IGNORED

Dark Souls 3

Bojangle

Those Abyss Watchers are tricky aren't they.  Tried about 9 or 10 times this afternoon and I can't get a handle on the fight at all yet (mind you it did take me about a fortnight to kill a tree)

I will get them eventually though.

Weapons update:

I'm now rocking the Exile Greatsword which is +10 and has a heavy gem in it. S rank on strength and is doing more or less the same damage as my old slow weapon.

I've changed shield too from the Curse Ward Greatshield to the Dragonslayer Greatshield which is +2. Need some more materials and I can upgrade it further. Can't infuse it with anything though.

So, cheers for the help, @Minion!

Edit:

I'm also now a strength build that can also cast a medium strength healing spell. So that's pretty cool.

Wow, this DLC isn't messing around.

I'm only running a level 92 Thief with default equipment (yes, I'm running around using the +10 dagger - love it!) but still, I haven't felt danger like this in a long time!

I just lost 150,000 souls, legitimately, through wandering too deep into the snake pit. Was gutted to have lost them but at the same time loved the fact that this is the first time in a long time (like pre DS3) I've found myself in a real dire situation.

Loved it! :)

Managed to get past that section and just have just ran into a certain something sitting up on the rocks. ;)

17 minutes ago, BedroomBusinessman said:

Just re- bought this for the DLC. What level are people doing Ashes of Arienandel and the Ringed City? My only character is NG+2 at around level 160... 

At NG+2 a couple of the bosses in TRC will be tough mainly because they have such huge health/resistance stats and hit very hard, it's doable though! AoA will be fine though tough in places like it should be, again the final fight might be tough. You could always start a new character, happy to coop through areas with you if required :)

9 minutes ago, Minion said:

At NG+2 a couple of the bosses in TRC will be tough mainly because they have such huge health/resistance stats and hit very hard, it's doable though! AoA will be fine though tough in places like it should be, again the final fight might be tough. You could always start a new character, happy to coop through areas with you if required :)

Thanks, I assumed as much. My old character is high Dex with a uchigitana. What's the current meta look like for characters? Is Dex based still viable?

Just now, BedroomBusinessman said:

Thanks, I assumed as much. My old character is high Dex with a uchigitana. What's the current meta look like for characters? Is Dex based still viable?

Yeah dex is viable, the new weapons in TRC cover most bases with a sweet new katana for dex user (though you need to kill a certain boss for that), if you're going to be up against invaders/pvp'rs expect them to be using the new weapons as they're all great. Where Quality ruled everything before the recent patch improved heavy and sharp infusions so dex builds can take advantage of this with sharp gems, here's a link to a spreadsheet which shows what weapons are gaining what from the recent patch:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SQ4MZANAqrfBnSjWeXUxCzv8DX8UewA3QeG6QPcx6X4/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true#

To be honest everything seems better now, the 1.11 patch was great. Stick a sharp gem on that Uchi and get the blood flowing :)

14 minutes ago, Minion said:

Yeah dex is viable, the new weapons in TRC cover most bases with a sweet new katana for dex user (though you need to kill a certain boss for that), if you're going to be up against invaders/pvp'rs expect them to be using the new weapons as they're all great. Where Quality ruled everything before the recent patch improved heavy and sharp infusions so dex builds can take advantage of this with sharp gems, here's a link to a spreadsheet which shows what weapons are gaining what from the recent patch:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SQ4MZANAqrfBnSjWeXUxCzv8DX8UewA3QeG6QPcx6X4/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true#

To be honest everything seems better now, the 1.11 patch was great. Stick a sharp gem on that Uchi and get the blood flowing :)

This is great, thanks!

The is also a weapon not far into AoA (which I haven't completed myself but am running through a new dex/pyro) called the Crow Quills which is badass as fuck for dex mans/womans. 

PS just got back from pub. On a Monday! Sheesh. Anyway OF COURSE its time for a swift hour of adventures before bed. 

Heading to Smoldering Lake for some large shards, baby. 

