Final Fantasy VII Remake

I think they are releasing it episodic because they need the money to finance the production. Because it is Square Enix & they have a history of not completing what they set out to do (Deus Ex Mankind Divided) I'm going to wait for both parts to be released.

4 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Episodic release would be crap. I’d prefer if the they held it back and we got a complete game later in the year. 

That would probably add a few more years on, knowing Square Enix. 

43 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That's all I ever wanted. That's always what I envisioned a FF7 remake to be: the same isometric view, the same maps, the same damn game - just with brand new gorgeous HD art assets. And a bit of polishing up here and there, some QOL improvements. Not whatever this is, this episodic mess that could just as well be called Cloud May Cry: Too Final Too Fantasy

That's all anyone ever wanted. No one asked for this, did they? I'd add a bit of re-plotting and re-scripting here and there, perhaps, but that's all.

This was basically an open goal for Square Enix, but they instead decided to make a completely new goal that cost millions to build about a mile away from the existing one, and then kick the ball in the opposite direction. 

10 hours ago, Alex W. said:

March 2020. There's going to be some pretty significant narrative changes, I think.

It still looks to me like actions will be on cooldowns and bigger moves may take more time. At the lower-left at 0:13 and 0:29 the "pulses" look like the time taken for an action to be available, and someone's just button mashing.

I also wonder if damage scaling would have helped the real-time combat feel less mashy. Say you're playing the original and Cloud's level and gear is such that a basic attack does 64 damage. But when you're in the remake, you could mash the attack button but damage scaling would kick in, and subsequent hits would do less damage; the first would do 32 damage, the next 16, then 8, 4, 2, 1, 0, 0, 0... which is when you'd wait for a cooldown.

Alternatively - imagine if they had a trailer where someone presses the circle button and the action freezes while you pick a command from a menu...

24 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Imagine if they had a trailer where someone presses the circle button and the action freezes while you pick a command from a menu...

I think there would be applause all around.

It looks wonderful, but I’m definitely disappointed that it’s only Midgar. Even if it’s massively expanded 90% of the plot happens after Midgar, so there’s going to be a huge amount of wheel spinning.

It does look better than expected, but I'm far from convinced. I can see the combat working, although hacking away at every enemy to build up an action meter could get tiresome (what's Cloud's sword made of, cardboard?). More than that, it feels like they've made too much of the Midgar section and the characters and story elements already look less interesting.

53 minutes ago, Pixelbark said:

Can you pick 6 random numbers between 1 and 49 for me please.

I knew people were fretting over nothing :P The way it works is still kind of unusual but I’m glad it’s there in some form...

I think it’s going to be a completely new version of the same overall story, probably quite a lot shorter and hitting a few familiar beats. Not so much a remake as a reboot. Honestly I’m relieved, as my worst case scenario for this was trying to retell FF7 accurately using HD graphics and them having to cancel it at about Nibelheim. I’m not sold on it yet but I think this is the right approach creatively.

Why is everyone saying the whole game is Midgar?

Now I've heard it will be episodic but go no indication from the conference that it would be. Rather that they're will be two discs and the first disc will be Midgar?

I'm very confused by it all, they don't seem to be forthcoming about the project especially with it being 9 months away.

Is the exclusive DLC summon the only one given you don't get summons until you leave Midgar?

I really have more questions how they handle the open world - doing linear dungeons is the easy bit, how do they make a game of mostly wilderness trecking and driving interesting, given the mixed reception to FFXV?

3 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Is the exclusive DLC summon the only one given you don't get summons until you leave Midgar?

I really have more questions how they handle the open world - doing linear dungeons is the easy bit, how do they make a game of mostly wilderness trecking and driving interesting, given the mixed reception to FFXV?

I don't believe the mixed reception for XV was anything to do with the open world aspects. XII/XIV also manage to do an open world quite sucsessfully.