IGNORED

Dark Souls 3

Bojangle

2 hours ago, mechamonkey said:

Can someone explain how matchmaking/invasions work relative to weapon level?

i know it's based on how far you have enhanced your weapons so I'm thinking if I level up too far I'm going to cut out a sizeable chunk of the games population and get invaded by maxed out pvp beasts, is that right?

If you're progressing as normal, you can't be 'over-levelled' weapon-wise because the game drip feeds the upgrades mats at a set pace.

The weapon level matchmaking is to stop elite players completing the game at SL1 (or whatever), maxing out their weapons, then invading n00bs who have only just started.

Got to (probably don't read unless at least near the end of NG)  

Anor London

for the first time last night and fuck me, that was a greatest moment in videogaming moment...

Seeing the architecture become increasingly reminiscent of DS1 Anor Londo as you progress through the Ithyl area - lots of nooks and crannies that just seem very familiar. Then you see the spiral lift and all doubt disappears. And you realise you are actually exploring an even older version of an already very ancient place. Very, very cool feeling and a great bit of design I think, although I guess that this is part of what some people were criticising as "fan service" earlier in the thread. I loved it though. 

Just fighting the Devourer boss, who is a bit of a twat with that rain-of-knives spell - particularly when he has low health,when he seems to track me with it incessantly until I die. Any tips for avoiding it? 

I'd still really like to see an in-its-prime Anor Londo. Would love it if there was some sort of memory time travel thing like in DS2, where you see Anor Londo as a living city, with people going about their business with gods living among them and personally overseeing things.

On 12/05/2016 at 10:39 AM, mechamonkey said:

@dood farm a great machete from SL (the guys with the huge saw looking things / cages /soup bowls) I've used it on my STR build right up until YtG, it's ace and you can buff it! 

Just made a terrible mistake re Sirris

Reveal hidden contents

Hmm not sure I like that great machete, I mean it has badass reach but the sharpen doesn't seem to give me health back, like the butcher knife does! How weird.  

Loving the great axe. So brutal. Especially the full charged R2 after using the weapon art. Am at the point where I really need to start upping my vit, I am struggling to carry the things I want to know I have the Arbalest! 

I've not used the great axe, machette is awesome for hyper armoring through attacks and staggering things, I did use the Butchers Knife initially but once I had enough estus flasks never bothered with it again after the awesome CHOP SMASH  power of the machette, I've just gone back to it again (from Yhorms) for the post DotBV areas to fire buff it.

sent yo a friend request on psn @dood we must smush things in coop ;p

Having finished this I felt decidedly empty and have set out to rectify this by playing through Super Metroid (shamefully for the first time). My brother has been banging on about how if I like Dark Souls I should really be playing that, and he is doubtless correct. It's striking how similar the games are - they both instil this great urge to explore every aspect of their environments. I just completed my first proper expedition into Norfair and was amazed to end up half an hour later right back at a previous bonfire (sorry save point). Next having discovered the speed-booster I was able to unlock a short-cut back to an earlier section. Imagine if NX were to launch with a From directed Metroid reboot? I can but dream. 

Awesome, my Mrs is away for the night so once kids are in bed I'll be on ALL NIGHT :D

Whereabouts are you? I've 1 char on ng+, 2 new @ high wall, 2 new a bit further, abyss Watchers ish. 

29 minutes ago, mechamonkey said:

On first playthrough, just killed 

Reveal hidden contents

Oceiros

So still have a load of options, I've only the one character on PS4 though but I think it doesn't matter which play through you're on for summoning?

The playthrough doesn't affect summoning, aside from the logistics of me getting to the same point in the game as you to put down my sign! 

Having said that, I beat

Spoiler

Dancer before even going to Undead Settlement on ng+, so I might be able to help you through Lothric Castle! Further than that might be tricky though, heh. 

Been plugging away at this for a week or so and thoroughly enjoying it. After initially finding it tough in the first few areas have now really got in to the swing of it again. Got a little bored by US but then finally moved on after some more exploration. Spent last night literally creeping round CotD and CoC with that fear factor feeling from the original DeS and DaS back. Should I go back and bank what I have or keep moving forward whilst remembering to breath as I come round each new corner. Inevitably moving on due to curiosity and paying the horrible price. Many, many swearing fits have been had so far. :)

Gone for the usual knight build with an upgraded longsword (though do like that icy one (Irithyll?) you get) and newly found crest shield now along with a longbow for sniping and have so many other weapons and stuff picked up but I just never bother using them, I really should. Not used the new focus moves at all yet so must try that as well. Lots of jolly coop which never fails to make me giggle as it’s so silly but fun. Waving at your nemesis across a yawning gap and so on and so forth, nothing quite like it.

