IGNORED

Dark Souls 3

Bojangle

3 minutes ago, MrHendo said:

Am I right in tryin to ignore the "angels"? I pretty much haven't got anything to fight them with, other than a paltry fireball, which may not be enough.

Afaik yes. Stick to branches for cover.

Quick question.

Where do you come by new armour?  Is it just from the vendor in Firelink who is currently selling worse than I'm wearing, or is it collected/found out in the world as I'm still using what I was wearing at the start of the game despite having been able to improve weapons?

And another couple of points.  I'm not sure what's more nerve wracking, having beasts leap out at you or having them not.  I finally got round to opening up the tower behind Firelink Shrine.  I could see a shiny collectable at the bottom and could see what I needed to do to get to it.  I was all sweaty palms and nerves as I slowly made my way down, skulking behind my shield a spinning wildly around expecting the worst then...nothing.  Did net myself a useful ring though  Brilliant :)

And despite the fact I'm pretty much still at the start of the game I been playing for over forty hours.  Where did that time go :unsure:

14 minutes ago, Kos Mos said:

Quick question.

Where do you come by new armour?  Is it just from the vendor in Firelink who is currently selling worse than I'm wearing, or is it collected/found out in the world as I'm still using what I was wearing at the start of the game despite having been able to improve weapons?

And another couple of points.  I'm not sure what's more nerve wracking, having beasts leap out at you or having them not.  I finally got round to opening up the tower behind Firelink Shrine.  I could see a shiny collectable at the bottom and could see what I needed to do to get to it.  I was all sweaty palms and nerves as I slowly made my way down, skulking behind my shield a spinning wildly around expecting the worst then...nothing.  Did net myself a useful ring though  Brilliant :)

And despite the fact I'm pretty much still at the start of the game I been playing for over forty hours.  Where did that time go :unsure:

armor can be found in the world, and also bought after finding certain other items from that same old lady. Just make sure you have a piece of armor on every body part, as the penalty for no armor is massive against even the worst armor!

though...if you started as  a knight you can easily finish the game with your starting gear and just upgrade the sword! lol

31 minutes ago, Kos Mos said:

Ha, yeah that's what happens on the first Souls game! 

I remember taking about 60 hours to reach Anor Londo in the first Dark Souls, something I could probably do in under an hour these days! 

:)

Savour it man! 

Pro tip: get close and smack that ass. That boss is magic based and loves spells.

edit: regarding armor, I believe the most useful stuff is found in the world. Vendors like the woman in the shrine sells armor, but from memory that stuff is rather specialized i.e it favors certain builds. Just wear what looks good, you're playing Fashion Souls.

Am i being thick here? I can't download the dlc. I have the season pass, so shouldn't it automatically download? Well, it hasn't. And when i go to the purchase additional content option on the title screen, the ringed city isn't even there, only ashes of ariandel.

Edit: never mind, found it. I had to get it via the PS store, rather than the in-game menu. In answer to my original question, yes, i was being thick.

20 minutes ago, dug said:

Am i being thick here? I can't download the dlc. I have the season pass, so shouldn't it automatically download? Well, it hasn't. And when i go to the purchase additional content option on the title screen, the ringed city isn't even there, only ashes of ariandel.

Edit: never mind, found it. I had to get it via the PS store, rather than the in-game menu. In answer to my original question, yes, i was being thick.

I had to do it the other way around, DS trolling before you even play...

1 hour ago, df0 said:

edit: regarding armor, I believe the most useful stuff is found in the world. Vendors like the woman in the shrine sells armor, but from memory that stuff is rather specialized i.e it favors certain builds. Just wear what looks good, you're playing Fashion Souls.

The handmaid sells boss armour once you beat  the bosses though! 

I didn't have a good time with this last night when I got to the 2nd bonfire and due to a certain enemy type. I'll put it down to missing something obvious but it's not what I was expecting at all.

I had a quick go on this last night - only up to the second bonfire on the new area. I'm not massively feeling the style of the DLC - it reminds me of the Hunter's Nightmare from the Bloodborne DLC, which I wasn't that keen on either. I prefer the ancient, empty edifices like the High Wall, Anor London or the Sunken King's palace, rather than the messy, chaotic setup here. I'm kind of glad this is the end of Dark Souls to be honest - or rather, I hope it is, it's starting to get a bit tired.

What's the best weapon to use with a quality build? I'm currently using the black knight sword, and really like it, but I don't think I can use the refined gem with it and wanted to try something different. What's the best weapon for high dex/str scaling that hits really hard?

@K  I'm a bit out of touch with updates, but generally all the straight swords are fantastic quality weapons, but not sure if you're after something bigger (oh matron!).

The Dark Sword was pretty unstoppable back in the day.  I liked the Sunlight Straight sword though. 

