I suspect that 32 minutes was to the command to start engines, the Americans love their faff.

Tbf, F1 races don't actually start when advertised either, although at least it's the start of the parade lap rather than the "You might want to make this your last hamburger" time.

It's interesting, it's been credited with saving about 15 lives across the various forms already.

But it's not like we lost 15 people in the previous time period.

Equally it's clearly a very good thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Palou and Scott absolutely showing the long term Indycar drivers they need to watch out across those 2 races.  This is supposed to be the difficult part for road racing converts.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, another thing that bothers me is that I know Zac Brown has a Mclaren presence, but it’s bloody hard following the 2 drivers. Think that has to do with the leaderboard on the left screen highlighting them as individuals rather than a team. 

Really pleased for Grosjean. I think he got some unfair flak while he was in F1. I haven't watched Indycars in quite some time and I'd forgotten just how ,any adverts they have in the U.S. It must be very frustrating to watch. It's a shame SKY don't do what Eurosport used to do though, and have a couple of commentators take over when the U.S go to ad breaks. 

And yeah, as GwiDan said above, following who's who can be a bloody nightmare.

On 15/05/2021 at 21:03, Nick_L said:

The teams can run different liveries on each car which doesnt help

And from race to race but equally the teams don't matter so much and you'd learn the important ones by race 3 anyway.

They did used to do an excellent PDF spotters guide but it's now gone all Web2.0 and unprintable and unkeepononescreenable so it's basically worthless.

http://view.ceros.com/indycar/2021-spotters-guide/p/5

It used to be this

https://www.indycar.com/-/media/Files/2020/Indycar/02-IGP/indycar-spotterguide.pdf?la=en

I caught up with IndyCar on Sunday as I was ill and basically spent half of the day watching motorsports (2 Indy races, 3 BTCC and a Formula E all in 1 morning).

Great to see Grosean doing well, as others have said, he was quick in F1, but made some stupid mistakes, perhaps as he pushed too far in a crap car (much like I think Russell is doing actually) in equal machines he's starting to shine and I think the relaxed atmosphere will help him out.  Also great to see him doing it in one of the 'lesser' Indycar teams.  Also interesting to see back markers getting involved in the racing.  I don't think they lost Grosean the race (his performance on the hard tyre did that for him) but both Montoya and Sato certainly got their elbows out.

Yeah, money plays as much a part of Indy as it does in F1. Just not quite to the same eye-watering scale. There's more scope for a midfield team to get a good result. But the champion will more than likely be in a Ganassi or Penske car

I'm not convinced it plays as big a role, but as Dudley says, the competitions isn't so strong.

In terms of the Championship going to a Ganassi or Penske car, certainly the odds point in that way, and if you then include Andretti, you've covered every champ since 2003, but then, of those 17 seasons, 10 of them are covered by Dixon and Franchitti and many, many seats are filled by lower quality drivers who frankly are lucky to be there / are clearly there as they have money and some history. 

Watching drivers like Alex Palou doing so well, I wonder how, for example, the entire F2 field would do against some of the Indycar regulars.

On that, Indycar has a much larger 'drivers hanging around for too long' issue than F1 does (Bordais, Daly, RHR, Kanaan, Carpenter all some to mind)

I guess what comes out of all of this is, if Grosean does continue to do well this season, which Ganassi or Penske driver gets dropped, or do they just field yet another car!

Yeah, I mean Romain is, on pure speed at least, right with the midpack of F1 driver talent I think I'd probably not get too much pushback for saying.

Whereas the last Indy 500 was won by Takuma Sato, a splendid driver in many ways but who ran out of F1 teams willing to hire him a year before Romain even debuted.

The last 2 championships have gone to Dixon, the same age as Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen.

The big rookie hope is Alex Palou as mentioned. 2 campaigns in GP3, 1 win, 10th then 15th in the championship. 3rd in the championship is Josef Newgarden (18th in his season of GP3).

Simon Pagenaud, another former Indycar champion.  Did the season of Formula Renault won by Robert Kubica. Was 16th.

You get the idea.

And no disrespect, they're all professionals but you're not surprised when someone leaves a premiership club while still close to their prime, joins a championship club and suddenly scores a few goals.  Indycar is a driver talent level below F1, but so is probably literally any other motorsport. 

Well yes and tbh, Indycar is not the series it was (as CART) back then.

But you did have Emmo winning the championship 9 years after he left F1. And then finishing 2nd (To Mansell in 93) twice at the ages of 46 and 47.  Which meant the absolute best the US had to offer in 1993 was beaten by the F1 champions of 1972 and 1992.  Basically like if Lewis had defected to Indycar at the end of last year and his biggest competition was Mika Hakkinen.

But the same situation is true in 1993.  3rd in the title Paul Tracey (Benetton looked at him once and didn't look again), then Bobby Rahal (11th in Euro F2), then Raul Boesel (2 years in F1, no points) and 6th? Mario Andretti, F1 champion 15 years earlier and in his 50s. 

20 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Let's not forget the last time a half decent ex f1 peddler went across the pond 8-)

f1-hungarian-gp-1989-nigel-mansell-7202346.jpg

Good job the Andretti family developed the car for him, probably the reason why he could fit in it. 1994 wasn't such a success mind...

1 hour ago, marsh said:

Good job the Andretti family developed the car for him, probably the reason why he could fit in it. 1994 wasn't such a success mind...

Mansell pretty much pre-gave up on 1994, and by mid season already had both feet back in a Williams.

4 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Mansell pretty much pre-gave up on 1994, and by mid season already had both feet back in a Williams.

That’s more than he managed to fit in the McLaren in 1995.