that has an analogue video output upscaled to 720p or 1080p.

It's apparently excellent with both 240p and 480i sources.

Also yes, with the Gamecube, I have both a US version (with a US/JAP switch) and a PAL version, PAL I just run with an official RGB cable and the US one with Component... I've heard the Offical Component cables are mega expensive now? Prob better off just using a Wii in that case.

• 5 months later...

If anyone is looking for one of those I have one for sale, also a switched GC Bundle

On 14 December 2015 at 2:06 PM, Protocol Penguin said:

That most likely was one of those custom/hacked RGB leads for NTSC 'Cubes that use the digital video output.

Yeah gamecube was first proper console I bought. Except I was very silly and ordered a Japanese one. Cost 500 quid including monkey ball wave race and luigi mansion and an extra pad.

It then turned up and I could only play it in b&w!  100 quid later and I have a colour picture with a ntsc - pal converter. Oh and I needed a step down which cost 30 quid.

Was it worth it?  Not really.  All the Japanese text kinda made luigi mansion tricky to play but the other two were ok. Monkey ball was pretty good.

However thankfully a month later the ntsc-u / ntsc-j mod came out.  Rogue leader and Smash Bros came out same time and I was well chuffed.

I ended up making some money doing the mod for a bunch of folk with this forum and the forum before ( edge) so wasn't so bad.

Still got it plus 50 plus ntsc games..

On 02/12/2015 at 9:28 AM, klargon said:
On 02/12/2015 at 9:17 AM, Arctic Feather said:

Is it true that NTSC gamecubes don't output RGB? (unless you mod an incredibly expensive componet cable...) But the PAL ones do?

Yep. This is why I'm selling my NTSC Cube.

Wait really? I'm using an official component cable for my cube (I got when they were relatively cheap) and the framemeister. Does this not give an RGB picture?

On 19/05/2015 at 8:50 AM, Alexlotl said:

"Guards?!"

Nathan Wind realises he's alone in a padded room. Daubed on the wall in some unknown substance is a crude mural showing a strangely shaped device - a dental camera, perhaps? Staring at this image, he drops to his knees, his expression glazing over and his bottom lip beginning to tremble. Just then, an ankle-height hatch slides open on the door and a bowl of orange jelly is pushed through, on a plastic tray, with a plastic spoon. Always plastic. Suddenly, Nathan snaps back to attention.

"Very well, naysayer. I will dispense justice after I have had my jelly."

:lol: Fucking hell.

I've just been reading back through this thread over lunch.  I almost hacked up a lung, laughing.

2 hours ago, Camel said:

Game Boy Player was so disappointing due to jerky scrolling caused by (IIRC) the GBA not actually running at 60hz.

I think there was a bunch of weird issues with it (aside from the native 59.7hz). I haven't dabbled in any Game Cube homebrew but I understand that there's a method (using Swiss) for launching the GBA player in true 240p whilst also cutting down instances of frame doubling and lag.

On 16/06/2016 at 10:51 AM, Tomdominer said:

Wait really? I'm using an official component cable for my cube (I got when they were relatively cheap) and the framemeister. Does this not give an RGB picture?

You're lucky that you have the Official Component Cable (I also have one, just to show off).

Component video with the Gamecube is great - and close to RGB, with the added benefit of 480p on most US games - but yeah, needs the super rare cable that now goes for over £200 on eBay, mainly due to the Digital to Analog converter chip inside the cable connector that's not been possible to reproduce. 

If you don't have the cable you're stuck with shitty composite or S-video out of the US cube. 

The PAL 'cube does do RGB video and it is awesome, but not all games support 60Hz. Most do though.

Regarding the Framemeister, I use Component out my US cube but just leave it in 480i. The Framemeister is kinda better at de-interlacing that than using 480p. 

..and here's some reference stuff - 

Out of interest, how does the Wii fare as a Gamecube game player, accuracy and video output-wise? (the video above might actually cover that, but the length combined with the presenter's pronunciation of, well, everything meant I had to switch off lest my ears melt)

Slight variation as the quality is slightly less good but the Wii component output is still considered excellent. The cost of the upgrade to the GC component leads in not worth it really. I have had both and apart from feeling smug at the thought of using such an expensive cable for the GC, the Wii is fine to play games. 

Thanks, that's good to know - I have a Wii with component, and it's generally my go to Gamecube player due to the small footprint, but I love the design of the Gamecube and always have half a mind to swap it out for a dedicated Gamecube instead. If the video output on my Wii is going to be as good as it gets without forking out the cost of a decent graphics card, I guess I'll be staying with the Wii for now; no cute purple cube beneath the telly just yet :(