Final Fantasy VII Remake

Just started this, and found the scorpion boss suprisingly long going. I burnt through about a dozen potions attacking him, and was wondering what difficulty here people played on? Don't want to start diggin through the thread in case of spoilers. It could just be more brain and hands are in Boodborne mode, so switching to something else will have an impact.

48 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Just started this, and found the scorpion boss suprisingly long going. I burnt through about a dozen potions attacking him, and was wondering what difficulty here people played on? Don't want to start diggin through the thread in case of spoilers. It could just be more brain and hands are in Boodborne mode, so switching to something else will have an impact.

It’s quite balanced . Fighting summons to acquire them was at time very difficult but it’s got some challenge to it overall that makes it satisfying when you reach the end.

Its certainly not bloodborne difficult.

I played it on the default.

I played it on easy because I just wanted to experience the story and explore, a normal playthrough is on the cards this year.

My wife though? One run through one easy and multiple normal runs with a hard run being attempted. And hard is a real step up with needing to know how to dodge, counter and stagger. Not Dark Souls hard, but there's some actual mechanics there. She's spent over 300 hours playing it inside and out.

Just don't play it on "classic". It doesn't play like the original at all and makes it a lot less fun.

On 27/02/2021 at 08:36, memories said:

I also stuck it down to easy as well, who can be fucked with a 20 minute battle only to die and have to redo the thing again, no time for that.

To quote myself.

Like Who I just wanted to have fun and explore the story more than anything.

I played it on normal and found it to be a really rewarding, well balanced experience. The combat's one of the best things about the game and I think normal really makes you properly use it to the full. 

So when I played (and replayed, and replayed) the demo of this, my main take-away was a detailed but hastily explained battle system, a first rate reinterpretation of the soundtrack and visuals and some fun expansion on the characterisation. Wasn’t exactly swayed on it.

Then it came out and I had that big surprise that...

Spoiler

...something is trying to make sure FF7 happens again accurately...

...spoiled but didn’t think too much of it. Nice idea, maybe they get some mileage out of it.

Now I’ve got past the demo bit and I’m in to the first thirty minutes of chapter 2 and my brain is in overdrive trying to understand the implications of what I’ve just seen.

Spoiler

It’s like the bit in MGS2 where you eventually run in to Snake as Raiden and the game doesn’t do a damn thing to even acknowledge it as significant. Like, how much does this character know? Do they realise that...? But then maybe that line means...?

I was squarely (lol) placed to write this off as indulgent or fan-pandering or desperate but I am absolutely transfixed.

11 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

I bought this on disc a few months ago and am probably half-way through it. If I decide to ditch the disc and download the PS+ version, will my saves carry over? They should, right?

Yep.

Just now, Spacehost said:

Yep.

That’s good to know. I’m always a bit wary of stuff like this with Sony. There’s always the chance that what seems the most logical thing in the world won’t work.

10 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

That’s good to know. I’m always a bit wary of stuff like this with Sony. There’s always the chance that what seems the most logical thing in the world won’t work.

With a few rare exceptions all disc and digital saves are cross compatible, it's usually when someone mis-lists a title (eg there's no UK version of Fallout 4 digitally despite there being different IDs for the EU and UK disc versions, only the EU version, so you can't play a UK disc save).

2 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

I bought this on disc a few months ago and am probably half-way through it. If I decide to ditch the disc and download the PS+ version, will my saves carry over? They should, right?

I think you won't get the free PS5 upgrade in a bit though

Yes, I think the disk entitles you to the PS5 upgrade. 

Not sure what would happen to that entitlement down the line if you cross the streams and install the digital version. 

I am absolutely loving this. Will definitely need to play it through again as I'm about half way I think (just on the Collapsed Expressway) and only just getting to grips with the battle system. I just want to comment on how amazing the music is though. I was a bit sceptical initially as often when music is remade it looses some aspect of what made it so great in the first place. For example the OSTs for the FF remakes on the DS are nowhere near as good as the originals in my opinion.

With this score though it's like it's exactly the same, but also not. It sounds so new and fresh yet so familiar and nostalgic. And sometimes it even reminds me of Dreamcast-era games like PSO which is always good. 

Anyway yeah, visually it's breathtaking as well. Everything looks how I always imagined it to in my head when playing the original as a kid. Can't wait to sink some more time into it over the weekend. 

I can’t get over the music either, the track that plays on the train is this wonderful orchestral tune that nevertheless exactly captures the spirit of the PS1 original. I can’t believe that they threaded the needle on this.