Just beaten what I assume is the final boss 

Spoiler

Slave Knight Gael

which was a dramatic if not overly difficult fight and one which I quite enjoyed as it is exactly the sort of fight that suits my character build. Arguably, it is a slightly disappointing end to the series as it would have been nice to have been totally daunted by a significant challenge but hey ho.

I will now start at the first bonfire of the DLC and work through again to see if there have been any world changes and also to chase up a few things I missed first time round. I also need to go back to the dragon (after running away following my initial encounter) but as those dragon fights have been a slog in previous games I may not have the patience...

It's a much better DLC than Ashes but still not a patch on the DLC for the first two games in the series. I am hoping this is because From are distracted by being hard at work on another game (please be Bloodborne 2, please be Bloodborne 2!) that they will surprise us with at E3.

Just done the first boss of the  new DLC. Co-op with two NPCs. Had no trouble with the first bit but the second was a killer. I ended up standing a bit away and whacking arrows in to it! 

I'm using a longsword+10, Had it with me from the start pretty much but now it feels like I need a change. Much prefer it over the great swords - I like the faster moveset over strength.

Liking this DLC more than Ariandel.

One question - just after the second bonfire you do a drop bit, if you spin the camera as you fall you can see a note on another floor underneath. How do you get to that?

On 04/04/2017 at 14:04, Goose said:

Just done the first boss of the  new DLC. Co-op with two NPCs. Had no trouble with the first bit but the second was a killer. I ended up standing a bit away and whacking arrows in to it! 

I'm using a longsword+10, Had it with me from the start pretty much but now it feels like I need a change. Much prefer it over the great swords - I like the faster moveset over strength.

Liking this DLC more than Ariandel.

One question - just after the second bonfire you do a drop bit, if you spin the camera as you fall you can see a note on another floor underneath. How do you get to that?

I've not found any of the bosses in the DLC,  aside from the optional one which I have only had a brief look at, to be as challenging as, say, the final boss in the Ariendel DLC. It may be that they all suit my style I guess - I am playing as a STR-DEX melee character using the Refined +10 longsword which, as you say, has a very pleasing balance between speed and impact. As I rarely use a shield I favour bosses that I can roll through/behind and the DLC has ticked that box.

I can't picture that note location off the top of my head. Did you defeat the last Angel controller? IIRC though there are levels accessible from

Spoiler

the top, eyond the first Harald Knight, after following the tree branch around via the pyromancer NPC, and then after following the tree root around beyond the Angel controller that sits in the cave below the tree roots. 

I guess you are seeing notes at one of those levels..

Personally, I'm finding the final boss of this dlc waaaaaaay harder than, well, any other boss in the whole game, actually. 

Spoiler

Makes Orphan of Kos look like fucking Pinwheel! OK, that's an exaggeration, but i am really struggling with the second phase. I must have had 30 or 40 attempts by now, and I've reached the third phase twice.

On the plus side, since I've done it so many times, I'm pretty good at the first phase now. On three or four attempts, I've even done it without being hit. 

The second phase though, fucking hell. I just can't get the timing right to roll through his attacks. If I dodge the sword, the firey swirl gets me, and if i try to dodge late to avoid the swirl, i risk being hit by the sword. And if i get hit by the sword, I'm fucked; it staggers me then the next hit kills me.

And i never seem to be able to get a clean hit in. Every time I hit him, he hits me. Just can't find the correct openings. I'm sure I'll get there, but it's so frustrating when you play a perfect first phase, take no hits, then in the second phase mistime your first dodge roll and die.

Haven't even tried the dragon yet.

Yeah I'm surprised Mike had such an easy time with the last boss, he's pretty damn crazy though he does remind me of a bloodborne boss and no where near as erratic as OoK. Whats really special about it is if you play as a phantom, a lot of his moves he can target different people during different phases of the same attack pattern, it's really beautiful, a wonderful boss.

Reminds me of Maria in the second phase with the follow up magic attacks

Patch notes from reddit, not sure I agree with the nerf to the Spear of the Church fight:

SURPRISE BALANCING PATCH!

