IGNORED

XCOM 2 - War of the Chosen

Nespresso

Don't fret too much about the doom track. Yeah it creeps up and the game flashes warning lights and makes a big deal out of it, but really you've got quite a bit of time and plenty of opportunities to wind it back later on. Just focus on not getting killed, and proceeding with your story objectives. If the bar ever gets filled it's not immediately game over, you a countdown instead which gives you something like a month to do something to reduce the track (which then resets the counter).

Get your GTS and AWC rooms built as soon as possible, in that order. Trained soldiers with actual abilities are so much better than rookies, and the healing increase from the AWC is invaluable. Also, the sooner you get the AWC online, the sooner your soldiers will start to unlock hidden abilities, which can be one of the most broken mechanics in the game if you get lucky.

Prioritise engineers over scientists early on.

Don't underestimate how amazingly useful the Battle Scanner can be, revealing an area without waking a pod can make the difference between success and a wipe.

Don't ever pick the gunslinger abilities for your Sharpshooters.

GTS => Guerrilla Tactics School 

AWS => Advanced Warfare Centre (right? why 's'?)

I have not got the dlc but played vanilla and a mild feeling of panic seems normal to me! I turned off the turn counters (with a mod on pc... not sure if possible on filthy consoles!) and it is much more relaxing! 

Agree with the above about the GTS & AWS. If you've got the expansion, get an infirmary and a Training centre. With the expansion it is possible to make do with a single resistance contact room and a single power source - but probably not on your first playthrough.

Find 6 soldiers at least one of each class, and when they get to the top rank, make them bright yellow or something so they stand out and remember to look after them. Make sure your grenadier has a WAR Suit at some point, everyone else can get the advanced light armour (forgot the name, but it gives extra health and armour - it's a squad upgrade).

If you've got the expansion, I found the reapers incredibly useful, as are the covert missions which allow you to build up ability points to spend on your yellow soldiers (as well as other perks like free resistance contacts and free power upgrades. Don't kill the chosen straight off - as the covert missions drop in quality, and you can't meet the chosen again to kill them in a regular mission (each kill grants 5 ability points).

Get used to saying "FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!" a lot.

8 hours ago, fragglerock said:

GTS => Guerrilla Tactics School 

AWS => Advanced Warfare Centre (right? why 's'?)

I have not got the dlc but played vanilla and a mild feeling of panic seems normal to me! I turned off the turn counters (with a mod on pc... not sure if possible on filthy consoles!) and it is much more relaxing! 

Whoops! AWC is indeed right. I work with Amazon's AWS a lot, probably had that in my head.

• 6 months later...

I kind of fell off this after release, but I'm quite interested in this new DLC they've released. It's free until Dec 14th, if you have the "War of the Chosen" expansion, which is also on sale.

XCOM 2 Tactical Legacy Pack is a successful experiment in quickfire campaigns

XCOM 2 is great, but a full War of the Chosen campaign is a hefty endeavour. What if you could just chain a few missions together to enjoy the equipment power curve, without having to manage the Avenger? The Tactical Legacy Pack is an experiment in storytelling and campaign structure. Across seven missions, XCOM stalwart Central Officer Bradford recounts the time between the end of Enemy Unknown and the start of XCOM 2, covering the collapse of the XCOM project, and the formation of the resistance

Between missions you get a choice of two squad-wide upgrades—special ammo or special grenades?—and your squad automatically levels up and gains new traits. Their guns get better too, which is useful because the enemies become more advanced with each mission. You essentially get to see the game's entire power curve unfold over the course of just a few hours.

I like it a lot.

A more arcadey XCOM that doesn't take 30+ hours and still keeps a story focus sounds great, and an avenue I'd like them to explore with future projects.

• 1 month later...

I gave this a try last night and quit during the first mission. Flanking and deception does not work. The AI will know the position of all your units even if they are hidden. This pretty much destroys the tactical aspect of the game

3 hours ago, Paul3704 said:

Never had that issue...

When you were moving towards the enemies, did you notice their red view cone? Don't move in that.

I moved half my team on the right side of the screen and the other half on the left. The units on the left half were way behind the units on the right, and as the ones on the right made contact the AI immediately rushed towards the left and took up defensive positions. 

When one of your units is detected, the enemy's pod will all become aware of that unit, and if they were not already alert, they will run into cover. It's possible that the AI just happened to choose cover in the direction of your other units?

• 5 months later...

It's worth playing through the base game first, without the Alien Hunters or Shen's Last Gift DLC packs or WotC. But get the Deluxe Edition (includes the minor DLC packs) if you think there's any chance you'll play through it more than once, since it's only a couple of quid extra.

The Collection includes all the DLC and WotC, but is £25. Last time I played WotC it was still performing really badly on a base PS4. I don't know if it's been patched since, or if it's better on a Pro (if you've got one), but I wouldn't bother at this stage. You could easily pick it up on its own for the difference in a future sale.

TL;DR get the Deluxe pack but play without the DLC switched on first time (or Alien Hunters at least, which makes the game harder).

• 1 year later...

I'm thinking of playing through it again now I've got the PS5. I had a quick look at the base game the other day and just the loading times will make a difference over the PS4 version.

The performance of WotC was so unstable when I first played it that I never tried an Ironman run. Maybe now's the time.

On 25/03/2021 at 15:28, chris on the moon said:

I'm very late to this (playing on switch), but God, the war of the chosen expansion is just utterly miserable. Endless zombies and interruptions from purple skeleton bell ends. It's a real slog! I think I preferred the base game.

Well SOMEONE hasn't trained up a single Ranger with the Bladestorm skill, given them the Assassin's Katana and sent them off on their own into a mission with the Horde sitrep... 8-)

• 1 year later...

