Dark Souls 3

Bojangle

I think I have reached the end of the DLC, or near to it,  now at what I would say was the final boss

but seriously fuck the last boss. I hated 2 stage bosses before, but 3!?!? From upped the sadistic angle x1000. I would assume given the brutality of some of the regular enemies here is that the next and final DLC area to come will be even more savage. 

Until then I've shelved it, I might co-op the last boss, as I didn't enjoy the wolf battle thing either.

On 11/9/2016 at 12:48, englishbob said:

I think I have reached the end of the DLC, or near to it,  now at what I would say was the final boss

Hide contents

but seriously fuck the last boss. I hated 2 stage bosses before, but 3!?!? From upped the sadistic angle x1000. I would assume given the brutality of some of the regular enemies here is that the next and final DLC area to come will be even more savage. 

Until then I've shelved it, I might co-op the last boss, as I didn't enjoy the wolf battle thing either.

The first two stages are really easy when you work out what to do, do you want some tips? The third stage is very hard but doable alone

On 09/11/2016 at 12:48, englishbob said:

Reveal hidden contents

She's definitely hard, and I had my own tantrum about her earlier in the thread, but you'll get there eventually. Make sure you get the NPC summon before the battle, to the left before the descending staircase.

I'll take your pos as yes I would like some tips.

In the first stage Frieda is quite easily parry-able, you could try experiementing with technique, timing and which parry tool to use, I found the caestus worked well for her as she is fairly fast. And then for the second stage all you have to do is concentrate on the big man and avoid Frieda's ice aoe attack. Watch my video just for the first two stages and you can see just how easy it was though it took me a good 20 or so goes to get this down:

Just now, Jamie John said:

That's some good work there @Minion. Even with your l33t skills in the first two rounds, though, she still nearly gets you in the third. I bet there was some extreme sphincter clenching going on there. Good job.

Thanks! Yes indeed there was, I was lucky in that 3rd phase!

• 4 weeks later...

Does upgrading shields do nothing except increase the amount of damage they do when you hit someone with them?

I mean, I can kind of see that's what they do, from the stats - but I am surprised it doesn't increase the amount of damage absorption. Has that been the way it's worked all through the series? Never really bothered with upgrading shields before but I seem to have a lot more Titanite Slabs than I ended up with, in the others, so thought I might have a go. 

I see every upgrade makes a miniscule increase ( i.e 1) to a stat called "Stability" as well, but that doesn't seem significant.

Do any of the special shield abilities (Grass Crest stamina recovery etc) get more powerful as you upgrade them?

Stability is the primary reason (in most cases the only one) to upgrade a shield. The higher the stability the harder it is for your guard to be broken when blocking. 

The abilities some shields have (stamina/health regen etc) don't improve as far as I'm aware. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

They've added some cool images to the Facebook page, a few screens but also some concept art-looking stuff, complete with a bit of flavor text for each!  

https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=ms.c.eJw9jdsNADEIwzY6QcMj7L~%3BYqaXl13IcRZVJOUSxhPnpBirMyGJoNZBKwMJN5AHHNtLxAHgM~_GsUujEG7UzWmob1bcxLGxgDuQ2VaQTb4H2heWQlQ3~_SrCmp.bps.a.1399408930132147.1073741859.119869331419453&type=1

(sorry for shitty Facebook link, I know not how else to share it) 

I still haven't played through Ashes yet, to my shame.  Might just start the whole  game again later in the year.   Feel more of an urge to replay Bloodborne first, tbh. 

The DLC looks sadly uninspired. I'm glad From are done with Souls for now and are moving on, they just seem really fatigued with the series and this latest DLC appears to be more of the same. DS3 was decent enough but in no way essential, I started NG+ but couldn't be bothered to progress much past the first couple of bosses. Possibly Souls fatigue on my part but I'm currently part way through NG+ on Bloodborne and loving it, so not sure.

I bloody love ds3. 2nd run through near end, mopped up dlc on the way. Properly under my skin.

its not the best in the series, but it is an exceptionally high bar. Still more ideas packed into it than most shite out there.

8 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

The DLC looks sadly uninspired. I'm glad From are done with Souls for now and are moving on, they just seem really fatigued with the series and this latest DLC appears to be more of the same. DS3 was decent enough but in no way essential, I started NG+ but couldn't be bothered to progress much past the first couple of bosses. Possibly Souls fatigue on my part but I'm currently part way through NG+ on Bloodborne and loving it, so not sure.

Bloodborne is fresher feeling, despite coming a year before.   The things you see in Dark Souls 3 - in general - just don't feel new or interesting, you know?  A lot of long time fans have spent countless hours in that universe.  Bloodborne feels sufficiently different that it is much more appealing right now, for me at least. 

I'd straight up buy Bloodborne 2.  Wouldn't even need to see a screenshot or anything.   Dark Souls 4, though?  Hmmmmmmm. I'd probably leave it.

2 hours ago, dood said:

The walking and exploring is the best bit, tbh! 

That's the way I look at it. I saw everything else in the DLC and can get the bosses to their final stage, so I don't feel like I'm missing much. I need to start a new character really so I can do co-op again because my level is too high.

I did do the Bloodborne DLC on my own though (which I enjoyed a lot more then this DLC). My level was probably so high in that game that it made it really easy. I killed Orphan of Kos on my first try.

Bloodborne is virtually identical to Dark Souls (particularly 3), but at least that shows how a little bit of variation, like the quick movement in place of a shield*, can liven up the formula a bit

*Though, thinking about it, a shield is ineffective against probably the majority of Souls bosses anyway.

6 hours ago, Sir DangerM said:

That's the way I look at it. I saw everything else in the DLC and can get the bosses to their final stage, so I don't feel like I'm missing much. I need to start a new character really so I can do co-op again because my level is too high.

I did do the Bloodborne DLC on my own though (which I enjoyed a lot more then this DLC). My level was probably so high in that game that it made it really easy. I killed Orphan of Kos on my first try.

You can co-op with a password that ignores the level parameters in matchmaking by the way.

Really looking forward to this, it looks like they are going to at least try to finish up some of the story from DS3, rather than just go off on a mad tangent with some new storyline with only tenuous links to what's gone on before, like they usually do. It would just be nice to have this rounded off - how all the storyline elements we've been drip-fed (Manus, the gods of Anor Londo, the abyss, the serpents, the fire and the curse etc) are all supposed to be connected. Is there any fundamental reality to the world of Dark Souls, or is it just, as it appears, a place of converging realities and flitting, dream-like narratives? I know it's asking a bit much for all of this to be covered in the DLC but I am encouraged by the fact that the ringed city is apparently the "city of the pygmies" so I'm really hoping for some lore hints to give us a more fleshed out view of what's been going on. 

But that wouldn't exactly be From's style, I suppose. 

Finally got around to playing Ashes of Andariel last week, it was ok, certainly didn't enjoy it as much as some previous DLCs, I got really annoyed stumbling around for hours until I finally found 

Spoiler

The lever to open up the back of the chapel

Final fight was great, glad my trusty Yhorms Machette still worked a treat throughout,

by far the hardest part for me was 

Spoiler

The drop into the building with two super fast slashy knights