rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
RJ Badman

Awesome FMV Games(?)

Are there any? :)

I was a console lad for my entire childhood and as such didn't see much of these kinds of games, be they games that merely feature live-action FMV in part, or are totally comprised of FMV, like D. but I must say that most of them I've quite enjoyed. I've never completed one, I don't think, but that was due to various circumstances; I played the Daedalus Encounter at school, my PC blew up when playing Burn:Cycle, and my playthrough of Gabriel Knight 2 was knackered by a bug. It's like something was trying to tell me something. ;)

I don't even mind D. It was slow and clunky, but even now, in the age of things like P.T. and Amnesia, there's something oddly futuristic to me about exploring a haunted building in total FMV. I'd be interested in learning about more of this kind of FMV game in particular.

Out of the lot I think I enjoyed Gabriel Knight 2 the best. Genuinely good point and click gameplay mixed with accidental comedy thanks to the awkwardness of the situations (meeting the camp chap with the brandy, saying hello, sitting down, making eye contact, then just choosing "Well I'd best get going", heh) I really need to play The 7th Guest properly also.

Road avenger is a pretty awesome fmv game ( well, if you class it as fmv).

Toon struck was also a good point and click game with some fmv. Unfortunately the game had content cut which was due in the sequel but it never came to be releases.

1994's Under A Killing Moon is wonderfully cheesy, and actually a pretty decent adventure game, with impressive-for-the-time first-person exploration and everything!

The later Tex Murphy games are also worth a look, though their increasing levels of polish take a little off the charm. There was even a game in the series released a last year, still FMV-based, still with the same actors, and still a surprisingly good first-person adventure game beneath it all:

I enjoyed what I played of Wing Commander IV a few years back. That game was pretty heavy in FMV use.

When I saw this, I thought... THIS IS THE FUTURE!!

Certainly beat Space Harrier and Afterburner by a few years. And the Clint Eastwood film was pretty boring in comparison.

And then SEGA released this a few years later... you had to see it in action.. IT WAS A FREAKIN' HOLOGRAM!

• Upvote 2

Another vote for Road Avenger and Cobra Command. And, I erm... realy liked Tomcat Alley back in the day.

Road Avenger's intro song - brought by what I presume was a tone deaf singer - is the stuff of legend:

All together now: "It made you feel like running from me then, girl! How many more tears must I shed, so as to melt the freezing wall of time?"

Incredible machine, my local arcade had one.

Arcade_complete_view.jpg

I saw a working one of these in Margate around 1988, the holograph effect was really very good, I'm surprised it never got used again!

I wonder if the maintenance costs were really high?

It was an amazing game at the time, but it was really just Dragon's Lair again!

I didn't know that Atari made a laserdisc Battlestar Galactica game, but was unreleased... check it out!

(unfortunately it's a direct copy, so it's totally fit inducing!)

• Upvote 1

Another vote for Road Avenger and Cobra Command. And, I erm... realy liked Tomcat Alley back in the day.

Road Avenger's intro song - brought by what I presume was a tone deaf singer - is the stuff of legend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CNf3luFiLw

All together now: "It made you feel like running from me then, girl! How many more tears must I shed, so as to melt the freezing wall of time?"

I think everyone who played that game made up their own lyrics. One of the best mega cd games too.

Road Avenger had such simple left/right/brake/turbo controls that it really felt like you had control a lot more than most laser games. The scenarios were insane too, driving through buildings and out of windows. I tried once to fix the music because it sounded slowed down, but it was just terrible singing after all.

There's a great Playstation 1 version called Road Blaster FX which is permanently on my PSP. But it doesn't have that theme song.

Incredible machine, my local arcade had one.

Arcade_complete_view.jpg

I remember seeing this in the arcade in Swanage in ermmmm... at some point. It didn't look like that, though, it has glass dome, so you could view it from any angle and controls to one side. Never, ever saw anyone play it, though. I think mostly because it was a quid a go at a time when everything else was 20p a go.

A time traveller has recently been unearthed in an arcade op raid recently in Manchester.

I will say Dragons lair for the thread topic, but only on an arcade machine, and in an arcade :D

I remember seeing this in the arcade in Swanage in ermmmm... at some point. It didn't look like that, though, it has glass dome, so you could view it from any angle and controls to one side. Never, ever saw anyone play it, though. I think mostly because it was a quid a go at a time when everything else was 20p a go.

Your memory is faulty.

It looked like that.

Looking into it was like looking into 'half a dome' though.

My favourite was probably Mad Dog McCree. I think I'm the only person to buy the 3DS version.

I saw a working one of these in Margate around 1988, the holograph effect was really very good, I'm surprised it never got used again!

It kind of did. There was a conversion kit to make it into a rubbish fighting game called Holosseum. This was partly because of the success of Street Fighter II but also because the laser disc players turned out to be unreliable.

I wonder if the maintenance costs were really high?

Production cost of Time Traveler was expensive because of the live action video. From what I gather the novelty of the unit wore off quite quickly too. Lack of interest in Holosseum probably didn't help either. I wouldn't have thought maintenance cost would have been too high other than the unreliability of the laser disc players; the actual "hologram" effect was created with nothing more than a CRT monitor and a mirror.

• Upvote 1

I was convinced it had a glass dome. I remember I kept bumping my head on it, trying to look closer at the attract mode.

My only encounter with it as a child remembers it as a dome too. I could be mistaken of course, it was a long time ago!