E3 2015 Sony Conference Thread: June 16th 2:00 AM BST

Robo_1

Rate The Conference  

244 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What the fuck happened in here? This thread was full of joy early this morning.

I was going to suggest that it was because the Xbox Fanboys were in bed at the time of the conference so we didn't hear any of their negativity but Yoshi has pretty much made that point for me.

Honestly, Shenmue should have been Microsofts megaton - Xbox was where the series went after the DC went belly up, they're pretty good at recognising when something has a cult following like funding Swery65s to make something after Deadly Premonition, they've been bringing back old OG Xbox franchises for nostalgia pandering and it's not like they couldn't afford it - Sony are likely putting up less than 1% of what Microsoft paid for Minecraft.

But they were beaten to the punch in a really embarrassing way.

That video on the kickstarter page has made me realise I probably don't want it as much as I thought. There'll be no SEGA so no capsule toys with their IP, no arcade with their games - massive part of the DNA lost before it even gets going. Even the ambient arcade sound will be "not SEGA" now. It sounds so highly compromised which was not the spirit of the first two games.

Was that what made Shenmue Shenmue though? It wasn't about some dork in a jacket going on an adventure around Yokosuka gathering information and chasing leads to help pursue his father's killer, but instead was a $70m piece of Sega fanservice?

Everybody and their dog in the publishing community has had the opportunity to do a deal for Shenmue in the 14 years we've waited for progress, none of them decided to until last year apparently.

I'd have bought a VR headset if Facebook announced they were pouring $100 Million into making it into a F.R.E.E. game, perfect pace for VR.

So, aesthetics, aesthetics and aesthetics, based on that trailer. There's nothing there that impacts the gameplay. Like I said earlier, I assume they're doing something interesting with the physics in the full game, but the trailer didn't show it. I was asking why Smitty thought it was a technical triumph. He's presumably going on the trailer just like the rest of us. We've seen technically more impressive stuff before.

Edit: And then he answered while I was typing that. And I agree with what he said. I seem to have got confused (again) when he separated aesthetics and technical stuff, when I'd personally say that the technical stuff we saw there falls under aesthetics.

It was so technically demanding that the PS3 couldn't handle it and they had to move it over to the PS4.

Honestly, Shenmue should have been Microsofts megaton - Xbox was where the series went after the DC went belly up, they're pretty good at recognising when something has a cult following like funding Swery65s to make something after Deadly Premonition, they've been bringing back old OG Xbox franchises for nostalgia pandering and it's not like they couldn't afford it - Sony are likely putting up less than 1% of what Microsoft paid for Minecraft.

But they were beaten to the punch in a really embarrassing way.

I think you figured out why Microsoft didn't go after this in your post though. They spent the money on getting fan favourite niche developer Swery on board to make a brilliant game and no one cared. Financially why should they go down that route again when they could knock out a remake Gears and actually make money. It's depressing but it's where Microsoft are at these days.

Reality as opposed to school playground level posts about cumming and immature "OMG OMG there it is need new pants" posts.

That video on the kickstarter page has made me realise I probably don't want it as much as I thought. There'll be no SEGA so no capsule toys with their IP, no arcade with their games - massive part of the DNA lost before it even gets going. Even the ambient arcade sound will be "not SEGA" now. It sounds so highly compromised which was not the spirit of the first two games.

Was great to see Yu on stage getting some recognition but the window for Shenmue3 ended a long time ago - having seen the incredibly limited ps2 era gameplay for TLG the same applies there also.

I know it's hard for the mass ps4 fanboy forum swarm to take but in reality Sony had a piss poor showing. If you're one of the people citing a remake of FF7, Shenmue3 and TLG as the best games shown at e3 this year you're in for a shit time when they come out and you have to keep telling yourself they're "OMFG best thing like 4eva" whilst playing them.

Quoted to hopefully be as famous as this neo gaf post one day

Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIII for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXIII for 360 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Nah. Having a bunch of crazies who love their platform is fine and gives us a good laugh. You'd still help your Xbox zealot friend because you can relate to the curse of video games in his blood.

The social justice brigade vs. the mysoginist rednecks is actually the worst thing. I wouldn't piss on either faction if they were on fire.

Now that's genuinely sad, and I know there's clearly platform bias in the mix, but it's obvious how gutted he is that this has been announced with Sony backing it.

Well, sometimes life trips you up like that. Just last week I was enjoying an interview with Kurt Russell, one of my favourite actors, and discovered he's a Libertarian. Nothing to do but take it on the chin.

Well, sometimes life trips you up like that. Just last week I was enjoying an interview with Kurt Russell, one of my favourite actors, and discovered he's a Libertarian. Nothing to do but take it on the chin.

But does he prefer Xbox or Playstation?

I think you figured out why Microsoft didn't go after this in your post though. They spent the money on getting fan favourite niche developer Swery on board to make a brilliant game and no one cared. Financially why should they go down that route again when they could knock out a remake Gears and actually make money. It's depressing but it's where Microsoft are at these days.

Microsoft had exactly the same opportunity to do something about Shenmue as anybody else, movement for it only really began last year with the meetings between Cédric Biscay (a Shenmue fanboy himself) and Yu Suzuki to get the ball rolling.

Mere weeks after the Sony meetings about it at GDC, the new head of Xbox came out and mentioned this:

Spencer said the biggest request he hears from Xbox owners is that gamers want Microsoft to bring back Shenmue, Sega and Yu Suzuki's unfinished action adventure epic. "The big Shenmue contingency," he said with a laugh, has definitely managed to garner his attention.

So both companies were told by their respective userbases that Shenmue III needed to happen, and it was the most requested game for both platforms.

Did anyone nearly cry when Barret and Cloud appeared with that twinkly music? And again when the logo appeared, then remake and the crowd's reaction? I just know someone who told me they did.