..and squinting at this sheet, if you want a big bastard weapon, looks like Greatsword, Exile Greatsword and Astora Greatsword could be great options too. 

2 hours ago, K said:

What's the best weapon to use with a quality build? I'm currently using the black knight sword, and really like it, but I don't think I can use the refined gem with it and wanted to try something different. What's the best weapon for high dex/str scaling that hits really hard?

I'm using the Exile curved sword (Heavy infused in my case but sharp should scale too) its a proper beast.

Edit: First boss of Rings down \o/ 

Spoiler

Fire protection and staying close ftw

First area spoiler chat

Spoiler

I don't know if you have twigged but the Boss arena is the Firelink shrine from Dark Souls 1.
You start in Dark Souls 3 (Lothric / High Wall) then drop into Dark Souls 2 (Earthen Peak / Harvest Valley) and finally end up in Dark Souls 1 (Great Hollow / Firelink Shrine) at the end.
I liked it a lot.

In no rush to finish this, trying to uncover everything and take it all in, I'll have to play Bloodborne when I finish this and I really don't like that horrible depressing game ;p

@hombre_hompson If you mean the 'defense systems' of the area (being vague for spoiler sensitives) yes you are most definately missing a trick.
Don't open this spoiler if you want to work things out.

Spoiler

There are 'controller' creatures hidden around, which are quite difficult to find, if you kill those then the angels no longer spawn when you retry the area

3 hours ago, K said:

I had a quick go on this last night - only up to the second bonfire on the new area. I'm not massively feeling the style of the DLC - it reminds me of the Hunter's Nightmare from the Bloodborne DLC, which I wasn't that keen on either. I prefer the ancient, empty edifices like the High Wall, Anor London or the Sunken King's palace, rather than the messy, chaotic setup here. I'm kind of glad this is the end of Dark Souls to be honest - or rather, I hope it is, it's starting to get a bit tired.

Firstly I personally think the DLC is great, I'm in the second area now and it's fantastic and definitely not tired in my opinon of course. As to your weapon question if you have a quality build then the claymore is very similar to your black knight sword but can be buffed for extra damage and due to the recent patch a sharp gem applied to it gives the best returns.

Looks like I did the area from the 2nd bonfire the hard way. Never knew about the above hint and literally worked my way through the area while being constantly blasted!

Took quite a while and many deaths!

One issue with DS is you know it's supposed to be hard so you make it harder for yourself by assuming that what you're doing is just the way it is.

Following on from that I nearly did the boss first try.

It seems DS can actually read your mind...Because as soon as I thought to myself "I'm gonna do this first shot" the boss turned around and said "no you're fcuking not, m8" SMACK, dead.

Can someone spoiler the creatures that nullify the "defense system"? I've had no luck from the 2nd bonfire on and haven't seen anything that looks like it would stop the constant threat.

I tried bringing people in but as soon as a summon sign appeared, someone else had grabbed them. So I put mine down to see if someone else had a clue. 

Cue 15 minutes of two blatantly clueless morons wandering around in circles.

24 minutes ago, MrHendo said:

Can someone spoiler the creatures that nullify the "defense system"? I've had no luck from the 2nd bonfire on and haven't seen anything that looks like it would stop the constant threat.

I tried bringing people in but as soon as a summon sign appeared, someone else had grabbed them. So I put mine down to see if someone else had a clue. 

Cue 15 minutes of two blatantly clueless morons wandering around in circles.

Ok if you really want the spoiler here it is

The first angel's controller is right below the house far far right, so if you go into the house from the bonfire that takes you to the swamp, but rather than continuing if you look back out the way you came you'll see another house on the right, sitting on the edge of a cliff. You can drop down round the back of the house and land on a branch ready to kill the controller, you will need the cat ring though, I discovered this by chance by falling down when investigating the area.

As for the second angel controller in the swamp you need to go into the cave area to take shelter, fight the Harald, then make a run for the branch that takes you up, if you keep on following branches up you'll eventually meet an enemy pyromancer, kill her and then the controller is on the roof of the houses, you should find a spot where you can jump onto the roofs, go along and you will find it.

This boss is nonsense. I'm really not feeling this at all so far. I can't say I loved the last DLC either, so maybe I've just had enough of Souls.

EDIT: and next try. Shit boss IMO.

Well this fucking sucks; i can't access the dlc area. From the alfrieda bonfire, i just get a never ending loading screen. I've tried quitting out and going back in but that doesn't work. Looking into it, other people have had the problem, and it seems the way to solve it is to uninstall the whole game, then re-download the latest patch and both dlcs. Which on my connection will take fucking hours.

I was looking forward to getting stuck into this tonight, but it looks like that's fucked.