rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
RubberJohnny

So the Vita is dead at this point, right?

I can't remember the last time I heard anyone talk about it, maybe a year ago?

It doesn't get reviews or chat on podcasts or anything, it's like it fell in a memory hole.

• Upvote 2

A real shame as it's my most used console at the moment. I do remember playing on one in a shop when it was first released and being a bit underwhelmed. It kind of felt like a bigger PSP and despite me being a fan of the PSP, it didn't feel different enough. Perhaps a lot of people felt the same. My gf bought me one much later on and with PS+ it's a great machine.

I must admit I haven't touched mine since getting my n3DS a couple of months ago. I've still got a backlog of games I'm looking to play on it, however, but there aren't any future releases I'm looking forward to, except maybe Hyper Light Drifter.

PSTV has resurrected my Vita - if only to play TxK on the big screen.

And I have loved Hotline Miami on it. Didnt get on with it at all on console or PC but plays perfectly on the Vita.

It will still carry on receiving new titles but I expect most of them to be indie releases.

It's pretty much an indie games machine for me. I'm currently digging through Pixeljunk Shooter. Actually quite lively on that side of things, although a lot of that is due to PS4 games getting simultaneous Vita versions.

It's an odd machine, it's a cracking piece of hardware and undoubtedly got a load of absolutely brilliant games but on the other hand I feel little impetus to actually play any of them but then that's a problem of having too many games in general to be fair. Add to that, what it arguably does best are the games that don't seem to sell systems to the masses and the blockbuster-ish games it does have I personally think don't fit well on the machine (I'd go as far as saying I'm finding Uncharted: Golden Abyss an unenjoyable slog, trying in vain to find some statues to do charcoal rubbings at the end of CH15 at the moment) and they need to be viewed on something physically bigger to convey the spectacle.

But there's the PS TV for that, yeah! Well, except for the games it mysteriously doesn't support and that it's confusingly named and marketed even less prevalently than the Vita was - which in itself was an odd one. Why, given the whole link in with the PS4, remote play and so on, was more not made of that? PS4 and Vita could and should be marketed more as a matching pair, surely? People certainly wouldn't be short of games to try given they amount of people that'd have PS+ to play online on PS4 for example. Yet they've just given up on it almost entirely because of a lack of popularity but there's always been a simple avenue to try increase popularity staring them in the face, they've just barely bothered with it choosing instead to make things like memory cards an expensive rarity as well for no apparent reason. Baffling.

• Upvote 2

Mine has not seen any action in a while sadly. There's just better games (for me) on the iPad so that's the portable console of choice. I think it was badly hurt by the poor Call of Duty game and almost equally poor Assassin's Creed one. Two big titles that failed to deliver- if it actually had a proper kick ass CoD game then I think the console might have taken off.

I don't think having it bundled with such a small memory card really helped either. Unless you wanted to buy physical only (and it's not like shops were teeming with titles) it meant having to go and buy an expense memory card too.

I used mine mainly to play PSP games. I get that it's got a pretty good stream of indie games, but I was hoping for the big console experience on the move- some decent first person shooters, a GTA, the Bishock was that planned but never really started...

It's pretty much an indie games machine for me. I'm currently digging through Pixeljunk Shooter. Actually quite lively on that side of things, although a lot of that is due to PS4 games getting simultaneous Vita versions.

This. It's basically a portable indie machine and it's great for that. Apart from that, yes, it's dead. Sony will probably hardly mention it at their E3 presser.

Every once in a while I think I should pick one up for the Konami retro compilations (Gradius, Castlevania, maybe some others..?), but then realise that I'd only be doing so because I'm too lazy to hunt for the original games/hardware in my parents loft.

What's the going rate for a Vita nowadays anyway?

It's probably my most used console since it's on pretty much every day for Puyo Puyo Tetris, I can't remember the last time I played anything else on it though.

Ive been looking to grab one again so have kept an eye on the prices, In the trading folder its about £90 vita only with a memory card as a average price - its been higher/lower before too.

Vita TV are about 45/40 new but only have 1GB on-board so a memory card is a must. Also not compatible with many games.

Worth it for Everybody's Golf, Killzone and the Hotline Miami games alone IMO. It's also got a killer version of MK9 and SFxTekken (if you can find it!) It's a shame they never ported SSFIV to it.

I took mine on holiday last year and played through some of the PS+ backlog I had and it kept me going all week. For the £80 odd quid I'd get selling it on I'd rather keep it.

Worth it for Persona 4 Golden, but Killzone, WRC 4, Freedom Wars, Everybody's Golf, Smash Tennis (or whatever it's called), Wipeout, Tearaway, Gravity Rush, Dynasty Warriors 8 (not the rubbish Dynasty Warriors Next), various EDF games and Final Fantasy are all excellent unless you already have them on other consoles.

Need for Speed, Formula 1 2011, Spy Hunter, the Fifa games, the rugby game and various Japanese silly games (like the tap dancing one) are all worth having.

Plus, you can use it for remote play of your PS4 if you have one.

I always found it maddening you can't buy games like the Sonic widescreen remasters or Pac Man DX and the like. The Vita would be perfect for these and the colours would be sensational!

Instead I had to buy the Sonic 2 remaster for my android phone which looks and sounds fantastic but the controls....eh

• Upvote 2

Sega should release Saturn remasters on Vita for the ultimate irony.

I love my Vita; it gets a lot of use playing retro, indie and those odd Japanese-y games, many of which have been free through PS+. Standouts for me are Virtue's Last Reward, Persona 4 Golden and the Spyro trilogy. Tearaway was good, too.

EG put up some of their top picks a few days ago:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-24-the-best-vita-games-3695

The lack of (AAA) upcoming games is a shame, and the high price of the /use of proprietary memory cards was a poor idea, but indies should still be coming for a while yet.

I don't go for the indie dross that PS+ pumps out, but it'll never die for me due to the immense back catalogue of excellent JRPGs and SRPGs.

Plus - portable Spelunky!

I don't go for the indie dross that PS+ pumps out, but it'll never die for me due to... portable Spelunky!

Something here doesn't quite add up.

• Upvote 1

Every once in a while I think I should pick one up for the Konami retro compilations (Gradius, Castlevania, maybe some others..?), but then realise that I'd only be doing so because I'm too lazy to hunt for the original games/hardware in my parents loft.

What's the going rate for a Vita nowadays anyway?

Can you play the Gradius collection on the Vita..? I had it on the PSP (along with the amazing Parodius one) but it never seemed available for download on the Vita.

I didn't really like my Vita, despite the monthly PS+ releases (and backlog of those titles built up since the service began) I quickly bored of it after getting one mid last year. If it wasn't for iPhones and the like my opinion may be different, but I don't regret selling it at all.

I've barely used mine - the only games I've played much have been Hotline Miami and Virtua Tennis 4. I appreciate the machine and PS+ is tremendous value, I just tend to gravitate more towards the big screen experience, so the games I have are left untouched.

I use mine like nearly every day...I absolutely love it.

There are so many games I've played on it and wish to play in the future, I just can't get enough.

The next version should be basically a PS4 pad with a screen though, similar to how they are doing with the Z3/PS4 mount.