E3 2015 Sony Conference Thread: June 16th 2:00 AM BST

Robo_1

Rate The Conference  

244 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Highlight of the Sony show for me was keeping gaming stereotypes alive...

post-13077-0-27423400-1434465170_thumb.j

Although E3 is very US centric, I can't think of a single game shown that originates from the US. Its was all Japan/UK/Europe wasn't it? A strong Japanese line up too, a return to the glory days of games!

So, aesthetics, aesthetics and aesthetics, based on that trailer. There's nothing there that impacts the gameplay. Like I said earlier, I assume they're doing something interesting with the physics in the full game, but the trailer didn't show it. I was asking why Smitty thought it was a technical triumph. He's presumably going on the trailer just like the rest of us. We've seen technically more impressive stuff before.

Edit: And then he answered while I was typing that. And I agree with what he said. I seem to have got confused (again) when he separated aesthetics and technical stuff, when I'd personally say that the technical stuff we saw there falls under aesthetics.

Dude think what you want. Please don't use my name when saying "we" have seen more technically impressive stuff before.

I don't feel like technical achievements necessarily cancel each other out.

Team Ico have made two games which have some technically interesting things going on and SOTC was a technical marvel at the time - it had fake HDR lighting, amazing draw distance, highly advanced fur, next level animation (and how the animation interacts with the environment, the inverse kinematics), some clever AI stuff, huge enemies that were beyond anything else around, some clever stuff taking on the issue of clipping on complex geometry of the enemies and so on.

For me its the poster boy for artistic AND technical achievements in a game going hand in hand.

Do I feel confident I'll see some notable technical achievements by this team? Fuck yes I do. And they'll be more interesting than more polygons in the latest Crytek engine - and crucially in the service of a much more interesting artistic vision.

The funding setup for Shenmue is odd - this was added in an update to the Kickstarter today:

Q: Will there be an Xbox/Wii U/Linux/Mac version for Shenmue 3?

A: Currently we are planning development only for PC (Windows) and PS4. Other platforms have not been decided yet.

Now, if this was being really heavily funded by Sony, you suspect the answer to that question would be a nice solid "No, there will be no other versions" surely?

Highlight of the Sony show for me was keeping gaming stereotypes alive...

Capture.JPG

Although E3 is very US centric, I can't think of a single game shown that originates from the US. Its was all Japan/UK/Europe wasn't it? A strong Japanese line up too, a return to the glory days of games!

There was a long CoD Black Ops III sequence. I am a big Black Ops fan but it was rather forgettable.

The funding setup for Shenmue is odd - this was added in an update to the Kickstarter today:

Now, if this was being really heavily funded by Sony, you suspect the answer to that question would be a nice solid "No, there will be no other versions" surely?

Not really, Why, technically, would there not be a linux/mac version?

Maybe they think they can grab some money from Xbox owners on the hope they might get it.

I played the first Shenume and thoroughly enjoyed. I never got round to playing 2, so my anticipation for 3 isnt as high as most on here, but I can appreciate why people are very excited about it.

I understand what you are saying though..... lets just hope it doesnt do a Duke Nukem Forever ^_^

The thing with DNF though was that we were waiting for 13 years from the point it was originally announced and it went through trials and tribulations and new hands and pain and torture and heartbreak etc etc etc whereas this is starting fresh right now more or less, just after a long wait. So I'm actually not too worried.

So, aesthetics, aesthetics and aesthetics, based on that trailer. There's nothing there that impacts the gameplay. Like I said earlier, I assume they're doing something interesting with the physics in the full game, but the trailer didn't show it. I was asking why Smitty thought it was a technical triumph. He's presumably going on the trailer just like the rest of us. We've seen technically more impressive stuff before.

Edit: And then he answered while I was typing that. And I agree with what he said. I seem to have got confused (again) when he separated aesthetics and technical stuff, when I'd personally say that the technical stuff we saw there falls under aesthetics.

There is a lot going on technically in that demo - the creature itself, the animation, the way it interacts with the environment, the sheer scale and complexity of the environment and its ruins. I wouldn't be surprised if the problem with the PS3 version was that the PS3 just couldn't cope.

It's also worth remembering that Ico started off as a PS1 project before moving over to PS2.

I'm not suggesting this is the sole reason for such a huge delay but over ambition could have contributed to it.

Fingers crossed for a Dreamcast port.

Dude think what you want. Please don't use my name when saying "we" have seen more technically impressive stuff before.

Not quite sure how I seem to have offended you with that, but I apologise. When I said 'we' I didn't mean 'Smitty and I have both seen more technically impressive stuff before'. I assumed it was clear enough that I meant that going off what we've all seen, I feel that there are more technically impressive games out there. However:

I don't feel like technical achievements necessarily cancel each other out.

