rllmuk
Bojangle

Dark Souls 3

I'm currently replaying this - just killed the fire demon with Siegward - and had forgotten how much of a thoroughly good videogame it is. The environments are just fantastic. I had intended to play a high int sorcerer build but I've gone for a dual-wielding/archer high dex type instead and, following Sekiro, am playing as aggressively as I can. Great fun! Took down Gundyr and Vordt on my first attempt.

• Upvote 1

I recently began a new game on this, having done everything in the main game barring Nameless King on release. I intended to go back and do him when the DLC came out but felt rusty by the time it was all out so I ended up doing Ariendel up to the boss and basically nothing of The Ringed City. Since I've solo'd everything else in Souls and Bloodborne at least once it needed to be done!

My default in Souls was always just two-handing the biggest sword I could get but going through them all again recently I've been messing around with other things and here it was a pyromancy build. Some of the spells were quite an eye-opener, like I had no idea rapport worked the way it does on so many enemies! I used it for a laugh a few times then had to stop because it just felt wrong. Fun, but wrong. Maybe I'll abuse some of the dafter stuff on a future run one day. Mostly I ended up using the Onyx Blade, Witch's Locks, Pyromancer's Parting Flame and, towards the end, Demon's Scar.

Nameless King actually only took a few tries this time around, being able to lob a dark fireball at the dragon really helped as a lot of the issues I initially had with that were with the camera in the first phase before you could even get to the point of trying to learn the second. I very much enjoyed wearing his lovely hair for the rest of the game.

As well as being out of practice when it came out, I think the nature of the Ariendel boss definitely contributed to my losing the motivation to mop everything up the first time around. Cinematically it's incredibly cool but I'm not a massive fan of the health bar creep that From have increasingly lapsed into. Slogging through two phases you can do with your eyes closed only to get absolutely destroyed by a boss who's playing Bloodborne while you're playing Souls isn't brilliant design to me. It's one of the few times where you feel like they're actively trolling you too since you get an item drop after that second phase just to make you think you're all done. I think the third phase is hard enough that it would've been fine separated from the first two.

The Ringed City doesn't fuck about, eh? Those angels at the start.. The fat harald lads on the staircase of doom.. I think it's the first area in these games I haven't methodically cleared of every enemy I can find. Maybe it didn't help that pyro is apparently quite a bad build for this DLC but a lot of it felt like it was designed more for YOLO to me. That lightning knight fucker in the swamp was rough but at least you can fight him one on one easily enough.

Demon Prince was a great fight. Bit of a random element to the first bit but it's nice in that you tend to know very quickly after getting down there whether you'll get to the Prince without burning through too much estus. Great difficulty curve on it: each phase feels impossible when you first get to it then there's a steady progession from there as you get closer and closer.

Midir was an interesting one as I seemed to have about the worst possible build for it - my best weapons were doing like 50 damage per hit to an apparent health pool of 16000 :lol: . Made something (marginally) better but mostly had the pestilent mist strategy to thank for beating him, I definitely wouldn't have thought of that on my own since that's one of those spells you just immediately write off after reading the description. At least I hit him in the face a few times in the process.

Gael I got to the last phase first time but he took me a good few tries after that, mainly due to his relentlessness when he gets to that point. Really hard to time your chugs. Most of my weapons were a bit crap again so I ended up just two-handing the demon's scar. Super cool boss as far as the lore and arena go.

After all the muscle gains made from the DLC I ended up comfortably doing Soul of Cinder first time, I'm sure I found that on the tougher side first time around!

Such a great game and the sheer amount of cool looking weapons makes it really tempting to just start again. Time for a break from Souls though.

• Upvote 3

After clearing all of the main game's bosses apart from The Nameless King, I flailed at him repeatedly and then gave up. I'm not sure I could go back and start from scratch, although I've now done that three times with the first game (got to Seath the first time with a melee-ish character, did the game + DLC with a dex/pyro build before getting owned by O&S on NG+ and currently just the final boss to go on my holy knight build, but wait we were talking about DS3).

I should really finish this game at some point, and then decide if I want to go through it another couple of times to mop up all the achievements or not. 

