Final Fantasy VII Remake

I wouldn’t bother playing the original at all but then it was interesting and fun seeing the locations and characters in super 3D.

...but that effect will be much weaker unless you have many years of experience with the first game , so maybe skip it.

I'm about six hours in to this and I've started chapter 4. Completely on board with it. There's a cocktail of reverence and irreverence here that I would not have imagined was possible in the AAA space, much less in a game with so much riding on it conceptually.

On 15/03/2021 at 04:36, Parksey said:

What do people reckon to playing this first, with my only experiende of Final Fantasy being a playthrough of 15, and maybe an hour or two of the original FF7 on the PSP a decade ago. 

I'm tempted by a JRPG and there's this on Plus, and DQ11 on Gamepass. I feel like this one might have a faster pace and be more respectful of my time.

My dilemma is that the original FF7 is on the Switch for £6 now. Not sure whether to just get that, though that would probably postpone playing this Remake for a year or two at least. 

What would people generally recommend? I know of FF7's general plot and the big spoiler, and I'm always aware of how closely Remake follows this. 

I'd just jump into the old one first.

Remember that the Remake covers only about the first 5 hours of the OG FF7.

Play those 5 hours, it will give you all the context you need.

It's a good game in its own right.

If you really enjoy it you have ages to get through the rest before Remake Part 2 releases.

Those 5-6 hours are iconic within gaming, worth a night or two going through for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

I got this for free and played it for a couple of hours, I thought it was unbearable. The combat is ghastly, I’d be tempted to put it on easy or whatever and just blaze through it but I deleted it already.

Didn’t even get to meet Tifa! Did the stupid scorpion boss and got bored on the way out. 

3 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

I got this for free and played it for a couple of hours, I thought it was unbearable. The combat is ghastly, I’d be tempted to put it on easy or whatever and just blaze through it but I deleted it already.

Didn’t even get to meet Tifa! Did the stupid scorpion boss and got bored on the way out. 

The combat improves as you level up and learn more stuff. 

17 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

You didn't go for "classic" with combat did you? It's the worst of all worlds. Worth playing on easy then ramping the difficulty up. I got a good 40 hours out of this just for the story. My partner who is more into systems loves this game and has spent over 300 hours playing and replaying it.

30 hours to finish it of which 10 hours are cutscenes and probably another 2 hours are forced waking between cutscenes.

There's a scene in Futurama where Fry plans how he's going to take someone down and just before he does Leela leaps in disguised and does it. Fry says "Hey, I'm pretty good!"

This is "Hey I'm pretty good!" the game.  So many times a cutscene contained something that should have been gameplay.  Like in the first escape from the sewers, a load of enemies turn up, Cloud tells the others to run and turns to face them...

... then he hits one of them and runs himself.

That should have been a fight!

I didn't not enjoy it, I liked the world and everything but christ did I spend a lot of the last half browsing twitter while a cut scene happened.

I actually found out how many cutscenes from an "All the cutscenes" youtube.  Eurogamer has done almost all of both I think, they paused the original when they couldn't go to the office.

I do have a spoiler FF7R question though.

Spoiler

So it seems to be setting up some sort of Mass Effect style romance thing, not least by allowing you to agree to dates with Tifa and Jessie on the same night. 

It then literally never mentions this again and then kills of Jessie.  Does that choice to say yes to Jessie make any difference beyond the next line of dialog?

I've just finished this, great game but

ENDING SPOILERS

Spoiler

Is it just me, or does the game do a really bad job of explaining what Sephiroth is doing, and the gang's motivation for going after him? It's shown that Cloud has a previous relationship with him, and I vaguely recall some character making a reference to him having died early on, but then he shows up at the end, Aerith says some waffle about him being the real threat to the world without explaining why, then the team go all in on stopping him from doing.... something?

This isn't anything to do with the whispers and changing destiny thing, I think that idea is really cool and has left me hyped for future games and the Yuffie DLC. However, it feels like they made the game, then thought there wasn't enough Sephiroth, so shoehorned some more in at the end in a way that wasn't organic, and poorly explained. It leaves our familiarity with the original to do a lot of heavy lifting to fill in the gaps.

I’m still just picking away at this and I’m surprised at how well they’ve captured a lot of the vibe of the Midgar section of the original game, even little side trips to find bonus Materia. I’m in chapter 6 and Barrett commenting on whether you’re currently on the main path or have taken a detour is such a lovely quality of life thing.

I found that really easy.  The thing I was expecting to see in the spoiler was

Spoiler

That fucking wheeled boss shortly before it that ends with a section that will 1 hit you unless you know about it in advance and get it exactly right and then send you back 20 minutes when it does.

Which was the point I gave up and started pre-googling bosses.

37 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I found that really easy.  The thing I was expecting to see in the spoiler was

Reveal hidden contents

That fucking wheeled boss shortly before it that ends with a section that will 1 hit you unless you know about it in advance and get it exactly right and then send you back 20 minutes when it does.

Which was the point I gave up and started pre-googling bosses.

I think I was just approaching it wrong and also

Spoiler

I didn’t understand the controls. I was just piling in, not braking or guarding.

The biggest flaw for me with bosses is that you can only use assess when you’re already fighting them, and then find out you’ve got the wrong materia equipped so have to either struggle through or reload.

That is a huge pain in the back side @Monkeyspill, agreed. This version of the game requires much more tactical use of materia to exploit elemental weaknesses, and so on, to the point where if you go into battle with the wrong setup you die pretty quickly. Something for the developers to iron out in the second part, when it comes. 

I’m also still plugging away at it, and still enjoying it. I’ve just completed the sewers/train graveyard, which was far too long and in need of breaking up a bit with something other than dungeon crawling, but it’s done now. 

I don't think it's an issue that you can start a battle with the wrong set up. It's all about figuring it out after all, and not just the elemental weakness.

I would like all bosses to have an option to do a quick restart with a chance to dive into the menus first, though. Would definitely save some time.

A couple of other thoughts which occur to me, as I continue my playthrough:

Over the course of a month I’ve put in over 25 hours, which is as much as a game has grabbed me since Last of Us Part 2, so it’s doing a lot of things right. 

Battles are quite hard, with a lot happening simultaneously for the player to keep track of. No bad thing per say, but one quite mean-spirited thing I hope they drop in the future - if you spend an ATB gauge on an action and are interrupted by an enemy’s attack, you both fail to execute the action and lose the ATMB gauge. Harsh!

I’d like to say I wish the game didn’t have to rely on the original sound track, but the new (presumably non-Uematsu) tracks are entirely unmemorable - to the point where, for example, Aeris’ theme will kick in and the emotional engagement of the scene will suddenly kick into high gear. They probably should have just stuck to updating the original music exclusively, the new stuff isn’t good. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Timmo said:

Is there one expected?

They haven't announced one, but it makes sense for them to do so - how many people are going to splash out on a full copy of FFVII for PS5 when they have the PS4 edition? A paid upgrade option at some point seems like a no brainer to me.