IGNORED

Game Boy & GB Advance Appreciation Thread

Nathan Wind

Pirate carts generally have a battery inside to save, and most of them will have ran out by now and will need changing, so I'd definitely avoid them.

It is difficult to tell from a photo, but in my experience pirate carts are a darker shade of grey than originals. I'm usually pretty good at spotting them, so if there's one you fancy post a link to it here.

The best way of guaranteeing a legit cart is to look for boxed games with a purple border surrounding the GBA logo on the front. Also, if a cart has 'EUR' in the code on the front it's more likely to be genuine.

I bought almost exclusively cart only stuff for years (can't stand cardboard boxes) and never got a single boot, by virtue of following the rules I put in that link.

There's plenty of good legit stuff out there in cart only form. Provided you take precautions, there's no need to be afraid.

On 9/30/2016 at 15:34, beenabadbunny said:

I made this. Have I missed anything? (edit: fixed an error)

gba.PNG

In addition, it may be worth mentioning that you can play GB games on a GBM/DS/DSi with a flash card, and on a 3DS/2DS/n3DS via the Virtual Console. Not actual carts, though.

Also, you can play GB games on a Super Game Boy for the SNES, and GB/GBC/GBA games on a Game Boy Player for the Gamecube.

• 2 weeks later...

This just popped up on my Youtube:

I was lucky enough to pick up one of those quality GBAs with the decent screen that a chap was doing a couple of years ago. In combination with my Everdrive it really is the best way to play GBA games. 

This chap makes the conversion look easy, even if he is honest and includes the fail. I know if I tried this it would be a mess. But some here may have the electronics chops to pull it off. It would mean taking apart a GBA SP1000 though, not a thing to be doing lightly. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Found my old Gameboy in the loft the other day, brought it down, stuck some batteries in it and... Nothing, not even the power light lights up. Anyone know of any common problems with really simple fixes I could try?

I had some issues with an SP where the power switch wouldn't necessarily engage when you moved it. I pressed on it while moving the switch which seemed to help get it to work eventually. I guess using it cleaned the contacts and it goes about nine times out of ten now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello all.  New to the forum here.  Just wanted to chime in and say I went ahead and ordered a Modded GBA (original model) with the backlit screen and am super happy with it.  I am actually thinking about getting another one from RetroModding.com with the speaker upgrade and variable brightness settings for the screen.  I bought my current one on eBay and could not be happier with the experience.  I much prefer putting two double a batteries in my GBA and just forgetting about it for over 20 hours of gameplay.  Well over 20 hours straight gameplay for sure.  I actually think this is the best gaming console of all time.  I like the Micro about as much, however the authentic faceplates are very scarce and rosecolored gaming doesn't sell new faceplates anymore :(.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, RetroPlays said:

Just wondering whats the best converter to play the GBA on the big screen, is it the gameboy player for the gamecube or the advance player for the snes (didn't know this one existed until the other day)

That MLiG video up there is basically the most extensive thing on the subject if you want the pros and cons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bought a green GB Micro last night from ebay - in lovely condition from the looks of things.  Also just ordered a GBA Everdrive.  I always use Retrogate in Cyprus.  They were over tenner cheaper than the UK stockists including delivery.  Excited!

Same here but it's the only genuinely pocket sized console (cue Mentazmamzmamz steaming in, something something Raspberry Pi).  Even my AGS101'sd original was too big really.  It'll keep me occupied a couple of times a week while the Mrs is off gallivanting on her horsey (not a euphamism).