IGNORED

Game Boy & GB Advance Appreciation Thread

Nathan Wind

GBAs with beautiful, bright screens never fail to make me smile.

And there’s just something I adore about seeing GBA games in action. The golden age of 2D sprites.

Yes the GBA has had the most use by far, the new screen and proper glass bezel make a huge difference.

Im using an ez flash omega cart with it which as been superb

I’ve got a couple more to do and I’ll keep one of each and sell the rest on.

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

These laminated FunnyPlaying IPS screen and shell kits from ApiExpress are the business. Did the white one for a friend of mine this afternoon. 

CCF0B29C-8573-4599-ACB3-2622D8F7ECCF.thumb.jpeg.3924133f5ccde2ae76e5506e43cd5970.jpeg

They really are. Not too difficult and they really look the business

20 hours ago, Phantoon said:

They really are. Not too difficult and they really look the business

Yeah I did mine with a kit. Looks so good (even if my screen is slight misaligned!)

2 hours ago, bplus said:

Yeah I did mine with a kit. Looks so good (even if my screen is slight misaligned!)

The funny thing is the imperfections stick out like a sore thumb, but only to the person who did it. Everybody else will be none the wiser

• 1 month later...

Best publishers on GBA:

Nintendo - Golden Sun: The Lost Age, The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, Drill Dozer

Konami - Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars, Ninja Five-0

Capcom - Mega Man Zero 4, Super Puzzle Fighter II, Onimusha Tactics

Natsume - Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town, Car Battler Joe, CIMA: The Enemy

Sega - The Tower SP, ChuChu Rocket!, Gunstar Super Heroes

Atlus - Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation 2, Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2, Riviera: The Promised Land

Blizzard Classic Arcade - Rock 'N Roll Racing, The Lost Vikings, Blackthorne

Ubisoft - Lunar Legend, Rayman 3, Advance Guardian Heroes

THQ - Sonic Advance 3, Puyo Pop, Sabre Wulf

Namco - Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament, Rebelstar: Tactical Command, Mr. Driller 2

Square Enix - Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Bam Entertainment - Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars

Majesco - Iridion II

Conspiracy Entertainment - Road Trip: Shifting Gears

EA Games - The Urbz: Sims in the City

Activision - Bomberman Tournament

Tecmo - Monster Rancher Advance 2

Orbital Media, Inc. - Racing Gears Advance

Hip Games - CT Special Forces 2: Back in the Trenches

SouthPeak Games - Scurge: Hive

Empire Interactive - Bubble Bobble: Old & New

SNK Playmore - Metal Slug Advance

Sierra Entertainment - The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night

Rockstar Games - Max Payne

Metro3D - Gem Smashers

8 minutes ago, Camel said:

Natsume does it again. I need to play that ^

Yeah, Natsume really got a solid grasp of the Game Boy and put out games it deserved early on. I'm surprised their stuff isn't brought up more often.

m1VNJLD.jpg

Are there any original GB games that are actually worth playing today? Not just because you loved it in 1991 or whatever.

Obviously Tetris, Mario’s Picross, Link’s Awakening, and the Super Mario Land games. But other than those, it’s a bit of blind spot for me. Still quite astonishing that Link’s Awakening is an original GB game with four colours: it’s truly one of the best games I’ve played. They did so much with so little.

Currently playing Trip World, which seems pretty cool so far. Also looks gorgeous on my RG351P:

40A9786E-8DAF-4ECE-AEE9-0004259825C2.thumb.jpeg.4af095b68e04ac36149fe85aecbdd317.jpeg

On 03/07/2022 at 00:57, electricmastro said:

I think that Tail 'Gator might the best Game Boy platformer not published by Nintendo or Capcom. Plays well, looks good, and has some great music to boot.

spacer.png

On 03/07/2022 at 07:58, electricmastro said:

Yeah, Natsume really got a solid grasp of the Game Boy and put out games it deserved early on. I'm surprised their stuff isn't brought up more often.

m1VNJLD.jpg

Gah, missed this. I’ll check them out!

5 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Mole Mania looks fab, cheers! Never heard of it before.

It seems to have been released at an awkward time, well after the Game Boy's first wave, but before its revival due to improved hardware revisions and the Pokemon phenomena. Had it been released a few years earlier or later, it'd be more widely recognised as a minor classic, I think. It's a shame that Nintendo didn't quickly turn out a colourised version for the Game Boy Color....

7 hours ago, Paulando said:

Are there any original GB games that are actually worth playing today? Not just because you loved it in 1991 or whatever.

Obviously Tetris, Mario’s Picross, Link’s Awakening, and the Super Mario Land games. But other than those, it’s a bit of blind spot for me. Still quite astonishing that Link’s Awakening is an original GB game with four colours: it’s truly one of the best games I’ve played. They did so much with so little.

Currently playing Trip World, which seems pretty cool so far. Also looks gorgeous on my RG351P:

40A9786E-8DAF-4ECE-AEE9-0004259825C2.thumb.jpeg.4af095b68e04ac36149fe85aecbdd317.jpeg

What settings are you using to get the authentic GB greens?  I've only just started tinkering with GB games on my 351P and V and have greys and white graphics at the moment.

1 minute ago, Stejay said:

What settings are you using to get the authentic GB greens?  I've only just started tinkering with GB games on my 351P and V and have greys and white graphics at the moment.

Retroarch > Quick Menu > Options > GB Colorization > ‘Internal’

And the ‘GB Palette’ option below it should be set to ‘GB - DMG’

16 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Retroarch > Quick Menu > Options > GB Colorization > ‘Internal’

And the ‘GB Palette’ option below it should be set to ‘GB - DMG’

I was just going to reply to say I'd tried GB - DMG, but the screen is very dark and hard to see properly.  The GB - Light option is clearer, but blue.

Also, what is the universal setting to change the frame for GB games?

I don't want surrounds like: 

IMG_7337.thumb.jpg.cf1ab9dff9cd48787bdb5a6d5378ccf3.jpg

I want all GB games to have the original GB look:

IMG_7338.thumb.jpg.cb79075c473faedcf01287bb28630158.jpg

Sorry for the noob questions!

In the previous menu there’s an option for on-screen overlay, just turn that off :)

EDIT: Oh sorry, you do want a surround, just the GB one. Not figured that out yet!

5 minutes ago, Paulando said:

In the previous menu there’s an option for on-screen overlay, just turn that off :)

EDIT: Oh sorry, you do want a surround, just the GB one. Not figured that out yet!

Yeah.  I want to set it universally so that all GB games have that second overlay.

1 hour ago, Stejay said:

I was just going to reply to say I'd tried GB - DMG, but the screen is very dark and hard to see properly.  The GB - Light option is clearer, but blue.

The overlay does add a filter to mine though which makes it darker. It kind of emulates the space between the pixels on the original hardware from what I can tell. I can’t figure out how to disable it when you have an overlay, but I definitely prefer it without the filter.