rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Exclusive summon material for the special editions is very cynical but I can't say that orchestrated version of the battle theme didn't win me over.

I’m very excited, but how long is this game going to be? If it’s two discs worth of Midgar who long does it take to complete? How much will it cost? When’s the next part?

I think it’s going to be a completely new version of the same overall story, probably quite a lot shorter and hitting a few familiar beats. Not so much a remake as a reboot. Honestly I’m relieved, as my worst case scenario for this was trying to retell FF7 accurately using HD graphics and them having to cancel it at about Nibelheim. I’m not sold on it yet but I think this is the right approach creatively.

Why is everyone saying the whole game is Midgar?

Now I've heard it will be episodic but go no indication from the conference that it would be. Rather that they're will be two discs and the first disc will be Midgar?

I'm very confused by it all, they don't seem to be forthcoming about the project especially with it being 9 months away.

Is the exclusive DLC summon the only one given you don't get summons until you leave Midgar?

I really have more questions how they handle the open world - doing linear dungeons is the easy bit, how do they make a game of mostly wilderness trecking and driving interesting, given the mixed reception to FFXV?

3 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Is the exclusive DLC summon the only one given you don't get summons until you leave Midgar?

I really have more questions how they handle the open world - doing linear dungeons is the easy bit, how do they make a game of mostly wilderness trecking and driving interesting, given the mixed reception to FFXV?

I don't believe the mixed reception for XV was anything to do with the open world aspects. XII/XIV also manage to do an open world quite sucsessfully.

• Upvote 1

My faith in this has been very slightly restored with the new trailer and the evidence to suggest that you can use materia and go around talking to people.

It all seems a bit too po faced and emo for some of the goofier stuff, however.

I wonder how much that first class edition is...

Edit: $329, apparently :rolleyes:

So what's the deal? It's only midgar only? No episodic games?

Surely it would say episode 1 if there were going to be more.

Just now, Darhkwing said:

So what's the deal? It's only midgar only? No episodic games?

Surely it would say episode 1 if there were going to be more.

Square have confirmed in interviews that it's still episodic and that this is episode 1 which focuses on Midgar exclusively.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jamie John said:

Square have confirmed in interviews that it's still episodic and that this is episode 1 which focuses on Midgar exclusively.

Cool okay - i guess not having episode 1 on the box is a bit confusing.

Problem is i recall reading that a large percentage of players don't finish RPGs. So what happens when episode 2 comes out? I wouldn't bother buying it, unless i finished the previous part - especially if you need your save file to progress.

Then that's bullshit then because how is it on two discs then? That's a massive game for Midgar which wasn't a huge portion of the game. Then to charge $300+ for a special edition in which you only get a third of a game is taking the piss.

28 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Cool okay - i guess not having episode 1 on the box is a bit confusing.

Problem is i recall reading that a large percentage of players don't finish RPGs. So what happens when episode 2 comes out? I wouldn't bother buying it, unless i finished the previous part - especially if you need your save file to progress.

I'd be willing to make a wager this project never even manages to get to stuff like the snow town after your average punter has had their fill after Midgard and subsequent chapters are diminishing returns.

• Upvote 1

I look forward to playing this (and even enjoying it!), then waiting 18 months for part two, then when it finally comes out, it's Kalm (including the Nibelheim flashback), then the Chocobo Farm and the Midgar Zolom. And that's it. Another 18 months till part 3! Which is cancelled due to poor sales of part 2.

• Upvote 2

As some people have said before, the initial Midgar section may be the best part of the game. Its the part i remember the most.

I'm a little more optimistic after the trailer, but the episodic nature is going to be torture.

I think I’ll just get the original on Switch. 

Wake me up if this turns out to be the second coming. 

I think it looks wicked. I've long said that they should do something different gameplay-wise, because if I want to play FFVII as I remember it I already have a wealth of options. Give me the same story and characters but a new experience and I'm way more interested.

• Upvote 2

Midgar to Kalm might be the best section of the game, but part of that is because it's a perfectly paced 6-8 hours. It's a nice opening act to establish the characters, factions and world, setting up the more typical RPG structure that follows. I can't see it as a standalone game, and it looks like it'll be padded out with pointless plot and character details and a battle system that will drag after a while, as you slash away with that massive sword doing chip damage to build up any kind of effective attack.

I'm back to thinking this looks like a complete wrong turn.

• Upvote 3

Actual gameplay looks much more appealing then i thought they would manage. I think the whole thing looks really good, can't wait. 

5 minutes ago, Sabreman said:

I think it looks wicked. I've long said that they should do something different gameplay-wise, because if I want to play FFVII as I remember it I already have a wealth of options. Give me the same story and characters but a new experience and I'm way more interested.

The problem is that they're clearly not doing that. They've been working on it for years and all they've come up with is a Midgar section that for some reason they've massively changed and fleshed out. There's no chance in hell that they're going to be doing the entire original game with all its areas and plot points. I think huge swathes of the original are going to be drastically re-worked, or cut entirely.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, The Fox said:

The problem is that they're clearly not doing that. They've been working on it for years and all they've come up with is a Midgar section that for some reason they've massively changed and fleshed out. There's no chance in hell that they're going to be doing the entire original game with all its areas and plot points. I think huge swathes of the original are going to be drastically re-worked, or cut entirely.

It's a long time since I've played FF7, so I could be shaky on the details, but I'm almost 100% sure there's a bit with a Lion thing that's basically Simba's dad out of the Lion King and he turns to stone and then the stone lion cries a single sparkly tear.

They could cut that.

I'd be fine with it.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 3

Just now, cohen205 said:

No Don Corneo in the trailer either.... 

The 'dress Cloud up as a girl' bit and subsequent Honeybee Inn homoerotic weirdness was never likely to make it in, let's be honest.