IGNORED

E3 2015 Sony Conference Thread: June 16th 2:00 AM BST

Robo_1

Rate The Conference  

244 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

At this point, I have no interest in Half Life 3 because I have nothing more to go on bar the fact that that's what it's called. At this point in time, that's how I feel. Like I posted earlier, I don't know if I've just gotten a little bored of stuff right now and it's colouring my opinion of these announcements. I mean, I'm a huge Halo fan, but even Halo 5 barely raised my interest. I think I'm just being crotchety as I get older.

So? You know plenty of people are much more excited about it than you. Why are you saying that this news is not so rad based on your own opinion alone?

I am not an Shenmue fan but I can recognise that 3 getting a release is a big deal because people are absolutely nuts about it. I can empathise. I am also not making the mistake of confusing my opinion for other people's opinions.

You've not come into this saying "I'm not so keen on this", you've come in explicitly asking why people are so excited about it because, uh, you're not so much personally.

Do you see the problem there? Are you going to pull this when HL3 is announced - like pretending you don't understand the fuss? Prepare to drown in negs I guess.

You know perfectly well why people are so excited so this whole exchange is frustrating. Im also confused by your judgement that, I dunno, only one emotional adventure game can be made per decade or something. Bizarre. Sorry, I reckon the market can sustain another one - and from a proven master at that.

I'll also go further and say that as much as I liked Brothers it's overrated. I'm confident Team Ico can make a better game. That said I don't share the notion you seem to have that these games are occupying exactly the same space.

I can't help see them as simply Easy Gamer Wins. What have gamers wanted for ages? FFVII remake, Shenmue 3 and The Last Guardian? It's the logical end point for this HD Remaster shit that's becoming endemic at the moment. I don't know. I mean, I want to see how Shenmue ends, but really, in 2015, what the fuck is that game to modern audiences? If they change it, it won't be Shenmue. If they don't, it'll get ripped to shreds by modern gamers. Maybe I'm just becoming jaded, and a few years ago, those announcements would have made me cheer, but now... I've played FFVII. The Last Guardian has been beaten to the punch by things like Brothers and Shenmue 3 is so anachronistic these days as to be almost irrelevant.

This was my intitial response. I don't think I was asking anyone anything. Also, fair enough on everything else. We disagree. It isn't the first time.

I think you should go back and play ICO.

Really? What technically couldn't have been done, other than aesthetic stuff? Maybe the physics for that urn that the boy moves. Everything else could have been canned animation. It looks way more impressive than ICO, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything beyond the aesthetics.

Edit: because it's rllmuk, I probably need to explicitly say that ICO and SOTC are two of my favourite games ever. I think they're both incredible. I'm not ragging on Team ICO. I've been wanting TLG for six years, and bought a PS3 because it was apparently going to be a PS3 game. I hope this is as good as they were, and it'll definitely be one main factor behind me eventually buying a PS4.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Team Ico are not going to put out a "mess" after 6 years.

Pfft, what the fuck?

I'm sure they won't. My Brother's comment, by the way, was more along the lines of what seemed new and interesting back when TLG was announced doesn't seem so new and interesting now. The gameplay looked fairly rote so I'm guessing, like the other Team Ico games that it'll be the emotional hook that gets people. This has been explored in other games now, so some of it's impact has been lost slightly. I'm not saying it won't be a good game, just that what made it special a few years ago because it existed in a unique space, is not so unique any more.

Really? What technically couldn't have been done, other than aesthetic stuff? Maybe the physics for that urn that the boy puts moves. Everything else could have been canned animation. It looks way more impressive than ICO, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything beyond the aesthetics.

Other than than how its looks, the resolution at a given frame rate, the physics, and whatever else we aren't aware of from the trailer, you're right, its no different to ICO.

Listen. The Shenmue bit was a game announcement, however the game itself is a HUGE risk to any investor, be it Sony, EA, Microsoft, Activision, SEGA, anyone. It is why it hasn't been done as of yesterday.

