IGNORED

E3 2015 Microsoft Conference Thread: June 15th 5:30 PM BST

Robo_1

Rate The Conference  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Isn't it "limited" just because they haven't signed deals with everyone yet? All the preview games are MS-funded or first party.

I'd assume they're still tuning the emulation..

How long have people been messing with N64, DC, PS2 etc emulation? Not every game works properly on those either after many more years in development..

It's not exactly a trivial thing.. especially considering the architectural differences of the hardware..

Isn't it "limited" just because they haven't signed deals with everyone yet? All the preview games are MS-funded or first party.

or they'll limit it to the ones they get working.

Like they did on the 360.

It makes sense that games which were "MS-funded or first party" would be easiest to start with from a tech point of view.

I guess because they reselling digital distributed games that they don't own, there is a "licencing" issue, but they just won't bother licencing stuff they can't get working, and vice versa. I reckon.

They explicitly said in the conference that there was no "making it work" for the publishers. When they flip the switch, the game becomes available for Xbox One. In principle.

Presumably there's some basic testing to confirm it doesn't break, but there will be no wrangling emulation profiles for disinterested publishers.

How long have people been messing with N64, DC, PS2 etc emulation? Not every game works properly on those either..

Well yes, but that's a bunch of part-time hobbyists backwards engineering something from second-hand information.

I imagine it's a bit different when you're a large institution which still has the people who produced the architecture. I mean Sony got PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility working and no-one doubted that when they did it.

I don't get what else they could have done to win you round?

AAA titles

Retro titles

Indie titles

New hardware

Backwards compatibility

Free games

Amazing franchises

New IP

It literally had it all.

That reads like a Microsoft Exec's whiteboard to me! I just don't feel excited by much there. Currently D4 and Cuphead are the most compelling reasons for me to pick up an Xbone, but that just doesn't feel like it it's anywhere near to worthwhile. Crucially, this isn't what Microsoft do best. Their strengths and Sony's weakness is Online and AAA, but endless sequels that play more-or-less the same as the previous game just isn't going to cut it for me.

I wish their studios where given more freedom to make completely new games, or at least games in the universe that are nothing like what has come previous. I honestly think that Destiny is the sort of game I expect Microsoft to have made, and the fact it didn't happen while under them is a massive shame. I want something really new and only possible by their studios and/or money.

I meant on PS4.

Eh?

PS4 has no back compatibility for the others does it?..

As mentioned.. PS2 had a PS1 processor in it acting as a sound processor IIRC..

Early PS3's had both PS2 processors in it - later ones removing one then both processors.. back comp only worked 100% on the first gen.. ~some~ worked on the second when the other processor was emulated and none (?) worked when both were absent..

They explicitly said in the conference that there was no "making it work" for the publishers. When they flip the switch, the game becomes available for Xbox One. In principle.

Presumably there's some basic testing to confirm it doesn't break, but there will be no wrangling emulation profiles for disinterested publishers.

clap.gif?hc_location=ufi

A solid presentation, with a few REALLY interesting id@xbox games but nothing big really impressed me. Dark Souls 3 yeah, that was awesome, but that's also multiplatform. And that new Keiji Inafune game, but we haven't seen gameplay yet. Other than that it was a bit samey, or at least outside my current tastes (Forza, gears, halo, Minecraft) but I'm looking forward to seeing more of Crackdown and Quantum Break later this year. Those are the kind of games that will make me pick up an XB1 sooner than later.

Oh yeah, I was really disappointed with 'the new Rare game', I had high expectations of them making something cool again after all the Kinext bullshit and the avatar awfulness and all we got was some mmo style online pirate crapfest. Shame. The collection of 30 games was cool though.

PS4 has no back compatibility for the others does it?.. as mentioned PS2 had a PS1 processor in it..

They're doing it through PS Now. Presumably they're not hooking up racks of PS1's, so are emulating them?

But even if that example isn't right, Nintendo do it regularly and no one doubts it.

