IGNORED

Dark Souls 3

Bojangle

Excepts from a Famitsu interview:

Whats the world of Dark Souls III like?

Miyazaki: The sense of something having ended, or destruction, is stronger.

Are there any changes to the basic design?

Dark Souls III follows closely from II, so we kept the handy things from II.

Regarding actions or weapons

Weve expanded the character builder and tactical options without sacrificing the feel of the series. We added new action elements that contribute to the sense of role-playing. For instance, we adopted the concept of rapid fire for the short bow, and the animation between rolling and walking has been smoothed out.

The speed of the action is slightly increased compared to the previous two games and balanced so you can move intuitively. I dont think were going to employ the idea of agility, otherwise the action would be stressful until you raise your stats.

There are slightly less maps than Dark Souls II, but each of the maps are on a much larger scale.

http://gematsu.com/2015/06/dark-souls-iii-fewer-maps-larger-scale#TGAqW4vZRwQiKFzc.99

Has this been posted yet? Interesting that this is not the last Souls game but rather a turning point in the series. Impressed too by the fact they were working on it while DS2 was still knee deep in development.

I didn't even know there was a design works for II! Doh!

Might have to order rather come payday. Is it as nice as the Dark Souls 1 book?

Yes :)

post-11702-0-99188100-1434798913_thumb.j

I guess it doesn't suffer for being in Japanese?

Not really there are over 200 pages of pictures with only captions in Japanese and bit at the back, 10 pages of an interview which is obviously in Japanese. It is mainly pictures :)

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think a Dark Souls game that wasn't set in a decayed, almost post-apocalyptic environment would work?

Like, could a game happen set during the time of Anor Londo's heyday, when you could visit and it would be a thriving (albeit weird, I would assume) city with lots of weird people going about their weird business? (I picture it as being a bit like Hyrule Castle market in Ocarina of Time).

Or could this sort of environment even work if it was restricted to being an Oolacile-style time slip - like you went through a portal and saw what it was like centuries ago before all the gods and citizens left.

Or would this totally go against the grain of Dark Souls - it HAS to take place in a fallen, diseased world for it to be "right"?

Personally I think it would be great fun to get a glimpse of what the world was like during happy, thriving times. They must have had some at some point.

Yeah BB is a little less post-apocalyptic - it seems like the idea there is that shit just hits the fan one night every now and then. The rest of the time people go about business as usual. It would be good to get an idea of what that looks like. Although presumably there's still the odd beast roaming the streets. And they probably don't get all those coffins out into the street every Night of the Hunt and then clear them all away again in the morning. So things are probably pretty weird there at the best of times, too.

I just recently found out that Loran was an ancient city in the BB world which was constantly plagued by, erm, plagues. Loran sounds a bit like Lordran right? Imagine if it turns out that they are set in the same world and Loran was named after the ancient kingdom which it was built on top of, and the undead plague is somehow connected to the beast plague. One of the Bloodborne item descriptions talks about how something comes from an earlier age of chivalry and knights-in-armour, which kind of sounds like how things are in DS world, with all its different types of knights. So we know BB-world has a history which is more knights-in-armour and chivalry than Victoriana gothic.

I don't think that there will be any lore links between Dark Souls and BB because of the rights stuff. I imagine the medieval period of the BB world to include Demon's Souls, especially with the Umbasa in FG's Alpha dialogue.

As for the world of Dark Souls, I'd like to see more areas that aren't ruined and awful. I think the moments in the first two games where you catch glimpses of the past are incredibly effective and a little pocket of humanity in the world would be good.

Yeah I don't seriously think there will be an explicit connection made. But it might have been in their heads when the were coming up with the concept for BB that it would be set in the same world, a thousand years in the future, where the disease still exists but has mutated from something mystical into a bloodbourne pathogen.

I think Marvellous Chester would be your best link there, as he explicitly says he's from even further into the future than you and he's dressed all Bloodborney.

Now that you mention it! :o We can all agree that Miyazaki is a genius, but to think that he was already envisioning Bloodborne back when they were making Dark Souls... that is awesome :D

I think Marvellous Chester would be your best link there, as he explicitly says he's from even further into the future than you and he's dressed all Bloodborney.

Does he? I just looked through his dialogue on a wiki, and while he says that he's from the future, he doesn't say he's from further into the future than you are. Although his clothes would suggest he's from a different era to the player.

Interesting, I was sure he made some reference to that. Still, he's dressed in a Victorian gothic style from a period you'd expect to post date a medieval vibe.

Given that Miyazaki's work on the DLC was minimum as he was off to direct BB and DSIII I wonder if Chester was one of his few contributions or a nod from the DLC team who already knew the themes he was working with on BB.

My thoughts which I have spoilered just in case

Possibly though there aren't any Hunters that use crossbows in Bloodborne, though the Tomb Guardians do have crossbows. So possibly he could have been a Tomb Prospector and just taken a fancy to the crossbow or he could have been a Pthumerian with a liking for a top hat and tails.

Though I think he was dragged into the past by Manus, so how that fits together without Manus having some sort of connection to the Great Ones I'm not sure.

Having said that the lore is such that there is no right answer just what fits with your narrative of the games, which is one of the great things about the story in these games for me :)