Despite my gushing post above, I didn't end up replaying the entire game again as I couldn't be done with spending hours inching through each of the levels. I went straight onto The Ringed City instead and am glad I did as it really is fantastic. Hard as nails but with some brilliantly imaginative locations and excellent, thrilling boss fights. Of all three games, I think it's my favourite of the DLC. It's a real shame that by the time it came out people had seemingly moved on to other things and it went unplayed by many.

I'm getting wiped by Lorian with his cheesing teleporting and never ending combo's, never mind getting to the 2nd phase of this boss battle :angry::angry: 

To be honest, Ive found the bosses really difficult since Yhorm The Giant, which I consider where the game became weak because without googling I would never have known about using and how to use the Storm Ruler.

Because I've come to the game so late on, I assume the options of having a online jolly co-op are now a lot smaller, and again looking at Lorian the way to get some NPC support seems to be too far gone without specifically knowing what to do in advance. I've never seen Sirris for example.

Tempted to give up at this point now....

42 minutes ago, Tonald Drump said:

I'm getting wiped by Lorian with his cheesing teleporting and never ending combo's, never mind getting to the 2nd phase of this boss battle :angry::angry: 

To be honest, Ive found the bosses really difficult since Yhorm The Giant, which I consider where the game became weak because without googling I would never have known about using and how to use the Storm Ruler.

Because I've come to the game so late on, I assume the options of having a online jolly co-op are now a lot smaller, and again looking at Lorian the way to get some NPC support seems to be too far gone without specifically knowing what to do in advance. I've never seen Sirris for example.

Tempted to give up at this point now....

Nooooooooooooo! Don't give up skeleton! The Twin Princes is possibly my favourite fight in the game, the tactic is to learn Lorian's moves and how to avoid them, like all the bosses he has a very specific moveset and it's just a case of learning it. I know the teleporting can seem unfair and annoying but it doesn't actually change how to avoid his moves you just need to react quicker, generally when he teleports he slashes or swipes down vertically and it's almost always behind you.

Some tips, never ever get greedy with Lorian, even with a fast sword you can only get two hits at most before he will hit you hard, so two hits and then avoid the next attack, try and stay to the right and behind him, he will turn fast with an attack so two hits and then roll, he is weak to lightning so use buffs if you have them. A good tactic is to use a high fire resistant shield and tank his attacks with the shield, the blue one with the dragon insignia is the best, level it up to +4 and it should help though he can be beaten without a shield, I even beat them at SL1 so it's not impossible!

I always found the Grand Archives to be the best area to be summoned so I'm not sure where you are looking for signs but look at The Grand Archives Bonfire. Also what build do you have? If you get really stuck I could jump on at some point.

• Upvote 3

My gaming moment of the year came from replaying this recently. I'd absolutely hated the latter bosses of DS3 from the Dancer onwards with my dex build back around launch. I could see they were well designed but they passed into madness territory in terms of difficulty, and after a whole weekend spent on the Princes in which I did nothing else and got angrier and angrier as time went on I was pretty much done with the series. I left Nameless alive and stopped when I saw the last boss had a second phase. It was just. Too. Hard. 

This year I decided to give it another crack from the start, play alongside a mate and see how I got on with a strength build. And... well... it went pretty well. It's amazing how the muscle memory works for these things. As soon as I started fighting the dancer it was 2016 again and I knew exactly how she was coming at me. She went down second time of asking. Dragonslayer Armour I did in one, which had taken frustrating hours years prior. I think it helped I had a pretty beefy Yhorm's sword and crazy points in STR but I was just nailing it. Then it came to the Princes. I was genuinely tense walking up to their fog door, the memories of that awful, awful weekend when I should have just gone outside and walked away from it came flooding back. 

They went down in one go. My gaming moment of the year and we're only in February. Every little thing they did was so ingrained in my mind from the countless hours spent failing to them that I just knocked the fuck of them first time of asking. No chest palpitations from last time, no swearing at the top of my voice, just "oh shit I can fucking well do this" and dancing around them until they were dead. I smashed through the back half of the game, Nameless fell solo after about five tries, I bought and loved the DLC, and Cinder went down after about three tries. Slave Knight Gael is second only to Artorius as my favourite Souls boss. 

Dark Souls 1 is definitely my favourite of the games just due to dat structure. But 3 has by far the best bosses. It's yet another masterpieces by From... And those princes? Pieces of piss, mate. 

