Pixar's The Good Dinosaur

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Agree with others that the main dinosaur, Arlo, looks odd. Not a bad look per se, just not very 'Pixar'. I'm sure he'll be utterly adorable in the end though and sell a gazillion toys (aided by the Jurassic World effect).

Overall slightly underwhelmed by the initial trailer but it feels more like a reminder of a new Pixar movie than an all-out marketing assault. And even feeling slightly underwhelmed the animation itself looks utterly incredible.

Also intrigued by the films Pixar chooses to reference when they state, 'from the creators of'. The studio has such a rich archive to choose from but guess those choices, and the sub-conscious feels towards those movies they evoke, are a subtle way to prepare audiences for each new movie.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I quite liked it. It plays out like an oddball sixties Western- a boy (dinosaur) and his dog (human) go on a journey, stumbling across hard-bitten cowboys, oddball zen mystics, twisted religious maniacs- there's even a psychedelic drug trip.

On the downside I found the main character - the dinosaur- a little bit irritating- but it looks lovely, well worth the 3D which was quite understated but brought the already gorgeous landscape to life. And there's one wordless sequence which is a real tear-jerker as well - not quite up there with the opening sequence of Up but still hits home pretty hard.

It's a much more straight forward and normal movie than Inside Out and the tale might be a bit over-familiar, but I was surprised by some of the reviews I read after seeing it- Bradshaw in the Guardian gave it two stars, called it "desperately twee and disappointing", and that's from a guy who gave Spectre five stars out of five so it's not like he's got high standards. Probably my favourite reaction is from Forbes though where the guy takes it to task for being "a missed opportunity in speculative biology" - http://www.forbes.com/sites/jvchamary/2015/11/26/pixar-good-dinosaur/- it's a dinosaur expert taking apart a kids' movie for not being the movie he wanted it to be.

The Good Dinosaur verdict, by me:

The environment work is absolutely stunning. Just gorgeous. They worked their socks off on the water. But, if you've always felt Cars gets a bum wrap as the worst Pixar movie, don't worry. This is the new worst Pixar movie.

I mean, they literally made a Western where they replaced settlers with dinosaurs and the mute Indian companion with a human baby.

And...that's it. There's nothing there. The story is rushed, it feels cut to pieces, it's trite and stoic and without a soul or humour. The boy just said he thought it was "good". Toddlers in the audience were scared to shit by some bits and when it does tug on the heart strings it's the obvious ones it pulls rather than, say, the master strokes of Toy Story and its exploration of growing up. Nice water tho!

Saw it today with my 4 year old. She didn't mind it but I thought it was poor. At least by Pixar standards.

As said above the scenery is incredible, absolutely stunning. The boy is nicely designed and animated. But the story is really trite and dull. All the characters are totally one dimensional and there was no background to any of the foes added throughout the story. All pretty lame and I wonder how it got green lit given Pixar's usually high standards

What a shame and thank goodness for Inside Out

It just looks so uninspired from the trailer, a bit of snow and could be an Ice Age sequel. I'm sure Pixar will prove me wrong but unlike all of their other movies (with the exception Cars) had an idea that made me want to see it.

Was surprised at the negativity to this yesterday and saw it today: it was fine. The scenery is stunning as everyone is saying, the weather effects (love when the lighting in a scene is affected by cloud movement that isn't indicating anything)...

Its just uninspired; I had no interest in Arlo, I think Spot is nicely emotive but I wasn't bought into their relationship so that typical Pixar heartbreaking bit just didn't have any weight. A lot of the other dinosaurs I liked, none outstayed their welcome... felt like there was a lot of life-threatening danger in this for a Pixar film.

I liked how the Pterosaurs were handled, the twist when you first meet them, their second entrance and was genuinely shocked that they make off with Spot. Goes downhill from there though as I find it hard to believe he survives...

I like the Tyrannosauruses (they weren't all though were they...) who don't outstay their welcome and feature this for a Children's film:

"It was 100 degrees in the shade and I walked for five days with no water. Then I saw it, the pretty pond. I bent down to take a drink when these crocs launched out of the water. One croc bit me on the face. Ain't no way I wasn't their supper, except for one thing. I wasn't ready for dying that day. I bit one croc in half, tail-whipped the other, and the last one, well, I drowned that croc in my own blood. "

Underuse of Anna Paquin though?

The bit were Spot rips the bug's head off got a good reaction and that fermented fruit scene? Didn't see that coming.

Personally I liked it more than Brave; a film I know a lot of people enjoy but similar to this I want to love it and its gorgeous scenery but it just doesn't engage me. Better than Cars 2, A Bugs Life or Brave for me!

Reading trivia on imdb it had a difficult development (change of director, pushed out a couple of years and a heavy re-write) and that shows (like Ratatouille I guess). By no means bad, my two sons (5 & 3) both enjoyed it a lot by I did feel the cinema got noisy/restless as kids got bored...

Was surprised at the negativity to this yesterday and saw it today: it was fine...

I don't read your critique much differently to mine, or any others. We all agree it looks beautiful but that, to varying degrees, the story is a let down. I expect more of Pixar than "fine" that's all

I think it would have benefited from more time with the other characters, allowing Arlo time to grow much, much more as a character.

The cross-eyed whatever he was with Fury and Killer and Debbie was brilliant but too short lived. The Pterasaurs appear, have a chase and then disappear again until the end. I'd have loved to spend more time with the T-Rexs - what with them giving Arlo two major character development points in just their short time on screen (the fight, keeping the herd together). Too much time was spent with Arlo and Spot just walking.

Yes, there was a lack of any kind of back story or development for any of the supporting characters. Perhaps they took this route on purpose, mimicking some classic westerns, but it didn't feel like this. It just feels under developed and lazy

Just saw this...

First, I thought Inside Out was dreadful. A real disappointment, especially as Up is a great film.

Anyway, this? I thought after a bit of a slow start it turned out great. As people have pointed out, the scenery is amazing, but I take it that this is Pixar's version of an epic Wild West. Lots of stunning "Big Country" scenery with a minimum story that drives it along.

And maybe that's what puts people off, there really isn't that much story to it. And the cartoony characters are a bit jarring. But it looks amazing.

Plus it's got a good old Pixar emotional end to it.