Pixar's The Good Dinosaur

You prefer this to Inside Out? You're a monster!

Yeah, I thought Inside Out was lazy and cliched. Maybe I was really disappointed because it's from the same director as Up!, which I think is one of Pixar's best.

Maybe I went in expecting too much, but Inside Out felt poor compared with non-Pixar animated films like The Lego Movie or even Minions(which was pretty crap, but had a few decent gags in it).

I don't know if Pixar were trying to get a more mainstream, and potential franchise, film with Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur was one of those "out there" films like Up!, Wall-E.

Certainly would explain with the amount of marketing going into Inside Out and practically nothing going into The Good Dinosaur.

I don't know if Pixar were trying to get a more mainstream, and potential franchise, film with Inside Out and The Good Dinosaur was one of those "out there" films like Up!, Wall-E.

Interesting. I read the opposite view. Inside out feels (to me) like a great Puxar film in the vein of Up and others. The good dinosaur feels like cars...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Watched it with my eight year old last night it has some of the most stunning cgi water I have ever seen. The story is pretty forgettable fair and could have been switched up a bit.

But it had my daughter in floods of tears at the end, so they definitely pulled some heart strings well.

Overall it was well presented, with a very straightforward script and some decent set pieces. Worth getting if you've got younger members of your family to watch it with.

Pixar movies have become the CGI equivalent of Tom Hanks acting for me - or possibly Will Smith when he's trying to win an oscar. I would like them to do a movie for once that didn't rely on soppy emotion, puppy dog eyes or 'awwww' moments to make an impact. Toy Story nailed it - it was sad when Buzz lost his confidence/arm, but it made fun with it, with his alcoholic self pity. Modern Pixar would do a five minute long scene set to a sensitive ballad with liberal amounts of hugging to make the point, and to try and get it's audience reaching for the tissues.

Inside Out made me start thinking 'not this again...', and The Good Dinosaur really told me that my tolerance for it is over. The 'comedy' parts were also really misjudged, the whole tripping on fermented fruit thing was pretty disgusting to watch.

They need better writers to convince me they are not just a one trick pony these days.

That tripping bit was a bit of silliness for about thirty seconds, hardly disgusting! 

It's a very play by numbers film, but don't drag inside out down there too, that's got a lot more going on.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Inside Out - it just made me realise that Pixar always seem to work the same sentimental angle.

It was only thirty seconds, but my 4yr old, my wife and I all exchanged 'WTF' glances before it ended. It seemed really out of place - something else Pixar used to be able to do well was including adult level humour in kid's movies. This was not that.

• 4 years later...

A film so boring and slow it has become the absolute best way to get our two year old to take a nap. It’s become something of a ritual: bottle of milk, his favourite teddy, a blanket and stick Good Dinosaur on. He’s asleep before the dad dies.