IGNORED

Dark Souls 3

Bojangle

For this evenings adventures I thought I'd go back to the first area I was in.  For a game that is a bit grim in it's subject matter it is a bit of a looker.

58b9cc1e7f5de_DARKSOULSIII_20170303192217.thumb.jpg.67dcf7cb2c09b839b20462ea47d13d60.jpg

I also found this place (and here's me thinking I'd seen all the area had to offer)

58b9cc554025e_DARKSOULSIII_20170303192800.thumb.jpg.78c84ba71c2d4b16d547141281351aae.jpg

As a result I've managed to end up with 4 Estus flasks instead of 3,  found a key, spoke to a bloke who has given me a ring to give to a lady by the name of Lorreta in the Undead village I was exploring yesterday.  I'm also still to scared to take on the big dude with the huge axe (I call him Colin) :D  This game :wub:

Question.  What's the difference between a refined weapon and a raw weapon?  I can now change my Claymore to raw and the stats look as if it will deal more damage but are there any pitfalls to this. @Minion I'd like to try some co-op but I don't have a PlayStation+ account.  This game might make me go for it though although the thought of being invaded when I'm nervous enough already might push my stress levels over the edge (I don't think I've ever used L1 this much before)

Refined will get more and more powerful as you raise your strength and dexterity. Raw does not scale with any attributes but instead increases a weapons base damage.

Go with Raw for now. You can always change it later, should you so desire. 

For me this has the best designed world of all the Soulsborne games - well, it's between this and BB and I think this just pips it. 

Everyone gushes about DS1's interlinking world and it is fantastic, but I think they're just blinded by the fact it was the first. It has nothing to compare with, say, the view from Vordt boss room cliff edge, where you can see pretty much the entire world (minus the underground stuff, and the stuff that's behind you, i.e the castle and Firelink shrine areas). Then you eventually get to the top of the revolving Anor Londo stairway and you can see the same area, but from the other end of the world. It was an amazing feeling for me, looking across that massive area and thinking "wow I actually explored all of that!" You even see the entrances/exits from the underground areas (Catacombs and Irithyl Dungeon) so you can get a good idea of where they are in relation to everything else. 

Bloodborne's world is very good too but isn't quite clever enough to match that, I don't think. The whole Yarnam/ Unseen Village/ Cathedral loop is great but then it seems to "cheat" (not really cheat but you know what I mean) by teleporting you to a few areas like the Nightmares and it doesn't quite match that feeling of putting you in a whole, coherently connected geographical place, in my opinion. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I need some advice.

I'm lvl 24, Claymore +3, 5 estus flasks smiting any fool who happens upon me.

The thing is after a couple of weeks of trying how the heck do you kill that chubby Ent wannabe?

I think I know what I have to do (go for the dangly bits on his legs/stomach etc) but he just pounds me.  Is it the case that I have the tools but not the moves or am I missing something?  I'm a patient man and I wont give up so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Kos Mos said:

Ok so I need some advice.

I'm lvl 24, Claymore +3, 5 estus flasks smiting any fool who happens upon me.

The thing is after a couple of weeks of trying how the heck do you kill that chubby Ent wannabe?

I think I know what I have to do (go for the dangly bits on his legs/stomach etc) but he just pounds me.  Is it the case that I have the tools but not the moves or am I missing something?  I'm a patient man and I wont give up so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Which boss are you talking about?

Just now, Kos Mos said:

The Curse Rotted Greatwood (seriously I'm rubbish at games)

Haha not at all, yes you have to go for the sack looking things to damage him, it can be harder with the claymore you really have to time your hits. SOme of the parts you need to hit can be quite difficult to get to but stick at it and I'm sure you'll get there, be patient and concentrate on avoiding his attacks and strike when you have an opening.

If you get really stuck to the point of not being able to progress I would be happy to help

Ok then.  After checking again I'm Lvl 29 :rolleyes:

I'm going to do a few more runs of previous areas to farm some souls, lvl up (need more stamina and vit I think) and then go for it.

Expect either screen shots of my magnificent victory or a live stream of me settling down a nice cup of tea and a white flag. 

Well that went well :( 

58cc84c924c0e_DARKSOULSIII_20170318002715.thumb.jpg.68ee3b542c12e508427c3e2006741234.jpg

By the time I get here the bloke with the pizza cutter, the bombs from off screen, the rest of the crew (including those with the glowing red eyes) have given me grief.  When I get to Mr Greatwood I'm greeted with the same again (minus the bombs <_<) but with a large tree trying, and succeeding, to kill me.

Is there a way to get rid of the bombs in the run up to this boss?

12 hours ago, Kos Mos said:

Well that went well :( 

58cc84c924c0e_DARKSOULSIII_20170318002715.thumb.jpg.68ee3b542c12e508427c3e2006741234.jpg

By the time I get here the bloke with the pizza cutter, the bombs from off screen, the rest of the crew (including those with the glowing red eyes) have given me grief.  When I get to Mr Greatwood I'm greeted with the same again (minus the bombs <_<) but with a large tree trying, and succeeding, to kill me.

