rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Final Fantasy VII Remake - "Controversy" Materia !

Shit. I'm amazed they went for the honey bee bit like that. I'm still paranoid it will be a shenmue situation and we'll only get part one or something annoying. All fingers and toes crossed. 

• Upvote 1

I just noticed something... Cloud has what looks like some kind of grapple gun in the part where they escape Shinra HQ, then its immediately followed by a scene where Cloud is slashing away in the air.

Might be a way for Cloud to attack aerial enemies perhaps?

It's looking like the dream game we've had in our heads for years. The slums look INCREDIBLE. Absolutely perfect. I couldn't have hoped it'd turn out anywhere near this. 

• Upvote 5

I agree the script/voice acting was hammy, but from what I saw there it works well.

• Upvote 2

I reckon the footage being shown is a ps5 enhanced version and it's going to be a launch game. Game theory. 

I'm going to try to save myself and not watch that trailer. Sounds awesome though! I'm not going to get a stupid special edition or anything but would quite like a steel book. Has the cover art been announced yet?

I for one am surprised that RJ of all posters is bitching about TEH NOSTALGIA still.

• Upvote 6
  • Empathy 1

The voice acting is pretty anime, but it’s alright. At least it’s interesting.

Well this looks unbelievably good. I was one the biggest naysayers early on, but I'm happy to eat my words if it's as good as it looks, episodic or not.  I can't even believe graphics like those are possible on PS4, it looks like a PS5 game.

1 hour ago, crisy said:

can't even believe graphics like those are possible on PS4, it looks like a PS5 game.

:sherlock:

1 hour ago, James Lyon said:

Feels like we've been waiting pipapopupo years for this remake.

When was that first ever tech demo released. I think it was for PS3?

Thats how long it feels like it’s been.

On 01/02/2020 at 07:12, Broker said:

The voice acting is pretty anime, but it’s alright. At least it’s interesting.

For me at least in retrospect I’ve always felt that FF7 was a bit of a hot mess. I was worried they’d tone down or remove parts of it.

From the trailer it looks like they’ve leaned in instead!

• Upvote 1

On 31/01/2020 at 19:50, Bojangle said:

I for one am surprised that RJ of all posters is bitching about TEH NOSTALGIA still.

Just like in the good old days.

Honestly, though, aside from nostalgia, it doesn't look like something I would normally want to play. Action-RPGs with janky dialogue aren't really my bag.

It's just the fact that it's set in Midgar with characters I like and music I recognise and locations I know... that I wanna play it.

On the other hand, I worry they're gonna totally ruin it like every other FFVII expansion.

This looks all kinds of amazing. I was quick to write it off but I think they are going to do the game justice. I don't have a console atm but strongly suspect this is going to be a ps5 launch too, fingers crossed as it would sway me to sony rather than ms. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve got everything crossed that it turns out decent. Everything we’ve seen so far looks so promising. 

I’m predicting the combat to be an evolved version of FF15, and I’m certain cloud is going to get some kind of grapple. I’m thinking a simpler devil may cry kind of system to the combat, which is fine by me. 

I'd like to be optimistic about this, it looks and sounds fantastic, but I'd really like more information about the game's episodic nature. The fact answers are not forthcoming is concerning, unless I've missed an announcement? If the rest of the game gets streamlined into a linear set of plot beats where the most freedom you'll have will be temporary free rein of a specific area, how will people feel about it? It's fine for the tightly-packed, naturally segmented Midgar which served almost as a lengthy tutorial, but the rest of the world? For me the best part of the original (and all the Final Fantasy games) was slowly unlocking the freedom to explore anywhere on the world map, and importantly, being able to return to places. Will that even be possible with an episodic format with areas trapped on separate discs?

• Upvote 5

There's also the pacing of it. If the whole game is given the same treatment as the Midgar section, you'd be looking at maybe 5 full games. I can't see that ever getting finished, or sustaining interest over the years and years it'll take to make.

But if they go through the rest of it quicker, it'll be weirdly lopsided, with the original tight opening episode turned into an epic and the epic journey that follows turned into just another couple of episodes.

Correct me if I'm wrong but they have also not shown any walking around and talking? Like I said years ago, I am sure this is going to be a linear experience. Like they have taken all the 'important' speech bubbles and integrated them into cutscenes. So it's just cutscenes and running through areas fighting. I'm not saying that's a poor design choice by the way but for marketing not to be explaining this so close to launch feels a tad sleazy and will likely result in some backlash. In the same way they don't have 'part 1' on the front cover.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Capwn said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but they have also not shown any walking around and talking? Like I said years ago, I am sure this is going to be a linear experience. Like they have taken all the 'important' speech bubbles and integrated them into cutscenes. So it's just cutscenes and running through areas fighting. I'm not saying that's a poor design choice by the way but for marketing not to be explaining this so close to launch feels a tad sleazy and will likely result in some backlash. In the same way they don't have 'part 1' on the front cover.

I mean the game itself was fairly linear when you look at it, FFVIII had more world map exploration when you were in towns and hubs it seemed the only options were go to A and B. I think it's looking a lot more open with the additional content this time round, however, I'm not sure how I feel about the episodic nature this close to launch. I mean are the episodes coming as DLC? are they their own games? how will each episode link to one another making for a seamless gaming experience?

FFVII is a linear story in an "open" world - you gain the ability to fly to any location and there are optional things to do along the way (Weapons, chocobo breeding), but the general story is fixed. Sure, there will be some variety when you get someone new at the Gold Saucer date, but even that's still a fixed event that will always happen.

So far the trailers have shown key events but no hints about how a player chooses what to do or where to go, so I can appreciate the concerns over linearity. What happens when you can't afford a unique item in a store but the remake wants to move you on to the next location?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Parappa said:

Apologies if already posted - October 30th 2020 - Royal Albert Hall.

https://ffvii-remakeconcerts.com/

This is awesome news, but no ticket pricing yet or even when they go on sale, I just KNOW I'll bloody miss them, and I NEED a pair of tickets for this !!!

13 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

This is awesome news, but no ticket pricing yet or even when they go on sale, I just KNOW I'll bloody miss them, and I NEED a pair of tickets for this !!!

Yeah I fancy this as well.  A long way for me to go but I think I am going to make the effort.  

• Upvote 1

This looks amazing. At first I was skeptical but the more I see the more I am convinced. The feel of it seems just right, so fingers crossed. 

One thought I did have though, was that in the original, due to the prerendered backgrounds, they had a real variety of angles (overhead, closeup, wide angles etc) to keep it interesting (and highlight the generational change over FFVI). Is the new game going to be pure third person over the shoulder? I’d quite like some fancy camerawork that harkens back to the original. 

I’m sure they will want to show off the beauty of midgar to its fullest. I expect a lot of grand sweeping camera work.

• Upvote 2