IndyCar

TehStu

Grosjean has had disappointing endings to both of his races this weekend after qualifying well. Although the AMR safety team pushing him away when he's trying to put out the brake fire on his car was funny. 

Grosjean was outstanding today, His move on Rossi was insane. Seems like Indycar really suits his driving style, once everything clicks he’s going to win a few races this year. 

Magnussen also did a great job before his car let him down, especially considering his very limited running. 

Almost feels like we are entering an Indycar golden age. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

The race in Nashville is an embarrassing shambles, they should just stop it and go home. 

I can’t make my mind up whether to give up and go to bed. It’s so ridiculous. 

Americans seem to love these stupidly bumpy tracks because it's some sort of "Challenge". 

I think they're just a challenge to my patience of how long i'm prepared to watch yet another safety car. Tooling round past a collection large gentlemen in ill fitting race suits, milling around yet another stricken car in the wall. I half expect to see one of those bumper BBQ grills on the back of the numerous safety vehicles that turn up to every crash. 

The entrance and exit of the bridge look particularly like an accident waiting to happen.

3 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Americans seem to love these stupidly bumpy tracks because it's some sort of "Challenge". 

I think they're just a challenge to my patience of how long i'm prepared to watch yet another safety car. Tooling round past a collection large gentlemen in ill fitting race suits, milling around yet another stricken car in the wall. I half expect to see one of those bumper BBQ grills on the back of the numerous safety vehicles that turn up to every crash. 

The entrance and exit of the bridge look particularly like an accident waiting to happen.

They tried a BBQ in NASCAR, but it didn’t go so well. 

sw11-main-0128-16_9.jpg?width=2934&heigh

5 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Isn't that the jet heater / water remover thing they use?

Toasty sausages ahoy 

Yup, the marshals can cook their own dinner between yellow flags. 

That track was mad, too narrow for formula e for half of it and that bridge is suicide and I'm amazed it's allowed.   2 way racing on the same bridge?  Anyone gets launched (and Ericsson nearly did of course) and they could either by taking another car at 300mph or a solid bridge support with no protection at 200.

If I wasn't watching it two days later and thus knew there were no major issues I'd have switched off before the green.

But also race direction, you have a red flag with 5 to go, blatantly to have a grand stand finish then you start too early and waste 3/5th of those laps tootling alone behind the safety car.

They have to have space in the schedule for all the adverts.

Actually, watching that Nascar crash up there. The guy in the yellow car has enough time to get his helmet off and put a baseball cap on, before the safety crew even park up. 

Its so fucking wrong.

American commentators go on and on about their safety crews but in my experience they're universally awful compared to literally everywhere else.

And I think they get paid which shamefully ours don't.

• 4 weeks later...

Portland this weekend. Should be good - getting to the business end of the season now! Will be really interesting to see how Callum Illyrian goes too.

Oh, and I know I go on about Greg Moore a lot, but today is 22 years since Gonzalo Rodriguez lost his life in a Penske at Laguna Seca. Bloody good driver and by all accounts a lovely guy. Highly recommended people finding the documentary based on him called ‘Gonchi’ if you can.

So, Takuma Sato. How can he win two Indy 500's and do well at some races. Then at others be absolutely nowhere? I like him and am hoping he gets a drive next year, but boy does he seem to blow hot and cold. 

Shame Grosjean is still being a bit gung ho (though the commentators seem to love him) because I reckon in the right car he could do really well. I'm still not sure Jimmie Johnson should even be in a car though. He was abysmal at the start of the year. 

IndyCar can be random sometimes especially the Indy 500 where a full course caution at the right time puts you into position to win. As for Grosjean he's finally found a single seater series with cars strong enough to handle his 'racing is a contact sport' driving style. He's moving to Andretti and doing a full season next year so might have a chance at the title.

Qualifying for Long Beach starts in five minutes. Like Monaco it's a historic course but once the first lap is over makes for incredibly boring races.