As usual, first the technical stuff. It's a regulation update, so it's mostly server-side. It will be deployed at the following time on April 5th:

TimezoneConsolesSTEAM

JST11:00am6:00pm

CEST4:00am11:00am

PST7:00pm2:00am

The patch will include the following changes:

Reduced damage of the light arrows fired by "Angels"

The sorcery "Hidden Body" is now effective against "Angels"

Reduced the damage of homing spears released from "Spear of the Church"

Reduced the amount of bonus absorption the "Spear of the Church" receives during 1vs2, 1vs3 and 1vs4 games (1vs1 is unaffected)

Reduced the amount of HP "Church Guardian" has during a 1vs1 match (1vs2, 1vs3 and 1vs4 are unaffected)

Increased damage and scaling of simple, crystal, fire, chaos, lightning, dark, deep and blessed infusions

Increased damage of raw infusions

Reduced damage and scaling of heavy infusions at lower weapon levels

Increased scaling of sharp infusions, and increased damage gain at high levels of dexterity

Reduced scaling of heavy infusions on lighter weapons

Reduced damage of "Exile Greatsword"

Reduced damage for L1(LB) attacks, and increased stamina consumption for L1(LB) attacks and weapon art "Ember" of "Ringed Knight Paired Greatswords"

Fixed a bug where the weapon art "Wind Wheel" of "Splitleaf Greatsword" was applying more status effects than intended

Fixed a bug where fully charged R2(RT) attacks of "Profaned Greatsword" and "Black Knight Greatsword" were not consuming additional stamina

Fixed a bug where the weapon art of "Preacher's Right Arm" would combo for more hits than intended

Fixed a bug where the weapon art of "Painting Guardian's Curved Sword" would combo for more hits than intended

Increased damage of Toxic dealt by players, but reduced the penalty to stamina regeneration

Quick analysis:

A bit of balancing on the angels, frustrating for a lot of players, a bit of balancing on Spears of the Church as well. A lot of balancing on infusions, and a quick nerf the meta weapons, especially RKPGS which is becoming problematic. Please note it's still a tentative balance, done through a regulation update so we didn't have the same liberty as with a full patch, we'll see how it evolves.

The infamous combo on the Painting Guardian Curved Sword should also be fixed in the update.

Enjoy!

6 hours ago, Mike S said:

I've not found any of the bosses in the DLC,  aside the optional one which I have only had a brief looke, to be as challenging as, say, the final boss in the Ariendel DLC. It may be that they all suit my style I guess - I am playing as a STR-DEX melee character using the Refined +10 longsword which, as you say, has a very pleasing balance between speed and impact. As I rarely use a shield I favour bosses that I can roll through/behind and the DLC has ticked that box.

I can't picture that note location off the top of my head. Did you defeat the last Angel controller? IIRC though there are levels accessible from

Reveal hidden contents

the top, eyond the first Harald Knight, after following the tree branch around via the pyromancer NPC, and then after following the tree root around beyond the Angel controller that sits in the cave below the tree roots. 

I guess you are seeing notes at one of those levels..

I'm not really a very good player so struggle with most of the bosses, to be honest. I do get there in the end though (most of the time).

The bit I'm talking about, it's before the drop down to the 2nd angel but after the room the church in which you fight the two knights. I'll try and get a picture of it tonight. You can't see it at all before you take the plunge, but as you're falling, you can see there's level or piece of floor underneath, and it has a message on it.

Here it is - it's just after you drop down and face one of those large guys. In the video he notices it and tries to drop the prism stones to see if there is a ledge. When he drops down, as he falls he turns the camera and you can see the room with a message and an object - and at this point he was playing offline so it has to be a developer message.

Spoiler

Capture.PNG.f480cd19b7e01c87ce17fef1302a48c9.PNG

The shot above is as he is falling. In the shot below - If you see the three pilgrims to the left, the room would be directly below them - and to see it, you drop down by that orange message. There's actually a little ledge piece that juts out, that's obviously there so you can see that something is below you.

5.PNG.5159ea0c830abeb19dabbcef3380a3b5.PNG

Update! Man I have smashed it this evening.. 

I probably have some clips worth sharing, but haven't been arsed to trim etc yet. 