A solid presentation, with a few interesting id@xbox games but nothing really impressed me. Dark Souls 3 yeah, that was awesome, but that's also multiplatform. And that new Keiji Inafune game, but we haven't seen gameplay yet. Other than that it was a bit samey, or at least outside my current tastes (Forza, gears, halo, Minecraft) but I'm looking forward to seeing more of Crackdown and Quantum Break later this year. Those are the kind of games that will make me pick up an XB1 sooner than later.

Oh yeah, I was really disappointed with 'the new rare game', I had high expectations of them making something cool again after all the Kinext bullshit and the avatar awfulness and all we got was some mmo style online pirate crapfest. Shame. The collection of 30 games was cool though.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

The trailer for that pirate game looked awesome: everyone working as a team to sail the ship, gorgeous blue sky graphics, and a real sense of discovery and exploration. The skeptical side of me thinks that it'll just be another MMO, however, where 99% of players aren't interested in any sort of genuine cooperative play whatsoever and are far more concerned with selfishly upgrading their equipment and amassing as much loot as possible.

Apart from that, although it was a sound conference overall, I'm still not going to be rushing out to buy a XB1. Backwards compatibility was a surprise, but then I still have my 360 hooked up to my telly anyway. More Gears is more Gears, and I haven't really been especially interested in a Halo game since the third one. Some of the indie titles look interesting, and it was good for MS to give the indie developers so much showtime, but indie titles always look good until you play them and realise that only rarely do they live up to the hype.

What the hell, Jetpac and Atic Atac are coming to Xbox One?

Here's the full list of games, when they were first released, and some key features as described by a Microsoft press release:

1. Jetpac (released in 1983, 1-2 players) – Single-screen shooter where Jetman must reassemble and fuel his rocket while fending off alien hordes.

2. Atic Atac (released in 1983, 1 player) – Top-down adventure with increased replayability thanks to randomized object locations and three different character classes.

3. Lunar Jetman (released in 1983, 1-2 players) – A return to the Jetpac side-scrolling formula, but with a scrolling, randomly generated landscape and much more to do.

4. Sabre Wulf (released in 1984, 1-2 players) – Classic jungle maze game and the first appearance of explorer Sabreman, tackling dangers including the vicious ’Wulf itself.

5. Underwurlde (released in 1984, 1 player) – Rare’s first true platform game. Help Sabreman survive the perils of the Underwurlde and escape through one of three exits.

6. Knight Lore (released in 1984, 1 player) – Introduction of Ultimate’s groundbreaking isometric Filmation engine. Sabreman must scour the castle for items to cure his werewolf curse.

7. Gunfright (released in 1986, 1-2 players) – A Wild West spin on the isometric style, with an improved engine and new first-person target-shooting sections.

8. Slalom (released in 1987, 1-2 players) – Rare’s first console game. Make it to the bottom of each course before time runs out while avoiding trees, sledders, snowmen and other skiers.

9. R.C. Pro-Am (released in 1988, 1 player) – Responsive racing game that inspired elements of Rare’s future racers, including speed boosts, upgrades and collectible power-ups littered around the track.

10. Cobra Triangle (released in 1989, 1 player) – Hop into a boat and power through a branching game world, completing challenges such as shooting targets, disposing of mines and defeating leviathans.

11. Snake Rattle N Roll (released in 1990, 1-2 players) – A fast-paced isometric adventure. Rattle and Roll must eat Nibbley-Pibbleys until they’re heavy enough to ring a bell and open the exit.

12. Digger T. Rock (released in 1990, 1-2 players) – 2D platformer in which Digger must find an exit switch, stand on it, then make it to the exit in 60 seconds.

13. Solar Jetman (released in 1990, 1 player) – A game built around exploration and physics; Jetman has to tow fuel and other items to his mothership.

14. Battletoads (released in 1991, 1-2 players) – Skill and perseverance required as the ’Toads take on multiple game styles to rescue Pimple and Princess Angelica from the Dark Queen.

15. R.C. Pro-Am II (released in 1992, 1-4 players) – Sequel to R.C. Pro-Am with a wider variety of environments, more car customization options and bonus games.

16. Battletoads Arcade (released in 1994) – First “Battletoads” game to allow all three ‘Toads to play simultaneously. Has never had a home release before “Rare Replay

17. Killer Instinct Gold (released in 1996, 1-2 players) – Home version of Killer Instinct 2 with several multiplayer modes (including tournament mode) and a training dojo.