• Upvote 7

Yes, yes you do! Also if you play that mod, there is a thing you can do to add extra enemies into the maps, do it! With the 165 version, if you go behind the transposing guy and read his seat it will engage extra enemies, the other seats have other additional challenge modes too! I'd recommend reading the change log for at least a couple of the previous versions lol

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 5R7 said:

Yes, yes you do! Also if you play that mod, there is a thing you can do to add extra enemies into the maps, do it! With the 165 version, if you go behind the transposing guy and read his seat it will engage extra enemies, the other seats have other additional challenge modes too! I'd recommend reading the change log for at least a couple of the previous versions lol

I never bothered with the Mods for DS3, for some reason I could never get them working.

So I bought this on the xbox one as it was in stock and dark souls remastered wasn't. Only ever played Sekiro before and while it was lovely, I'm rubbish at difficult games. Ended up quitting fairly early on. So it was probably a big mistake buying Souls 3. Anyway, I'm now dying every bloody go. I'm in a room at the high wall of Lothric, trying to get a cell key to rescue Greirat. Lots of dogs and blokes with hammers. 

I suppose I'm only really posting as I'm frustrated and shit at these games. How the hell do you become good at them?

• Empathy 1

Patience, if I had to sum it up in one word.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, DC said:

Patience, if I had to sum it up in one word.

Yep. I think you have to intrigued enough in the world and want to desperately see what's around the next corner enough to want to persevere. I dunno if DS3's world design is strong enough for that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zico said:

So I bought this on the xbox one as it was in stock and dark souls remastered wasn't. Only ever played Sekiro before and while it was lovely, I'm rubbish at difficult games. Ended up quitting fairly early on. So it was probably a big mistake buying Souls 3. Anyway, I'm now dying every bloody go. I'm in a room at the high wall of Lothric, trying to get a cell key to rescue Greirat. Lots of dogs and blokes with hammers. 

I suppose I'm only really posting as I'm frustrated and shit at these games. How the hell do you become good at them?

What class did you start as?

I would recommend knight for a first time, as they have a decent amount of defence, and attack.

And dont play it like a hack n slash, take your time, and use your shield to block! dont worry about parrying, just block!

oh, and there is a bow available on the high wall at the start, just go the way that dead ends. Having a bit of range can help.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

What class did you start as?

I would recommend knight for a first time, as they have a decent amount of defence, and attack.

And dont play it like a hack n slash, take your time, and use your shield to block! dont worry about parrying, just block!

oh, and there is a bow available on the high wall at the start, just go the way that dead ends. Having a bit of range can help.

I've started as the Warrior. Yeah I've pretty much been playing in like a hack and slash, more out of anxiety rather than on purpose. 

Never thought about the bow and arrows. They may be helpful where I'm stuck at the moment. 

they will indeed ;)

you may wanna restart as a knight, it wont take you long to get back there. And some slightly better defence, and, make sure you dont go over 70% equip weigh, as that makes you fat roll, and you dont want that when starting!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 5R7 said:

make sure you dont go over 70% equip weigh, as that makes you fat roll, and you dont want that when starting!

Thanks for that. I was over 70% in weight. Changed that now. 

Yeah, take your time with combat, it should be slow and methodical.

When locked on to an enemy, use your movement to create distance and walk around them (so you don't have to take every attack on your shield), take 1 or 2 attacks when you see an opening. Don't get greedy. Back off to recover stamina (stamina recovers very slowly when your shield is up).

If you're stuck on a difficult room, think about how you can use the environment to your advantage. I remember the room you're talking about and I think you start above on a walkway? So maybe try to get in some bow/firebomb shots from the top to take out the dogs at the start (some of the barrels will explode if caught in a firebomb and kill any of the enemies nearby). Try to funnel enemies through choke points.

16 hours ago, Zico said:

How the hell do you become good at them

USE MY AMAZING USER GUIDE VIDEOS :wub:

• Upvote 6

Despite starting a new run on this last year but then stopping once I reached the swamp area (fucking curse frogs), I've just bought the Gold edition on PC. I'm thinking of doing a sorcerer build this time as I've only ever done one of those before on DS1.

Are there any easy-to-install graphical mods people would recommend, bearing in mind that I've never modded anything before?