This is what I imagine has happened in a bit of a shortened timeline

• Fans keep asking for Shenmue III
  • Yu Suzuki asks around to see if anyone wants to be part of it.
  • Sony have a meeting and agree to work with Yu and even pony up the majority of funds
  • There is a caveat though, it needs to prove the hunger is there from the fans. Not just vocally, but to prove it.
  • E3 approaches... it's agreed to make this one to remember.
  • Yu agrees to everything and knows it is do or die. Do a Kickstarter presentation at E3 and blow the gaming world away.

I don't really buy that. The Kickstarter has reached $2m so you'd think there's obviously hunger there, but there are only 28,000 backers. Imagine Shenmue 3 comes out and sells 28,000 copies, it'd be a fucking disaster.

This is just a gimmick, a fun way to get people talking, take some pre-orders. It's a decent marketing trick, too, because they knew full well it would be the most popular Kickstarter ever or something so there's a few free news stories in it. There's no way the success of the Kickstarter will have any bearing on the project.

I'm sure they won't. My Brother's comment, by the way, was more along the lines of what seemed new and interesting back when TLG was announced doesn't seem so new and interesting now. The gameplay looked fairly rote so I'm guessing, like the other Team Ico games that it'll be the emotional hook that gets people. This has been explored in other games now, so some of it's impact has been lost slightly. I'm not saying it won't be a good game, just that what made it special a few years ago because it existed in a unique space, is not so unique any more.

Well, (a) we have no idea what in it that will make it special or other wise and (b) Just because something exists already (ICO didn;t stop brothers getting made did it? to use your analogy)doesn't mean you should not do it, or it won't have a big impact.

I mean Witcher 3 is doing probably the oldest genre in the book. Doesn't stop it being utterly compelling does it?

Its not just what the story is about, its how you tell it.

Really? What technically couldn't have been done, other than aesthetic stuff? Maybe the physics for that urn that the boy moves. Everything else could have been canned animation. It looks way more impressive than ICO, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything beyond the aesthetics.

The animation is fucking amazing. The way the creature moves. The way it interacts with the environment. The feathers still look state of the art 6 years later.

I was saying it was a technical triumph for the PS3 - and that's clearly where it has most of the development.

You don't have to agree. For me its clearly got technically exciting stuff going on. Team Ico mastered inverse kinematics in SOTC years ago how Agro runs still impresses me.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Team Ico are not going to put out a "mess" after 6 years.

Really? I hope you're right.

What often happens with creative projects which get delayed again and again and again because something isn't right is that they end up being given a hard deadline by the publisher and either have to rush to meet the deadline when it still isn't ready or it gets taken away from the people with the real driving creative vision and 'finished' for them.

I appreciate this isn't in the same league, but I've seen it happen with other games such as Prey and Kameo. And those games were way, way, way better before they actually got told to finish soon OR ELSE by the publisher.

Pfft, what the fuck?

I've seen it happen too many times to be confident that it won't.

Well, (a) we have no idea what in it that will make it special or other wise and (b) Just because something exists already (ICO didn;t stop brothers getting made did it? to use your analogy)doesn't mean you should not do it, or it won't have a big impact.

I mean Witcher 3 is doing probably the oldest genre in the book. Doesn't stop it being utterly compelling does it?

Its not just what the story is about, its how you tell it.

All fair points. I just wish it had come out two years ago. I think I just have gamer's malaise going on right now. Maybe I just need a break.

I don't really buy that. The Kickstarter has reached $2m so you'd think there's obviously hunger there, but there are only 28,000 backers. Imagine Shenmue 3 comes out and sells 28,000 copies, it'd be a fucking disaster.

This is just a gimmick, a fun way to get people talking, take some pre-orders. It's a decent marketing trick, too, because they knew full well it would be the most popular Kickstarter ever or something so there's a few free news stories in it. There's no way the success of the Kickstarter will have any bearing on the project.

Of course it does. Imagine they put on the Kickstarter and it only reached $250k by the deadline. Is that project still going ahead? Of course not.

It is still a risk to put it on there, because if everyone had similar thoughts, that it is a marketing gimmick, so decided not to back the Kickstarter, it fails and doesn't get made, because then it is too much of a risk.