18. Blast Corps (released in 1997, 1 player) – Cult classic with a fleet of destructive vehicles (from bulldozers to robots) used to clear the path for a runaway nuclear missile carrier.

19. Banjo-Kazooie (released in 1998, 1 player) – 3D platformer adventure where Banjo and Kazooie must take on the evil witch Gruntilda, who’s kidnapped Banjo’s sister Tooty and plans to steal her beauty for herself.

20. Jet Force Gemini (released in 1999, 1-4 players) – Interstellar action adventure that mixes third-person exploration and alien-blasting action as the last three JFG members go up against Mizar.

21. Perfect Dark (relased in 2000, 1-4 players) – A stealth shooter set in the year 2023. Players lead secret agent Joanna Dark against the dataDyne corporation as they uncover an alien conspiracy that takes her around the world.

22. Banjo-Tooie (released in 2000, 1-4 players) – Builds on Banjo-Kazooie with larger worlds, separately controllable characters, multiplayer modes and many more moves to learn.

23. Conker’s Bad Fur Day (released in 2001, 1-4 players) – Beloved comedy adventure that mixes up genres (platformer, third-person shooting, racing) with mature humor, pop culture references and parodies.

24. Grabbed by the Ghoulies (released in 2003, 1 player) – Rare’s first Xbox game. A comic book beat-’em-up set in a haunted house filled with breakable scenery and Ghoulies of all kinds.

25. Perfect Dark Zero (released in 2005, 1-4 players locally, up to 32 players online) – A prequel to Perfect Dark that delves into Joanna’s origins and fuses first-person shooting with third-person, cover-based combat.

26. Kameo: Elements of Power (released in 2005, 1-2 players locally or online) – A fantasy adventure focused on combat and exploration, with Kameo able to transform into ten different Elemental Warriors.

27. Viva Piñata (released in 2006, 1-2 players locally) – A magical gardening/life sim in which the player can cultivate a garden paradise, attract different Piñatas and keep them safe from Professor Pester and his Ruffians.

28. Jetpac Refuelled (released in 2007, 1-2 players locally or online) – A modern update to Jetpac. Assemble and fuel your rocket before blasting off to the next of 128 challenging stages.

29. Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (released in 2008, 1-2 players locally, up to 4 players online) – A more open-ended, customizable approach to the series with vehicle-based challenges set by L.O.G. (the Lord of Games).

30. Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise (released in 2008, 1-2 players locally or online) – Features new species and Piñata Central challenges, plus desert and arctic regions to visit and catch native Piñatas.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

What? Microsoft have never been closer to selling me an Xbox One, I'm just looking for that one game that tips me over the edge. Then I will definitely pick up Sunset Overdrive and Halo: MCC. But at the conference Gears looked boring, so that isn't that one game. And I haven't seen enough of that Inafune game. And that pirate game... I don't know, it didn't really do it for me. Nothing like the immediate brilliance and inventiveness of something like Nuts & Bolts for example.Feel free to sell me on it though

They're doing it through PS Now. Presumably they're not hooking up racks of PS1's, so are emulating them?

But even if that example isn't right, Nintendo do it regularly and no one doubts it.

Nintendo do it per game.

It's multiplayer piracy! Multiplayer wind waker and monkey island (kinda!). It didn't sell me a xbox one, but it certainly added to the potential reasons to get one. Assuming it doesn't suck.

Great to see the old, oolllld Rare/Ultimate stuff getting appreciated, the idea of playing Atic Atac again in 2015 outside of an emulator is almost ridiculous! I wonder if they have emulated the Speccy colour clash?

It's multiplayer piracy! Multiplayer wind waker and monkey island (kinda!). It didn't sell me a xbox one, but it certainly added to the potential reasons to get one. Assuming it doesn't suck.

Fair enough, but my gaming time is far too irregular these days to bother with any kind of multiplayer and it didn't really appeal to me what I saw of it. Certainly nothing like the immediate brilliance of something like Nuts & Bolts for example.