Final Fantasy VII Remake

Well, that was a fucking wild ride.

Spoiler

Some bold decisions when they could have done a direct redo of the original. I don’t know where it’ll go now, which is kinda the point. Inject the next chapter directly into my eyes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So my wife out of the blue said, "So we need a PS5. And a 4K tv. Very soon."

What bought this on? The new FF7 Remake trailer for PS5. With the new episode. (Warning, contains spoilers for Remake obviously.)

She's currently setting up alerts for PS5 stock so I guess this is happening.

If, big if, I am going to play through this again, there's absolutely no chance it'll be with English voice-over again. The cringe anime weeb shit makes me skin crawl, it is mindbogglingly bad.

20 minutes ago, df0 said:

If, big if, I am going to play through this again, there's absolutely no chance it'll be with English voice-over again. The cringe anime weeb shit makes me skin crawl, it is mindbogglingly bad.

Oooh is the Japanese voice included? I never thought to check!

No clue. I sure hope it is.

I'll settle for any language but English.

edit: it is!

https://www.shacknews.com/article/117475/how-to-change-voice-language-final-fantasy-7-remake

Those looking to change up the voice language can do so from the Options menu at any point – however the game will need to be restarted for the language change to actually take effect. Because of this, we recommend going ahead and changing the options from the Main Menu screen before you start up the game. If you find that you aren’t fond of the voice language that you decided upon, you can always save the game and then quit back to the menu to change it again.

25 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

So when is the patch out?

I guess when the PS5 version comes out right?

I honestly couldn’t see the graphical difference in the side by side bar the frame rate 

Yeah, June 10th..

There were a lot of realtime lighting changes that seemed nice. Just overall clarity improvements. But 60fps will make a huge difference to the feel of it.

2 hours ago, df0 said:

I hear you. 

I started the game on PS4 and enjoyed it but the voiceover was fucking horrible and made me feel uneasy and irritated. . When i go back i will prob play with Japanese voice over or hopefully there is an option to turn the voice off altogether. 

I cant put up with all that grunting and creepy teenage girl giggling shite. 

10 minutes ago, Ry said:

I hear you. 

I started the game on PS4 and enjoyed it but the voiceover was fucking horrible and made me feel uneasy and irritated. . When i go back i will prob play with Japanese voice over or hopefully there is an option to turn the voice off altogether. 

I cant put up with all that grunting and creepy teenage girl giggling shite. 

I felt more (second hand) embarrassed by the voice acting in Final Fantasy VII Remake than I did when playing Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball, Hostess Club in Yakuza and Senran Kagura Beach Splash (which is basically Splatoon with massive anime tiddies).

But hey, to each their own. I'll stop whining about the voice acting, this is not the thread for it.

9 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I absolutely love the slightly hammy anime voice over type thing. 

It's totally deliberate, there's a bit of tongue in cheek vibe in there. 

Yeah I love it too and I've heard it several times over (my partner played and replayed Remake for 300 hours last year, don't judge!) But I love that the choice is there as standard, it's not an either / or thing anymore.

Just rolled the credits on this, good bit of fun isnt it.

Haven't played the original since it came out however many years ago so barely remember it.

I also stuck it down to easy as well, who can be fucked with a 20 minute battle only to die and have to redo the thing again, no time for that.

I started this in earnest last night after bouncing off the demo somewhat, back when it was released. 

The first thing that strikes me is just how sumptuous it looks, particularly the characters’ facial models - and even more particularly, the eyes. It’s a small detail, but there’s real life behind those eyes, Square have absolutely nailed it in this regard. 

Im still struggling a little bit with the battle system, but it’s clicked far more than when I played the demo, and is all the more satisfying for it. I’m not sure if there’s supposed to be any kind of visual or audio cue to indicate when an enemy is weak to a particular attack, and can therefore be pressured, other than the pressure gauge filling faster, but it’s not a huge challenge at this point, and it’s a great addition to the battle system. The Dark souls inspired blocking and dodging mechanic is also a little tricky to read, but again, is nevertheless a welcome alternative to what would otherwise be the typical RPG system of: dole out damage - soak up damage - heal when needed, which is rote and boring. 

Yes, this is very good so far. Very good indeed. 

35 minutes ago, Popo said:

I’m not sure if there’s supposed to be any kind of visual or audio cue to indicate when an enemy is weak to a particular attack, and can therefore be pressured, other than the pressure gauge filling faster, but it’s not a huge challenge at this point

If an enemy is weak to an element, the word "Weakness" will appear above the damage numbers coming off it. It's worth slotting in various elemental materia (fire, ice) when you first encounter new opponents, just to see what works against them.

Also, if you have an "Assess" materia, you can use the Assess command to show additional enemy information, which can include weaknesses.

Was there a patch or something recently? I tried to boot this up (on PS4 Pro) and it had uninstalled itself somehow. I was forced to install from scratch. I’ve never had that before with any other game.