Done quite a bit! After gathering a bunch of large shards in the Lake (and grabbing the Black Blade) , I took on Wolnir. Destroyed the fucker. (had a few goes at the Lake boss but he stomped me a good few times! I'll be back..) 

Detoured to take out the Deacons next, ended up helping dozens of folk with three fight. My chaos  Pyro pillars were impressing Hosts, I reckon! If I timed it right and got lucky with the RNG I'd decimate the main entourage :D mega satisfying. 

Cleared up to first bonfire in Irithyll, collecting more shards. I needed a few more so went to farm them in Ariandel, at the bonfire with the Crow Knight that drops down. He only dropped me a couple of chunks and sharpening stones! :wub:

Feeling emboldened, I thought about sequence breaking, and facing dancer.  Instead of fighting her in my world I spent a good while helping people bear her. Clocked up about 200k souls before I stopped! :blush:

Beat her first time in my own world, too ^_^ by that point I'd settled on a mean combo of carthus beacon & pontiff right eye & human resin, made my sellsword twin blades L1 spam pretty amazing, tbh! 

I'm finding it hard to dig the black blade. Mainly because I thought I'd try the Astora Greatsword for giggles since I had spare materials and could make it sharp..! Holy FUCK it's amazingly good for trashing certain enemies! The charge + extension with R2 just ruins shit. 

Anyway, I felt like I could probably take, Oceiros, but instead I just suicide ran it for the chunks in the areas after Dancer, because  POWER IS EVERYTHING. 

Am now rocking twin blades +9, Astora GS +8, Quill +7, black blade +6. All sharp :wub: Pyro glove +6. Going to try get to Untended Graves next to blag a (crow traded) slab, then take myself through the rest of the game before tackling the DLC. 

This fucking game! 

Here's  me!  Complete shadow set looked a bit crap, I like how I'm looking right now though

FB_IMG_1491340606603.thumb.jpg.55df39a2e91f0495765c5cda5cf7293a.jpg

Feels good, though the ~18 hours snuck up on me a bit! :D

1 hour ago, Goose said:

Here it is - it's just after you drop down and face one of those large guys. In the video he notices it and tries to drop the prism stones to see if there is a ledge. When he drops down, as he falls he turns the camera and you can see the room with a message and an object - and at this point he was playing offline so it has to be a developer message.

Hide contents

Capture.PNG.f480cd19b7e01c87ce17fef1302a48c9.PNG

The shot above is as he is falling. In the shot below - If you see the three pilgrims to the left, the room would be directly below them - and to see it, you drop down by that orange message. There's actually a little ledge piece that juts out, that's obviously there so you can see that something is below you.

5.PNG.5159ea0c830abeb19dabbcef3380a3b5.PNG

Aah, right, sorry I was thinking you were talking about somewhere else but I know where this is. To get to there:

Spoiler

At the start of the DLC, you know where you drop down to the big Harald Legion Knight? And then on to the second bonfire? Instead of dropping on the Harald with the plunge attakc, you need to drop to the other side of the wall that you drop on him from. So, as you come past where you encounter the NPC knight sitting near the little lamp you go to the right instead of to the left. There will be a knight with a spear and a few of the crawling zombie lads, beat them and then head right. Drop off the edge, encounter a couple of knights and follow the path round to where you see that scene you show in the first image..

8 hours ago, dug said:

Personally, I'm finding the final boss of this dlc waaaaaaay harder than, well, any other boss in the whole game, actually. 

Hide contents

Makes Orphan of Kos look like fucking Pinwheel! OK, that's an exaggeration, but i am really struggling with the second phase. I must have had 30 or 40 attempts by now, and I've reached the third phase twice.

On the plus side, since I've done it so many times, I'm pretty good at the first phase now. On three or four attempts, I've even done it without being hit. 

The second phase though, fucking hell. I just can't get the timing right to roll through his attacks. If I dodge the sword, the firey swirl gets me, and if i try to dodge late to avoid the swirl, i risk being hit by the sword. And if i get hit by the sword, I'm fucked; it staggers me then the next hit kills me.

And i never seem to be able to get a clean hit in. Every time I hit him, he hits me. Just can't find the correct openings. I'm sure I'll get there, but it's so frustrating when you play a perfect first phase, take no hits, then in the second phase mistime your first dodge roll and die.

