Final Fantasy VII Remake

Just now, Alex W. said:

I mean, what’s stopping you buying the cheap PS4 version and using its free upgrade rather than waiting for a paid upgrade or the expensive PS5 version?

I genuinely think you can't actually do this if you 'own' a game via Plus. It's a weird quirk. 

I guess you could buy it from the store of another region. 

1 hour ago, AlexM said:

They haven't announced one, but it makes sense for them to do so - how many people are going to splash out on a full copy of FFVII for PS5 when they have the PS4 edition? A paid upgrade option at some point seems like a no brainer to me. 

They specifically said the PS Plus version cannot be upgraded to the PS5 version.

I haven’t finished the game yet, should I be watching that video? I watched the first few seconds and it didn’t look familiar, but then I have a bad memory. 

You’re a good man Alan. I’m actually at the bike chase out of Shinra HQ, and was told in no uncertain terms that I had to “turn that shit off” by the boss so he could watch a randomly chosen waste of time on Netflix. So I assume I’m near the end now. 

I’m about 2 hours on from my last post, and here are my thoughts:

Spoiler

FUCK OFF!

I felt pretty aggrieved at having fought through 4 or 5 forms of the Bloody Annoying Ghost Trio, only to be twatted at the end and have to repeat the whole fucking thing again - cutscenes and all - I am absolutely furious at having battled Sephiroph for a further 30 minutes, weathering his array of uninterruptible, unblockable, cheating arsehole attacks - including the ‘lol, 1hp for everyone’ bullshit THREE FUCKING TIMES - and got him down to a sliver of health… only to die and have the game reload back to 2 hours ago. 2 hours of my life wasted on that garbage.

I clicked ‘reload to last battle’ and there seemed to be 2 options. I don’t know. The game has never done this before. I just clicked through on auto-pilot. I guess one of the options was ‘fight Sephiroth again’ and the other was ‘go back to 2 hours ago lolololol u looser’. 

Fucking furious. Needless to say, I haven’t made any progress since my last post. 

And finished. Final battle frustrations notwithstanding, I really enjoyed that. The battle system is so confusing at first, but reveals itself to have layers of strategy and is great fun. I do wish the game wouldn’t cancel your attacks, eg when the enemy is doing uninterruptible animation, where your attack just doesn’t happen but you’re still charged the spent ATB/MP - that’s completely unfair, and I hope it’s fixed going forward, but it’s infrequent enough not to spoil things. 

Curious ending. Looking forward to seeing where it goes next. 

Playing the unenhanced version that came with PS Plus, I’m completely bowled over by how fantastic it looks. Square really are showing other developers how to do facial and motion capture animation, whatever budget they spent on it (which must be huge) was money well spent. 

Good stuff. Very very very good stuff. 

It is an exceptional game. The fact we got any remake in the first place is a miracle in itself, let alone a good one. I'm hankering for an Xbox release...

46 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

I do hope PS4 owners will get the chance to play the Integrade expansion at one point though.

Especially since PS5's will be in short supply for the next 12 months (with local stock here being grabbed immediately by scalpers.)

• 4 weeks later...

It's free isn't it.

EDIT:

Those who own Final Fantasy 7 Remake on PS4 can upgrade to the PS5 version of the game for free – for both the digital and physical versions. In addition, all your save data from the PS4 version will carry across to the enhanced version. However, there are some caveats.

The first is that the PS4 owners who upgrade to the PS5 version for free will have to purchase the Yuffie episode separately (price TBC) – so they aren't technically getting Intergrade, just the PS5 upgrade. 

It's also worth noting that this free upgrade only applies to those who actually bought the game and so those who have claimed it as part of PS Plus' March offering will not be eligible for the PS5 upgrade.