3 hours ago, CGB said:

I am absolutely loving this. Will definitely need to play it through again as I'm about half way I think (just on the Collapsed Expressway) and only just getting to grips with the battle system. I just want to comment on how amazing the music is though. I was a bit sceptical initially as often when music is remade it looses some aspect of what made it so great in the first place. For example the OSTs for the FF remakes on the DS are nowhere near as good as the originals in my opinion.

With this score though it's like it's exactly the same, but also not. It sounds so new and fresh yet so familiar and nostalgic. And sometimes it even reminds me of Dreamcast-era games like PSO which is always good. 

Anyway yeah, visually it's breathtaking as well. Everything looks how I always imagined it to in my head when playing the original as a kid. Can't wait to sink some more time into it over the weekend. 

There are a few odd tracks here and there that don't have the same vibe, but then again others that are really good.

One scene that I think was actually changed for the worse by the score was bombing of the plate tower. FF7r overlays the scene with some upbeat forgettable electronic track, whilst the OG it's just quiet and gives the scene room to breath.

On 07/03/2021 at 22:33, Monkeyspill said:

Yeah don’t do that if you’re a PS5 player. I’m intentionally not installing the free PS+ version that I’m entitled to because I’m waiting for the Integrade update in June, which I’ll need a disc (or paid-for digital download) to access.

I’ve already waited this long, and had hoped it would be on PS+ some day. Now that it is, they tell me that version can’t be upgraded :( 

Was hoping copies of the disc would be going cheap since it had gone to PS+ but the imminent Intergrade update has royally summoned Ifrit and fucked that burning right into the bin :( 

2 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Yeah don’t do that if you’re a PS5 player. I’m intentionally not installing the free PS+ version that I’m entitled to because I’m waiting for the Integrade update in June, which I’ll need a disc (or paid-for digital download) to access.

I’ve already waited this long, and had hoped it would be on PS+ some day. Now that it is, they tell me that version can’t be upgraded :( 

Was hoping copies of the disc would be going cheap since it had gone to PS+ but the imminent Intergrade update has royally summoned Ifrit and fucked that burning right into the bin :( 

But couldn’t you just reinstall the disc version when intergrade is available?

I don’t have a PS5 yet but intend to get one (when they’re actually possible to buy!).

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

Is this coming out on Xbox eventually?

They have never said its not. 

And it was announced as a timed exclusive when first shown. 

But no word has been said since if its coming to xbox or PC. 

Would love some clarification as I would much rather play on xbox than on PS5. 

I just started this, to see if I could add it to the list of "only games that begin with the letter F" that my son plays.

I'M LIVING IN THE FUTURE!!!

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.a719996d053051f1b28f94be5e64c7f9.png

Edited by SeanR
added clouds and barretts

Stupid PlayStation. Had to delete my install and re download from the store so I can play using PS Plus licence rather than my disc which isn’t here :lol: 

On 26/02/2021 at 06:06, Unofficial Who said:

So my wife out of the blue said, "So we need a PS5. And a 4K tv. Very soon."

What bought this on? The new FF7 Remake trailer for PS5. With the new episode. (Warning, contains spoilers for Remake obviously.)

She's currently setting up alerts for PS5 stock so I guess this is happening.

Hah, I have literally just started a play through of the original on Switch, and completed the reactor attack. That flip off the train and superhero pose landing... was surprisingly effective in the original, despite it now looking primitive as hell.

But yeah,  Cloud's a pretty boy through and through in this new version, alright.

What do people reckon to playing this first, with my only experiende of Final Fantasy being a playthrough of 15, and maybe an hour or two of the original FF7 on the PSP a decade ago. 

I'm tempted by a JRPG and there's this on Plus, and DQ11 on Gamepass. I feel like this one might have a faster pace and be more respectful of my time.

My dilemma is that the original FF7 is on the Switch for £6 now. Not sure whether to just get that, though that would probably postpone playing this Remake for a year or two at least. 

What would people generally recommend? I know of FF7's general plot and the big spoiler, and I'm always aware of how closely Remake follows this. 

It’s all about the thrill of the new @Parksey - Remake now, FF VII on Switch later, when you’re on your summer holiday somewhere in the U.K. later in the year and need a distraction. 

(Assuming you’re playing the standard version that came with Plus, otherwise you should wait for the graphical upgrade that’s coming to the paid version.)

Yeah I would go with that. It's not a short game by any means but still way more pacey than a Dragons Quest game. You've seen at least some of the relevant bit of the original game anyway.