The frame rate on ps4 is appalling and it is really treacly, for want of a better word, in places but I still love the worlds From create, nothing like them. Looking forward to exploring further… :)

You should feel dirty because this advice comes from someone who's spent hours using the sniper crossbow to troll invaded players whilst wearing the obscuring ring. I had someone jump to his death once because he thought he was being damaged by a hacker. Free pale tongues!

25 minutes ago, Benny said:

You should feel dirty because this advice comes from someone who's spent hours using the sniper crossbow to troll invaded players whilst wearing the obscuring ring. I had someone jump to his death once because he thought he was being damaged by a hacker. Free pale tongues!

You should see this then

Spoiler

That's shocking - and brilliant :D

Had to hold off on the new ENB video as he's gone another way into an area I haven't ventured into as yet. 

I'm hoping to get some time to play today and the wife and kids are going out this afternoon!

OtCK down on the second go! What a great fight and very reminiscent of 

Spoiler

The Blood Starved Beast from Bloodborne. A really tense battle that got my heart racing when he hit the second phase and I was dodging most of his moves. I couldn't believe I actually beat him. 

I also made good progress in the other area - which seems to be huge.

Spoiler

Lotheric Castle/Profane Garden place. I don't quite get those dragons but what a set piece. However, I chickened out of that fight and used the bow to take them down

For me the bow really comes into its own. With patience you can take down almost anything, and I'm finding two well placed arrows does around as much damage as my +8 Longsword. 

Did meet what I assume is the next boss (side boss?)

Spoiler

Dragon Amourer. By that time I had 30,000 souls so got out of there. 

I've just entered the next area after OtCK fight and am a bit baffled by the name of the bonfire...

Spoiler

Cemetery of Ash - is this the longest motherfucking loop in a Souls game?!

I see! 

Really enjoying the game a great deal but I keep coming back to the fact that I enjoy the wandering around and fighting as opposed to the boss fights. 

I do feel a lot of the game is wasted on me though. Lore aside (which is what ENB is for) I barely use any of the items. Not even bothered with the resins this time around. Not used the alluring skulls, those bug pellet things or much else. Still using the starting weapon (though I'd dabbled a bit), using Silver Knight armour and the compound bow. 

Same with the weapons art, which I think is a bit of a missed opportunity. No idea how they could change it, but I find I've barely used it at all except in that one fight. 

Yet it's still easily the game of the year for me, and almost certainly the best since Bloodborne. I don't know if its better than DS1, but I think it's more accessible that than game. Much better than DS2 which just didn't click with me. Not better than BB, but a worth successor, so to speak.

Really looking forward to the DLC and I think I've still got a bit of a way to go. I also intend to revisit most of the areas to fuck those fuckers up who knocked me about when I was a lowly level 25 with a +2 longsword. 

DotBV and OtCK down.

Currently doing UG and AP areas (but both feel like small optional zones). The AP boss (AW), Jesus how do you fight that?

Also feels like I'm missing a boss/exit in LC, so need to explore that a bit more too. It's nice having options.

Feels like the home stretch now, and still loving it. Amazing game.

On the subject of that bit with the two

Spoiler

crocodile rats

I just remembered I once summoned someone just before to help, who had voice comms on. I cleared the fireball guys like a boss as we got invaded and killed the invader so he was like, "nice, mate. Nice." And then we got to the ladder which I pointed to so he went "oh right are we going this way, cool, never seen that." So I get to the bottom, accidentally aggro both, and run back up the ladder before he's got off and we both peg it, all the while him going "oh shit oh shit!" Get to the top and he's pissing himself laughing looking down the hole going "They're EATING THE LADDER, FUCK THAT!" I keep making falling to knees gestures and pointing down the ladder and he goes "You still need to go down there? You must be joking."

And he then ran off up the ramp, only to get shot off. I think the last thing I heard him say as he fell was "What the fuck? Oh, cobblers!"

Great guy.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

DotBV and OtCK down.

Currently doing UG and AP areas (but both feel like small optional zones). The AP boss (AW), Jesus how do you fight that?

Also feels like I'm missing a boss/exit in LC, so need to explore that a bit more too. It's nice having options.

Feels like the home stretch now, and still loving it. Amazing game.

AW boss tip. 

Spoiler

He can be one-shotted by a plunging attack to his head. 

Had a great little sesh this morning after sadly not being able to get on last night (apologies @dood).

cleared quite a bit off 

Spoiler

did UG and worked out how to get to AP (feeling like a right clever clogs) then cleared AP (died so got to help someone with the wyvern fight before I went in alone, so I knew what to do sadly)

killed HtR, and second boss surprisingly easily, I think I was in full on balls deep concentration mode.

i very much like being Nemesis the Warlock :)