Final Fantasy VII Remake

56 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

I guess maybe if you have the disc? Not sure if you can purchase games you already own through PSN. I think gamepass has a "buy to keep" button.

yeah it won’t let you buy it. It’s a complete mess. Do we blame Sony or Square?

Yeah that's what I done. I'd claimed the PS+ version but never played it. Bought 2nd hand copy of the disc & installed that. Was able to get the upgrade then delete the PS4 version. Had to clear 200Gb+ on the HDD to do it though, bizarre. It does warn you that you'll still need the disc to play and you have to make sure you start the correct version from the "3 dots"

I'll be getting this soon. Anyone know how long the DLC is supposed to be, assuming you do most of the stuff in it? With the PS5 version I'm tempted to carry on my Hard playthrough of the main game as well.

It seems substantial. I'm still on the first of two chapters and have played 5 hours. But I have been doing everything. Could easily have got to where I am now in about 2 hours if I'd stuck to the main quest line.

Damn. Hard Mode is hard. It’s awesome in enforcing all the aspects of the battle system, but not being able to use items is brutal. 😅

The Huntsman killed me twice with his brutal combo and I was level 50!

19 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Damn. Hard Mode is hard. It’s awesome in enforcing all the aspects of the battle system, but not being able to use items is brutal. 😅

The Huntsman killed me twice with his brutal combo and I was level 50!

In would not recommend playing in hard. After finishing the original game on normal there are more than a as couple of spots that would be far too annoying

So my YouTube recommended feed this morning highlighted to me that Intergrade has an extended ending, which I wasn't aware of.

It's quite something.

ALARMINGLY MEGA SPOILERS.

Spoiler

Getting your PS4 save file over to PS5 for this game is a massive joke. PSN lets you upload saved data for all your games to the cloud, and so on PS5 you just grab that data and voila; all your save games are there. But oh no, not this game. 

For some inexplicable reason you have to go to your PS4 and upload your FFVII Remake save from within the game. Why?? So first to play FFVII Remake on PS5 I had to download and install 80+ gig on my PS5 - which took over 4 hours. Then because it wasn't installed on my PS4 any more, I had to reinstall the game on that console - so another 4 hour download/install just to go into the game, select a save file to upload and move a few mb of save file. Then go into the PS5 version of the game and download it in there. So stupid. 

So even though the save data is technically all there in the cloud and can be downloaded thanks to PSN, the game won't recognise it unless you go through the special 'export' process from the PS4 version. What a massive pain in the arse. Imagine if I'd already sold my PS4, I could have lost my save data altogether. Worst PS5 upgrade experience ever.

5 hours ago, Qazimod said:

@tnman - it might be worth sharing in the below thread, since that had a lot of post-game discussion

Thread:

That thread is now like trying to read a redacted CIA document when the poster who had such a bee in his bonnet about the game left the forum and deleted all his posts on the way out.

Totally forgot the PS5 update is out. 

I claimed the PS+ version and played for an hour before realising I should wait for the 60fps mode. I’m also a cheapskate and won’t be paying £60 for the PS5 version. Seems like my best bet is to delete the PS+ version and buy a disc PS4 version and upgrade that for £9? I have no issues with using the disc each time. 

50 minutes ago, Nosejam said:

Totally forgot the PS5 update is out. 

I claimed the PS+ version and played for an hour before realising I should wait for the 60fps mode. I’m also a cheapskate and won’t be paying £60 for the PS5 version. Seems like my best bet is to delete the PS+ version and buy a disc PS4 version and upgrade that for £9? I have no issues with using the disc each time. 

If you buy the disc PS4 version the upgrade is free . Minus the Yuffie dlc

Transferring PS4>PS5 save woes aside, the Yuffie DLC is good fun. It's pretty lighthearted and I like Yuffie and her pals. The content is a bit story light as you might expect with more of a focus on combat areas and a retread of the slums from the original game. The music is brilliant as ever, the transition to the combat music is pumping with some of the tracks. It's also nice to see briefly some of the original cast members, as well as a nice little bonus ending featuring the main cast and hinting of things to come. It does introduce a few new characters and plant some seeds for future plot points as well. 

Combat with Yuffie is fast and fluid and actually quite tough to begin with. There were a few difficulty spikes for me even on normal, and don't get me started on the box mini game (which I had to look at a guide to learn some critical info that's not explained about how one of the abilities work). But overall its more FF7, I wish there had been more character stuff but happy enough with what we got.

And it looks great on PS5 of course. 60 FPS takes a bit of getting used to but the graphics are lovely. The texture improvements and even better lighting is definitely noticeable. I also did Chapter 2 of the main game and the graphical improvement is a nice step up, the lighting is gorgeous.

Overall I think its worth getting the DLC but don't expect too much. Can't wait for the next game, this really whet my appetite for it, but its still going to be years away :(

Is the DLC a separate thing (selection on title screen) or is it built into the story? 

Bought it for PS5 for £40 and looking forward to starting it. 

15 minutes ago, Ry said:

Is the DLC a separate thing (selection on title screen) or is it built into the story? 

Bought it for PS5 for £40 and looking forward to starting it. 

It runs in parallel to the main story and has been its own title screen page and saves.

Really enjoying the Yuffie DLC myself, the combat is surprisingly tough (button bashers take a hike) and Fort Condor is a great little minigame.

Also loving how much of a dork she is, like everyone else who isn't a villain in the game.

1 hour ago, Spacehost said:

Really enjoying the Yuffie DLC myself, the combat is surprisingly tough (button bashers take a hike) and Fort Condor is a great little minigame.

Also loving how much of a dork she is, like everyone else who isn't a villain in the game.

Thanks, I'll not bother. I strongly disliked - you might even say hated - the voice acting/writing in the base game. At times it felt like the Quirky Olympics: who can be the most awkward/random at any given situation.

I’ve only played the original* but they’re definitely guilty of, er, over-acting? I don’t really mind though - you kind of have to be prepared to go “lol JRPGs am I right?” and deal with it.

*EDIT: I’ve only played the original Remake and not Integrade, is what I meant. I have played the original FFVII as well.

Christ.

Again, it feels very faithful to the spirit of the original character to me. I think they've nailed that with all the main party in the Remake so far.

True, that may be a bit weird now they're visible in life-like detail, more fleshed-out and fully voiced, but for me it's spot on. Yuffie can be bratty and annoying. Yuffie was always bratty and annoying.

Glad you enjoy it :) 

35 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I’ve only played the original but they’re definitely guilty of, er, over-acting? I don’t really mind though - you kind of have to be prepared to go “lol JRPGs am I right?” and deal with it.

I played Person 4 Golden and Ni No Kuni, both had a fantastic localisation in my opinion. Not flawless but at least believable and inoffensive. Both JRPGs developed by Japanese studios with the localisation done by western companies. FF7R reads and sounds like SE insisted the localisation followed the Japanese template to the letter.

But this is not the thread for this. Glad you lot enjoy(ed) it :)