Fuck me this is hard. I loved and finished the first (new) XCOM about 10 years ago but this is kicking my arse. I failed the first proper mission three times! It seems to emphasise the importance of setting up an ambush, but this goes out of the window when an enemy wanders into your squad and gets free moves. Plus there's a time limit!

I don't think the Epic side of things is great either, the Epic and 2k Launchers sit in the background and modding looks to be a pain in the arse compared to Steam.

Also it seems to have done the Alien 3 thing with the plot (lol that was all pointless) which is a turn off.

I actually much prefer the first (of the reboots) XCOM to Vanilla XCOM2 - exactly because of that stuff. However: the War of the Chosen expansion resolves nearly everything about the implementation of most of it and the balance of those elements, and for me is the best game in the series. That's the only way to play XCOM2 for me now.

7 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

If I’m going in fresh (having played the first game), should I go straight for War of the Chosen, or run through the vanilla game first?

Eh, hmm, tough one. If you had not played any of the games, I would say play the first XCOM. But seeing as you have played that, maybe try Vanilla XCOM2 and see how you feel after a couple of sessions. If you don't get on with it just jump right into War of the Chosen.

I'd say you probably could just jump right into WotC really if you wanted, as the game is much the same but better designed, with more cool stuff and more friendly pacing. I dislike the "Marvel villains" style of the new story stuff though, but the game itself is just so well made I can ignore that.

It's also hard to say for certain as I would have been coming at WotC too from the perspective of being familiar with how the vanilla game worked. It does change an awful lot though, enough that WotC actually feels more like XCOM3 in some ways.

If it helps, just think of War of the Chosen as being XCOM3 in all but name.

Yeah I really wouldn't recommend Wotc until you have played a good amount of the vanilla XCOM 2. Wotc throws a huge amount of new stuff in and is very difficult. However its also brilliant and I'd say the best version of XCOM available. 

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

If anyone is looking for more like this, the closest I've played to an xcom 3 is the new Warhammer 40K Chaos Gate game. It's exactly xcom with space marines.

Ooh! I've just been thinking how much I was after a new xcom, I think I'll have to give this a look. 

I hammered xcom2 on steam with a load of the mods (some of which are massive and add proper structure and other tech etc) and war of the chosen I somehow didn't enjoy as much. The "nemesis" type things just really fucked me off and I seemed to keep getting missions which had way more enemies than the scanning would suggest, let alone my ability. 

I think my last save i was playing was one where my exit/ map  objective was literally surrounded by those new robots, like 15 of them or something weird. Basically impossible with where my troops were at. That kind of thing kept on happening and I had to save scum it to get anywhere. I did finish it but I dunno, I agree with the "slog" point made up thread. It somehow didn't seem as fun as xcom2 with a load of mods. 

But space marines xcom... colour me interested. 

I read earlier that they locked some in game items (not skins) exclusively behind some timed Twitch drops. Yeah fuck that.

However minor, I would expect the game I buy to be "complete", or at least to have access to all content at one overall price. I can't support those practices on full price games.

17 minutes ago, Benny said:

I read earlier that they locked some in game items (not skins) exclusively behind some timed Twitch drops. Yeah fuck that.

However minor, I would expect the game I buy to be "complete", or at least to have access to all content at one overall price. I can't support those practices on full price games.

Oh interesting. That led to me searching...

The developers have miraculously realised this was fucking stupid after people told them so and will open that content up in May.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/warhammer-40-000-chaos-gate-daemonhunters-update-on-twitch-drops.603161/#post-9832858

They must know a large part of the gaming audience hates this shit right? Like no one goes "holy shit this game has twitch drops I love it" do they? Obviously not. I get there's business here but I wonder when companies will realise how good they are at punching themselves in the face.

How much "money" or attention did they think this would drive? Twitch drops are a bullshit idea. How would having them drive more attention to your game? Like what dumb fuck even imagines that's a thing. Is there a hoard of people searching for twitch streams with drops and then playing games they get drops for?

20 hours ago, b00dles said:

Ooh! I've just been thinking how much I was after a new xcom, I think I'll have to give this a look. 

I hammered xcom2 on steam with a load of the mods (some of which are massive and add proper structure and other tech etc) and war of the chosen I somehow didn't enjoy as much. The "nemesis" type things just really fucked me off and I seemed to keep getting missions which had way more enemies than the scanning would suggest, let alone my ability. 

I think my last save i was playing was one where my exit/ map  objective was literally surrounded by those new robots, like 15 of them or something weird. Basically impossible with where my troops were at. That kind of thing kept on happening and I had to save scum it to get anywhere. I did finish it but I dunno, I agree with the "slog" point made up thread. It somehow didn't seem as fun as xcom2 with a load of mods. 

But space marines xcom... colour me interested. 

I thought War of the Chosen was great but like you I found it way too hard. I tried a few campaigns on Hard and although I could get quite far in the end my games turned into exactly what you describe. The timed objectives were a great idea to force pushing forwards, but combined with the RNG of levels and enemy placements could basically turn into suicide missions - and with the meta goals being so tight, you often had no choice but to continue with the mission or you'd lose in the long run.

I have also been following the Deamon Hunters reviews and it sounds great. Sadly my PC isn't good enough to run it though and I don't have an Xbox, so I pray they release it on other consoles down the line!

I found War of the Chosen easier than vanilla XCOM 2, mainly because it gives you more tools to deal with a lot on the things the sequel introduced from what I remember. Then again, could just be familiarity. There's definitely a lot of reloads involved on Commander (hard) and Legendary difficulties.