Game Boy & GB Advance Appreciation Thread

19 hours ago, watusi said:

Any advise for getting scratches out of a Micro faceplate? Not deep ones but visible when its in use.

Some kind of acrylic polish? Never tried anything but seen it recommended a few times

I attempted a backlight and bivert mod on a DMG last night. Boy is it fiddly! I thought I was going to break everything removing the foil and polariser from the screen, and the bivert mod was a lot harder than I anticipated. Solder got everywhere! Right in between the pins. I’ve not soldered much before so learnt a lot, especially how important flux is! After the first attempt there was a lot of noise on the screen, so I went back and removed some solder and refilled a few bit, eventually got it working. Annoyingly the backlight didn’t seem to come with the required 100ohm resistor so I’ve got to wait for one of those.

To those who are more practised at soldering, where does the bivert mod lie on the scale of difficulty?

20F7735B-2916-4E9D-9EB6-6316CD2B4B14.jpeg

10 minutes ago, erhgiez said:

I attempted a backlight and bivert mod on a DMG last night. Boy is it fiddly! I thought I was going to break everything removing the foil and polariser from the screen, and the bivert mod was a lot harder than I anticipated. Solder got everywhere! Right in between the pins. I’ve not soldered much before so learnt a lot, especially how important flux is! After the first attempt there was a lot of noise on the screen, so I went back and removed some solder and refilled a few bit, eventually got it working. Annoyingly the backlight didn’t seem to come with the required 100ohm resistor so I’ve got to wait for one of those.

To those who are more practised at soldering, where does the bivert mod lie on the scale of difficulty?

20F7735B-2916-4E9D-9EB6-6316CD2B4B14.jpeg

Chipquik flux is your friend, your wallet will HATE it though :p

Not tried a Bivert mod before, I've got the wires / polariser thing sitting in adrawer, meant to do it a LONG time ago, but then never got round to it as it looked a bit tricky for my then level of skill.

Recent Gameboy tinkerings involved spending a good 6 hours yesterday trying to sort out a £14 eBay GBA.

It arrived with nothing on screen but powering up, missing several caps from the board.

Took some parts off one I have that has a front light mod, eventually got it displaying, and somehow, the donor console was still working!

Next, it wouldn't play ANY GB games and starting a GBA title would give garbled graphics, so back apart it came, out came the flux, the ARM7 CPU was heated to within an inch of it's life ( there was a crack from the board a few seconds after I thought " this is probably done" whoops ) but, stuck it back together and at last , it worked as intended, it's in a nice new Pink transparent shell now.

While inside the front lit one, I noticed a huge amount of rust around the "L" button, tested it, yep, not working.

Removed it, lost a trace contact, THE contact I needed to make a connection for the switch to function, urghhh, found where the trace should go, grabbed a micro switch from the drawer ( for an X1 pad ) and fitted it on to the board, attached a wire from the switch pin to where the trace goes, stuck a small piece of plastic lolly stick to the shoulder button so it would make contact, trimmed it several times / cut new pieces until it fitted and made a pleasureable "click" when pressing the button, tested it all out, worked nicely.... ony problem, one button has a nice micro switched click, the other, original button now feels spongey, so apart it comes again and the other one is replaced and tinkered with till it's spot on.

If it hadn't been for the broken one, I'd never have messed about with the other one, so glad tht 2 GBA's are back to full strength, and one of them punching above it's weight with proper clicky shoulder buttons, now to find a copy of SF Alpha 3 and play me some street fighter :p ]

I dug my old GBA out of storage and sent it away to get the funnyplaying 2.0 screen, clean juice battery and upgraded speaker installed. Paired it with an everdrive and it’s glorious. It could be a brand new console. Left it all in the original shell so it still matches the packaging.

The only thing I’d suggest waiting on for anyone else considering the same is for some improvements to the speaker upgrade as there’s a background hum that is noticeable until the volume is up.

The only benefit to the analogue pocket for me will be the ability to plug it into a telly. Means there’s no rush to pick one up at least!

Finished The Minish Cap on my lunchbreak there for the first time. Enjoyable but flawed. Some of the overworld puzzles were fairly obtuse, and the overworld itself was....fine? Good bosses, including the hardest final boss run in any Zelda I've played since the NES games. Clever but unchallenging dungeon design.

7/10 

7 hours ago, iloverage said:

Finished The Minish Cap on my lunchbreak there for the first time. Enjoyable but flawed. Some of the overworld puzzles were fairly obtuse, and the overworld itself was....fine? Good bosses, including the hardest final boss run in any Zelda I've played since the NES games. Clever but unchallenging dungeon design.

7/10 

I finished it for the first time yesterday! I can echo most of your thoughts. I did love the Kinstone quest, and completed it before I went for the final boss. Thought the overworld was lovely and colourful, and fun to explore, and overall it was just a really nice experience.

I got a lovely little deal on eBay the other day for £70. Two duffed up game boys one apparently dead and 11 games that weren’t shown with some vague hints about Tetris and Mario.

Lovely little set, was pleased to see Ducktakes 2, Donkey Kong and one I’ve  not seen before, Atomic Punk. 

The dead gameboy is fine, just dirty contacts in the battery compartment and both screens are good with no verticals or horizontals. Although it certainly wins the prize for most sun damaged. I’ll try and backlight/bivert/reshell at the weekend.

4D3A71A1-5D18-41F3-B196-95396A2DE61A.jpeg

Atomic Punk is actually part of the Bomberman series - it was called Bomber Boy in Japan.

I played the hell out of that WWF Wrestling game when I was a kid, one of the few carts we had.

That was probably hand made by someone’s mum in the 1990s. I remember a kids craft show with instructions on how to make a GB case out of a car floor mat.