Jump to content
IGNORED

Game Boy & GB Advance Appreciation Thread


Nathan Wind
 Share

Recommended Posts

GBAs with beautiful, bright screens never fail to make me smile.

 

And there’s just something I adore about seeing GBA games in action. The golden age of 2D sprites.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Yes the GBA has had the most use by far, the new screen and proper glass bezel make a huge difference.

 

Im using an ez flash omega cart with it which as been superb

 

I’ve got a couple more to do and I’ll keep one of each and sell the rest on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

These laminated FunnyPlaying IPS screen and shell kits from ApiExpress are the business. Did the white one for a friend of mine this afternoon. 

CCF0B29C-8573-4599-ACB3-2622D8F7ECCF.thumb.jpeg.3924133f5ccde2ae76e5506e43cd5970.jpeg

 

They really are. Not too difficult and they really look the business

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Phantoon said:

They really are. Not too difficult and they really look the business

Yeah I did mine with a kit. Looks so good (even if my screen is slight misaligned!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bplus said:

Yeah I did mine with a kit. Looks so good (even if my screen is slight misaligned!)

The funny thing is the imperfections stick out like a sore thumb, but only to the person who did it. Everybody else will be none the wiser

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Best publishers on GBA:

 

Nintendo - Golden Sun: The Lost Age, The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, Drill Dozer

 

Konami - Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars, Ninja Five-0

 

Capcom - Mega Man Zero 4, Super Puzzle Fighter II, Onimusha Tactics

 

Natsume - Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town, Car Battler Joe, CIMA: The Enemy

 

Sega - The Tower SP, ChuChu Rocket!, Gunstar Super Heroes

 

Atlus - Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation 2, Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2, Riviera: The Promised Land

 

Blizzard Classic Arcade - Rock 'N Roll Racing, The Lost Vikings, Blackthorne

 

Ubisoft - Lunar Legend, Rayman 3, Advance Guardian Heroes

 

THQ - Sonic Advance 3, Puyo Pop, Sabre Wulf

 

Namco - Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament, Rebelstar: Tactical Command, Mr. Driller 2

 

Square Enix - Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

 

Bam Entertainment - Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars

 

Majesco - Iridion II

 

Conspiracy Entertainment - Road Trip: Shifting Gears

 

EA Games - The Urbz: Sims in the City

 

Activision - Bomberman Tournament

 

Tecmo - Monster Rancher Advance 2

 

Orbital Media, Inc. - Racing Gears Advance

 

Hip Games - CT Special Forces 2: Back in the Trenches

 

SouthPeak Games - Scurge: Hive

 

Empire Interactive - Bubble Bobble: Old & New

 

SNK Playmore - Metal Slug Advance

 

Sierra Entertainment - The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night

 

Rockstar Games - Max Payne

 

Metro3D - Gem Smashers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Camel said:

Natsume does it again. I need to play that ^

 

Yeah, Natsume really got a solid grasp of the Game Boy and put out games it deserved early on. I'm surprised their stuff isn't brought up more often.

 

m1VNJLD.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are there any original GB games that are actually worth playing today? Not just because you loved it in 1991 or whatever.

 

Obviously Tetris, Mario’s Picross, Link’s Awakening, and the Super Mario Land games. But other than those, it’s a bit of blind spot for me. Still quite astonishing that Link’s Awakening is an original GB game with four colours: it’s truly one of the best games I’ve played. They did so much with so little.

 

Currently playing Trip World, which seems pretty cool so far. Also looks gorgeous on my RG351P:

 

40A9786E-8DAF-4ECE-AEE9-0004259825C2.thumb.jpeg.4af095b68e04ac36149fe85aecbdd317.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/07/2022 at 00:57, electricmastro said:

I think that Tail 'Gator might the best Game Boy platformer not published by Nintendo or Capcom. Plays well, looks good, and has some great music to boot.

 

spacer.png

 

On 03/07/2022 at 07:58, electricmastro said:

 

Yeah, Natsume really got a solid grasp of the Game Boy and put out games it deserved early on. I'm surprised their stuff isn't brought up more often.

 

m1VNJLD.jpg


Gah, missed this. I’ll check them out!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Paulando said:


Mole Mania looks fab, cheers! Never heard of it before.

It seems to have been released at an awkward time, well after the Game Boy's first wave, but before its revival due to improved hardware revisions and the Pokemon phenomena. Had it been released a few years earlier or later, it'd be more widely recognised as a minor classic, I think. It's a shame that Nintendo didn't quickly turn out a colourised version for the Game Boy Color....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Paulando said:

Are there any original GB games that are actually worth playing today? Not just because you loved it in 1991 or whatever.

 

Obviously Tetris, Mario’s Picross, Link’s Awakening, and the Super Mario Land games. But other than those, it’s a bit of blind spot for me. Still quite astonishing that Link’s Awakening is an original GB game with four colours: it’s truly one of the best games I’ve played. They did so much with so little.

 

Currently playing Trip World, which seems pretty cool so far. Also looks gorgeous on my RG351P:

 

40A9786E-8DAF-4ECE-AEE9-0004259825C2.thumb.jpeg.4af095b68e04ac36149fe85aecbdd317.jpeg

 

What settings are you using to get the authentic GB greens?  I've only just started tinkering with GB games on my 351P and V and have greys and white graphics at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Stejay said:

 

What settings are you using to get the authentic GB greens?  I've only just started tinkering with GB games on my 351P and V and have greys and white graphics at the moment.


Retroarch > Quick Menu > Options > GB Colorization > ‘Internal’

 

And the ‘GB Palette’ option below it should be set to ‘GB - DMG’

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Paulando said:


Retroarch > Quick Menu > Options > GB Colorization > ‘Internal’

 

And the ‘GB Palette’ option below it should be set to ‘GB - DMG’

 

 

 

I was just going to reply to say I'd tried GB - DMG, but the screen is very dark and hard to see properly.  The GB - Light option is clearer, but blue.

 

Also, what is the universal setting to change the frame for GB games?

 

I don't want surrounds like: 

 

IMG_7337.thumb.jpg.cf1ab9dff9cd48787bdb5a6d5378ccf3.jpg

 

I want all GB games to have the original GB look:

 

 

IMG_7338.thumb.jpg.cb79075c473faedcf01287bb28630158.jpg

 

Sorry for the noob questions!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the previous menu there’s an option for on-screen overlay, just turn that off :)

 

EDIT: Oh sorry, you do want a surround, just the GB one. Not figured that out yet!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Paulando said:

In the previous menu there’s an option for on-screen overlay, just turn that off :)

 

EDIT: Oh sorry, you do want a surround, just the GB one. Not figured that out yet!

 

Yeah.  I want to set it universally so that all GB games have that second overlay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stejay said:

I was just going to reply to say I'd tried GB - DMG, but the screen is very dark and hard to see properly.  The GB - Light option is clearer, but blue.


The overlay does add a filter to mine though which makes it darker. It kind of emulates the space between the pixels on the original hardware from what I can tell. I can’t figure out how to disable it when you have an overlay, but I definitely prefer it without the filter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.