Haven't even tried the dragon yet.

I just typed a long reply detailing my strategy for this guy but managed to delete it. 

A briefer summary of how I defeated him (I play a STR-DEX focussed build, didn't use a shield, and relied on my trusty and deadly Refined +10 Longsword):

Spoiler

I managed all phases in more or less the same way.

Just keep mobile at all times, taking advantage of the invincibility window to roll through the last phase of each of his attacks to get a hit or two in before dashing away again (the Green Blossom really helps in keeping the stamina up long enough to remain mobile at all times). In the first phase I tended to keep my distance and try to bait the lunging attack as that has a decent cool down period, but in the second (and third) phases I found it better to stay closer before dashing in, especially when he unleashed ranged or magical attacks as that leaves him exposed.

The flaming cloak attack adds some inconvenience in the second phase as the timing is now out for all the moves from the first phase but I was usually able to roll through it and happy to then absorb a little damage whilst getting a few good hits on him. Alternatively, stay at mid range and bait the magic disks and bolt attacks as they allow you to dash in, rolling through the magic/bolts, and get some easy hits in.  I can't remember if the teleport attack starts in the second phase but, either way, running a good way from him to provoke that can be effective as he usually teleports right beside the player. As soon as he starts to materialise just roll away (as he will begin an attack almost immediately) and then roll in for another good couple of hits.

The third phase appears very chaotic but, really, most of the magic and lightning are background noise and drama and can be more or less ignored so long as you don't stop moving and I use pretty much the same strategy as the second phase. The only magic attack that I consciously avoided was the AOE but he telegraphs that with a crouch move which even allows time to get a few hits in before backing off.

One of the hardest challenges for me was getting a handle on the difference between the high speed of his movement and the slower delivery of his attacks but once I'd taken on board the disorientation that caused it made a lot more sense and I found a lot more room to move and to breathe. He is similar to Kos in that (especially in the second and third phase when the flaming cloak is tagged on to the sword strikes) there is often an extra attack, albeit without that delay that Kos had, and which seem hard to predict. 

8 hours ago, Minion said:

Yeah I'm surprised Mike had such an easy time with the last boss, he's pretty damn crazy though he does remind me of a bloodborne boss and no where near as erratic as OoK. Whats really special about it is if you play as a phantom, a lot of his moves he can target different people during different phases of the same attack pattern, it's really beautiful, a wonderful boss.

Reveal hidden contents

Reminds me of Maria in the second phase with the follow up magic attacks

I wouldn't say he was easy per se, just nowhere near the challenge of some of the series (and Bloodborne's) super tough bosses. :)

He's  a great looking boss, with some wild moves and a lot of drama, and is definitely a very enjoyable fight but, unlike the real tough nuts, the way to defeat him was always clear to me and always seemed achievable. It just needed concentration and patience as, certainly, most of my deaths were due to the usual DS/BB sucker deaths resulting from greed and succumbing to the temptation of trying for that one extra hit instead of playing safe and giving him space. I also had the benefit of knowing that he doesn't have any of the moves that could one or two shot me which gave me a margin of error and comfort that some bosses don't allow..

I think your Bloodborne comparison is apt and that may be why I found this fella less intimidating than I had hoped the final boss of the series should be. I played BB before any of the DS games and so took the bloodborne aggressive, rolling, dodging, no shield, approach to these games. For this boss, especially, that style seems suited and effective as he is so fast and mobile.

4 hours ago, Mike S said:

Aah, right, sorry I was thinking you were talking about somewhere else but I know where this is. To get to there:

Reveal hidden contents

At the start of the DLC, you know where you drop down to the big Harald Legion Knight? And then on to the second bonfire? Instead of dropping on the Harald with the plunge attakc, you need to drop to the other side of the wall that you drop on him from. So, as you come past where you encounter the NPC knight sitting near the little lamp you go to the right instead of to the left. There will be a knight with a spear and a few of the crawling zombie lads, beat them and then head right. Drop off the edge, encounter a couple of knights and follow the path round to where you see that scene you show in the first image..