Is there a way to get rid of the bombs in the run up to this boss?

You mean the big arrows that come flying down? Yes you need to find the person responsible for the arrows and they may decide to help you if you're friendly. Look where they are coming from, if you need more advice let me know :)

I returned to the game over the weekend and am totally sucked in again. The quality of the enemy attack and placement as well as level design is apparent through and through it really is marvellous. 

So last night I decided to start a Pyro build as I've got 3 characters with over 300 hours between them and never once bothered with anything but melee builds. Looking forward to the boss fights later in the game. I'll try and solo them all but can imagine a few will be darstardly. 

17 minutes ago, Minion said:

I returned to the game over the weekend and am totally sucked in again. The quality of the enemy attack and placement as well as level design is apparent through and through it really is marvellous. 

So last night I decided to start a Pyro build as I've got 3 characters with over 300 hours between them and never once bothered with anything but melee builds. Looking forward to the boss fights later in the game. I'll try and solo them all but can imagine a few will be darstardly. 

Pure Pyro?  That way madness lies imo, so I hope not!   You'll always need a weapon of some kind!

Just use low-requirement fast weapons, and make use of the magic-type buffs from the blacksmith :)

Doesn't pyromancy require intelligence and faith this time round?  Make use of everything!! There are some super good spells in the game.  The Miracles are a bit meh though.

52 minutes ago, dood said:

Pure Pyro?  That way madness lies imo, so I hope not!   You'll always need a weapon of some kind!

Just use low-requirement fast weapons, and make use of the magic-type buffs from the blacksmith :)

Doesn't pyromancy require intelligence and faith this time round?  Make use of everything!! There are some super good spells in the game.  The Miracles are a bit meh though.

Yeah I checked the pyro guide from pvpskills on YouTube yesterday (he makes some really awesome videos) and I am thinking I may use a chaos Astora gs or the onyx blade from the dlc. Right now I'm still at high wall and have the deep battle axe from the mimic. I do want to try and use pyro as much as possible but yeah I will indeed need a weapon. Just trying to change my play style as I generally use the Profaned UGS which is so good and failing that in pve the onikiri but it feels very over powered so looking for more of a challenge. 

On 17/03/2017 at 23:25, Kos Mos said:

Ok then.  After checking again I'm Lvl 29 :rolleyes:

I'm going to do a few more runs of previous areas to farm some souls, lvl up (need more stamina and vit I think) and then go for it.

Expect either screen shots of my magnificent victory or a live stream of me settling down a nice cup of tea and a white flag. 

If you're using the claymore then two hand it because that way it hits straight down. Hit the belly sack until you fall into the hole and then ignore and avoid the belly until you've destroyed all the arm, leg and back sacks. Once you've done that you only need to avoid the big hand long enough to hit the belly once.

On 18/03/2017 at 23:15, Kos Mos said:

58cdbd7f85ccf_DARKSOULSIII_20170318225733.thumb.jpg.ba2faf7608247a2c6f605d6447162656.jpg

There's another bonfire so close to you!

On 18/03/2017 at 23:15, Kos Mos said:

I'm guessing the person responsible for the arrows resides here..

58cdbd6032769_DARKSOULSIII_20170318222850.thumb.jpg.94600671ea2a71aa96c68b6512a038e5.jpg

But the gentleman with the red sword in this shot would prefer I didn't go there.

58cdbd7f85ccf_DARKSOULSIII_20170318225733.thumb.jpg.ba2faf7608247a2c6f605d6447162656.jpg

*shakes fist at whoever designed this game*

Who cares what he wants?Run him through with your claymore or ignore him. Just go to the tower.

1 hour ago, Kos Mos said:

Bit harsh :huh:

How are you getting on in your quest? Did you go to the tower? Do you get to play much or only every now and again? All I can say is the first playthrough is tough and there's so much to understand and discover in the game but once you become experienced and have a better idea of what works for you the game becomes less harsh. It's still hard but you can start utilising the systems to your advantage. 

Due to real life I only tend to play at the weekend (hence the late night weekend screenshots) but I'm off work this Friday and next Monday so I've got four days straight to get stuck in.  I'm pretty much where I left it in the last screen grabs but the news that I'm near another bonfire has me itching to play (role on Thursday night/Friday morning.

Couple of quick questions.  If I've spent souls and whatnot improving a weapon is this permanent or can the weapon be 'broken down' to get them back and put them into another item?

And do the screen shots get annoying as I realise everybody else has either finished or is way further along than me and are gearing up for the new DLC?

I'm just excited by the game as I'm generally crap at games and wouldn't normally try this type (gave up on Bloodborne after the Blood Starved Beast as I couldn't get any further) as that game seemed to rely a lot more on quick reflexes where as I'm enjoying creeping about behind my shield much more.  I think I like the whole Dark Fantasy aesthetic with this as opposed to the Lovecraftian feel of Bloodborne (not that I'm saying that Bloodborne is a bad game just not for me)