This is exactly right, and it's something I had overlooked, I guess. Just because there have been (IMO) more technically impressive games released - and I'd put SOTC in that category as I found it more technically impressive when it was released - that doesn't mean that I should denigrate TLG just because it doesn't do lots of new things or use things in a way we haven't seen before.

Team Ico have made two games which have some technically interesting things going on and SOTC was a technical marvel at the time - it had fake HDR lighting, amazing draw distance, highly advanced fur, next level animation (and how the animation interacts with the environment, the inverse kinematics), some clever AI stuff, huge enemies that were beyond anything else around, some clever stuff taking on the issue of clipping on complex geometry of the enemies and so on.

I completely agree. I'm saying that in my opinion the trailer for TLG doesn't show that sort of technical marvelry. BUT! I'm not saying it has to. I'm not saying the full game has to. I'm absolutely not a graphics whore or someone who has to be wowed by new stuff in every game. I'm just not sure quite why you described it as a technical marvel based off the trailer. I didn't want to get into an argument. I was looking for a discussion of what you thought was technically brilliant about it.

For me its the poster boy for artistic AND technical achievements in a game going hand in hand.

Fair enough.

Do I feel confident I'll see some notable technical achievements by this team? Fuck yes I do. And they'll be more interesting than more polygons in the latest Crytek engine - and crucially in the service of a much more interesting artistic vision.

I completely agree with this.

I've never even played a Shenmue game but I can understand the hype for the 3rd instalment. I even got a little bit of excitement and goosebumps when I saw it announced. Strange I know, but I think it was because of the reaction of all the fans, its really nice to see so many people still enjoy games and care that much, because judging from this place we're all miserable, cynical fucks who hate the industry.

I actually think that this place often incorrectly assumes that anyone who doesn't automatically go into paroxysms of joy over something like this is a miserable, cynical fuck who hates the industry when in actual fact it might be more the case that, while still being impressed that such a well-regarded series is probably getting another instalment, they'd like discussion that went a little deeper than "Ooh! Shenmue! I'm excited! Are you excited! This is amazing!" Luckily, most of the people on here are willing to have that sort of discussion.

I can't believe people aren't amazed that Shenmue 3 is finally happening. I don't even like Shenmue and I'm still trying to locate my eyeballs.

I think personally Sony shot their load too early. Imagine how epic this would have been had they announced it and said it was out in six months. Rather than what we got, which was "this game is coming to PC and PS4 in 2017 if the Kickstarter gets the funds " meh.

I think personally Sony shot their load too early. Imagine how epic this would have been had they announced it and said it was out in six months. Rather than what we got, which was "this game is coming to PC and PS4 in 2017 if the Kickstarter gets the funds " meh.

It's all about showmanship though. Most of what we see at E3 is way off being released and in many instances way off what we actually end up getting. But people like to go "ooh" and "aah". We expect it.

Maybe it might launch on Windows 10 and MIGHT be one of those games that works on xbone too. Pie in the sky thinking of course but I think it's pretty obvious that since the ps4/Xbox/PC share the same tech then if there is a PC to ps4 port, it's likely there will be a PC to xbone port if it looks like there is money to be made. Unless Sony sign some sort of time limited exclusivity deal like MS did for Tomb Raider.

It's all about showmanship though. Most of what we see at E3 is way off being released and in many instances way off what we actually end up getting. But people like to go "ooh" and "aah". We expect it.

True. I just get annoyed when stuff is announced 2 years in advance. At this rate it'll be shown at E3 2016 and maybe e3 2017 too. Will people still care enough by then? I hope so since it's a new addition to the series but I'd love a little more immediacy.

See I hadn't made my mind up yet to get a Xbone or PS4. I'm a casual gamer now and I always wait a while to see what is on offer. FF7 remake is the one thing I always wanted, my favourite game of all time, it represents my childhood. This game alone has made my decision, Sony you just have got another customer.

Then you throw Shenmue into the mix as well, you can now have my first born child.

True. I just get annoyed when stuff is announced 2 years in advance. At this rate it'll be shown at E3 2016 and maybe e3 2017 too. Will people still care enough by then? I hope so since it's a new addition to the series but I'd love a little more immediacy.

mate, people have waited 14 years. I think there will still be interest in it in another two.

Depends what the arrangement is. Sony might be paying for timed exclusivity but part of the arrangement is that it isn't disclosed until a later date. As I remember Microsoft made it public that they were paying $50 million for two exclusive episodes for GTA IV but it wasn't suggested until a few years later that the content would come out on PS3 and PC.

Is there a good bullet point summary of what was announced? Don't think I'll get to watch any of the conferences.

Uncharted 4 shown

Shenmue 3 announced as existing and a kickstarter exists for it

FF VII remake announced.

Think those were the biggies.

Some other stuff too but I've forgotten. Lots of Indy stuff.

No man's sky shown again.

Help