Sure Sony and Yu knew announcing it on-stage at E3 in the perfect time slot would have the biggest effect, but I still don't buy that this was a guaranteed win for either party, otherwise they could have told people to pre-order now and gauge interest from that over the next weeks.

So far the average cost paid per backer is £51 each. That figure will continue to drop over the next month too, as more people go for the $29 option, this is just the initial burst from diehards, over the next 30 days, more and more will get on it, plus there will be a lot of sales when it is actually out from those who don't do the whole Kickstarter thing, plus it will get a HUGE marketing push when release dates, etc are announced and it gets closer to release day.

You can expect to see your local GAME decked out in Shenmue POS.

Of course it does. Imagine they put on the Kickstarter and it only reached $250k by the deadline. Is that project still going ahead? Of course not.

That's a fair point, but there was literally a 0% chance of that happening. In an infinite number of universes with infinite numbers of possibilities, Shenmue makes $2m on Kickstarter easily every time.

Other than than how its looks, the resolution at a given frame rate, the physics, and whatever else we aren't aware of from the trailer, you're right, its no different to ICO.

So, aesthetics, aesthetics and aesthetics, based on that trailer. There's nothing there that impacts the gameplay. Like I said earlier, I assume they're doing something interesting with the physics in the full game, but the trailer didn't show it. I was asking why Smitty thought it was a technical triumph. He's presumably going on the trailer just like the rest of us. We've seen technically more impressive stuff before.

Edit: And then he answered while I was typing that. And I agree with what he said. I seem to have got confused (again) when he separated aesthetics and technical stuff, when I'd personally say that the technical stuff we saw there falls under aesthetics.

The thing is right, you can fucking guarantee if that exact Shenmue segment appeared on the MS show, Revival would be losing his fucking shit. So transparent it's unreal.

Sure fella, Whatever makes you happy. I've barely posted in any E3 topic so far and don't remember 'losing my fucking shit' to any of them so far.

If you want to hit people with a shitty stick go ahead. I'm used to it now and it doesn't matter anymore.

Would just say that if anybody even thinks that going to Kickstarter was anything other than a way of gauging how popular a new Shenmue 3 would be, you're fucking nuts :P

As someone else said, it's a pre-order vessel for this game. If it just so happens (as it seems like it's going to) that the final figure is going to be pretty darn mental, then that's only a sodding smidge of what someone like Sony would then pump into the game to get it out there to as many people as possible.

That's a fair point, but there was literally a 0% chance of that happening. In an infinite number of universes with infinite numbers of possibilities, Shenmue makes $2m on Kickstarter easily every time.

That I agree with. It shows the gaming community is alive and well and I am made up this can happen. :)

Is Shenmue really as big a deal in real life as it is in the internet's brain? I remember is being super-hyped when it came out but not exactly turning the Dreamcast around, and then the Xbox sequel did okay business, and somewhere since then it has turned into a weird internet myth that's bigger than the actual game ever was.

Clearly there are people willing to drop hundreds of dollars on merch for it, of course.

Is Shenmue really as big a deal in real life as it is in the internet's brain? I remember is being super-hyped when it came out but not exactly turning the Dreamcast around, and then the Xbox sequel did okay business, and somewhere since then it has turned into a weird internet myth that's bigger than the actual game ever was.

Clearly there are people willing to drop hundreds of dollars on merch for it, of course.

I played the first Shenume and thoroughly enjoyed. I never got round to playing 2, so my anticipation for 3 isnt as high as most on here, but I can appreciate why people are very excited about it.

I understand what you are saying though..... lets just hope it doesnt do a Duke Nukem Forever ^_^

If it was as big a deal as that outside of gaming communities like this it wouldn't need a kickstarter for a sequel 15 years later. But it's cool that it has happened.

I enjoyed the conf and caught up in the excitement even though I remembered that I don't like Shenmue, Final Fantasy OR Uncharted :lol:.

I've never even played a Shenmue game but I can understand the hype for the 3rd instalment. I even got a little bit of excitement and goosebumps when I saw it announced. Strange I know, but I think it was because of the reaction of all the fans, its really nice to see so many people still enjoy games and care that much, because judging from this place we're all miserable, cynical fucks who hate the industry.