Many thanks for that - will give it a go tonight. 

6 hours ago, Mike S said:

I just typed a long reply detailing my strategy for this guy but managed to delete it. 

A briefer summary of how I defeated him (I play a STR-DEX focussed build, didn't use a shield, and relied on my trusty and deadly Refined +10 Longsword):

Hide contents

I managed all phases in more or less the same way.

Just keep mobile at all times, taking advantage of the invincibility window to roll through the last phase of each of his attacks to get a hit or two in before dashing away again (the Green Blossom really helps in keeping the stamina up long enough to remain mobile at all times). In the first phase I tended to keep my distance and try to bait the lunging attack as that has a decent cool down period, but in the second (and third) phases I found it better to stay closer before dashing in, especially when he unleashed ranged or magical attacks as that leaves him exposed.

The flaming cloak attack adds some inconvenience in the second phase as the timing is now out for all the moves from the first phase but I was usually able to roll through it and happy to then absorb a little damage whilst getting a few good hits on him. Alternatively, stay at mid range and bait the magic disks and bolt attacks as they allow you to dash in, rolling through the magic/bolts, and get some easy hits in.  I can't remember if the teleport attack starts in the second phase but, either way, running a good way from him to provoke that can be effective as he usually teleports right beside the player. As soon as he starts to materialise just roll away (as he will begin an attack almost immediately) and then roll in for another good couple of hits.

The third phase appears very chaotic but, really, most of the magic and lightning are background noise and drama and can be more or less ignored so long as you don't stop moving and I use pretty much the same strategy as the second phase. The only magic attack that I consciously avoided was the AOE but he telegraphs that with a crouch move which even allows time to get a few hits in before backing off.

One of the hardest challenges for me was getting a handle on the difference between the high speed of his movement and the slower delivery of his attacks but once I'd taken on board the disorientation that caused it made a lot more sense and I found a lot more room to move and to breathe. He is similar to Kos in that (especially in the second and third phase when the flaming cloak is tagged on to the sword strikes) there is often an extra attack, albeit without that delay that Kos had, and which seem hard to predict. 

Thanks man, but i did it last night! Always the way isn't it? You complain on here that a boss is too hard, then you beat it. It's strange, i swear i wasn't doing anything differently, but i had a run where my dodges were working. I managed to keep rolling behind him and avoid his attacks whereas before, i kept getting tagged. I actually found his final phase easier because his attacks become more obviously telegraphed.

Anyway, onto Midir now. I had a few exploratory goes, and i think this may take a while!

55 minutes ago, Kos Mos said:

Just found out that I don't have to come to work tomorrow or Friday (unused annual leave :D)

That gives me four days to kill the Watchers.

Heh.  The hardest part, imo, is the first bit!!  You want to try and make sure you do enough damage to the main one to trigger two comrades to rise, the second one will help more than you may think.   If you're stuck with just two, concentrate on the one with the health bar that floats above his head, you'll be able ot finish him fairly quickly.  Don't want to say too much, part of the fun is figuring it out!

Also - you beat the sage, right?  I don't recall seeing updates/screens from you on the area after that.. you may want to revisit that boss room and look around :) exploration can be a welcome break from boss fight frustration!

20 minutes ago, dood said:

Also - you beat the sage, right?  I don't recall seeing updates/screens from you on the area after that.. you may want to revisit that boss room and look around :) exploration can be a welcome break from boss fight frustration!

Yeah I killed the Sage (screen shot a couple of pages back) and in my excitement I ran off with a 'WooHoo new areas'

I'll certainly go back now though.  To be fair with my level of gaming prowess I'm amazed I've made it this far.

Some good progress (aka running very fast). That first part of the ringed city was more puzzle than anything else. Now I'm in

Spoiler

A part that reminds me of the undead burg with that huge staircase. I've also got an odd swamp to deal with too, that has almost every sort of nasty. I tried running up that path with the dragon but that didn't work. I did find a bonfire after randomly running about but haven't yet opened the shortcut to that second bonfire in the ringed city. Bit annoyed that I missed talking a person behind s door, about Gwyn. Got stabled and had to dash.

What a game!