rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Final Fantasy VII Remake

18 minutes ago, Sabreman said:

I don't think they'll cut the Don Corneo stuff at all.

I just hope the Chocobo Dance makes it

• Upvote 3

Yeah there’s no way this is ever getting finished. Even if I’m up for paying £60 every five years for something that won’t finish until I’m in my fifties, I can’t imagine enough people being willing to pay for this to keep it going.

25 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Square have totally lost the point of what fans wanted, we do not what a three-part £180 game.

Thats optimistic. This first “game” is less than half of the first disc. You’re looking at 6-8 £60 parts easily, it could end up costing you £500.

• Upvote 2

What's interesting to me is that if this had a completely different name and we had no memory of FFVII, it would be perceived as a standard 20-30 hour experience for the cost of a standard full-price game, rather than a fraction of a full game sold at full price. Would newer gamers without that preconception have a better time?

Another weird thing is that in the time that passes between "episodes" there will probably be new engines and assets, new hardware platforms, and possibly new staff, or changes to the organisation at Square. Could they maintain consistency between updates, and at the same time stay on top of technology trends and shifts in culture?

• Upvote 2

They did state on announcement that this would be very much a modern reworking so I suppose there was plenty of warning! It's looking pretty astonishing in the production value stakes so I'm up for a full price FFVII chapter every 12-36 months if they're hitting that level of quality and covering all the major story beats (Assuming it's as good to play as it looks too). 

How the hell Cait Sith fits into all this I'd love to see!

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Ran said:

They did state on announcement that this would be very much a modern reworking so I suppose there was plenty of warning! It's looking pretty astonishing in the production value stakes so I'm up for a full price FFVII chapter every 12-36 months if they're hitting that level of quality and covering all the major story beats (Assuming it's as good to play as it looks too). 

How the hell Cait Sith fits into all this I'd love to see!

A commitment to release every year I could possibly live with. But it's taken 4 years to get it to here. Using an existing engine, and a storyline and dialogue and music that is already written.  I have no confidence at all that they would release part two within 5 years.

• Upvote 1

Just now, PeteBrant said:

A commitment to release every year I could possibly live with. But it's taken 4 years to get it to here. Using an existing engine, and a storyline that is already written.  I have no confidence at all that they would release part two within 5 years.

The engine was existing for sure but they would have been reworking it to be structured for this release (combat system / materia / ATB etc) and they've effectively restarted development after taking it in house too. 12 months is probably a stupidly optimistic assessment I agree but there should be a great deal more generating content and slotting it together from this point on. If they're organised and have a solid plan for the whole saga I don't think a second part releasing in another 2 years is insane. (Not that I am supremely confident of it either)

If it meets their expectations I think they'll throw the kitchen sink at it to turnaround the rest of the content and release in a timely fashion, the issue being their sales targets are probably eye-wateringly impossible.

Honestly considering how much old RPG's relied on abstraction to make their worlds seem big the idea that something like Midgar is big enough to become its own game when fully fleshed out doesn't seem that farfetched to me. The original game didn't let you explore very much of Midgar, it just felt bigger than it actually was. In the context of aiming for a full remake they are foolish for going ahead with this expansion but I guess they wanted Midgar to be an actual metropolis now as opposed to just posing as one.

There's no video game company on earth big enough to completely remake final fantasy 7 as one game in modern AAA standards while fleshing out all of its abstraction. Turning the world map into a to-scale open world will actually be ridiculous if they go ahead with it.

In design terms remaking FF7 in the way many wish for is, if you would pardon the pun, a fantasy. It'd have to make some smart cuts which sadly square can't do because they have the expectation of always needing to be on the cutting edge of video game technology, a hole they unfortunately dug for themselves back on the PS1.

• Upvote 1

Is there any indication that this version of Midgar is actually explorable (open or otherwise)?

'Cos it's only gonna be corridors and cutscenes, surely?

EDIT: I mean, even that would require more detail than the original's flat background plates (being able to see the skyline and surrounding areas from any location, even if it is smoke and mirrors, is a lot of work to build). But no way will this be a fully fleshed out megacity.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

What's interesting to me is that if this had a completely different name and we had no memory of FFVII, it would be perceived as a standard 20-30 hour experience for the cost of a standard full-price game, rather than a fraction of a full game sold at full price. Would newer gamers without that preconception have a better time?

Probably, if you told me the new FF game was a cyberpunk one set it one city I think I’d be hyped.

15 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

Is there any indication that this version of Midgar is actually explorable (open or otherwise)?

'Cos it's only gonna be corridors and cutscenes, surely?

This worries me. What are they doing with all that disc space?

6 minutes ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

I'll wait for the GOTY edition in 2030. I hate playing a game with an unfinished story (see Half Life 2)

And Deus Ex Mankind Divided which was published by Square Enix.

Just now, Broker said:

FMV

1 hour ago, Broker said:

Tifa's boobs 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

A commitment to release every year I could possibly live with. But it's taken 4 years to get it to here. Using an existing engine, and a storyline and dialogue and music that is already written.  I have no confidence at all that they would release part two within 5 years.

I keep saying this but I think the biggest surprise will be how little of the storyline, dialogue and music makes it across in one piece. It’s likely a whole new game telling a story that will only resemble the one we know. Probably it has to be to justify the kind of resources involved in making a modern 3D version of a game most of its casual audience will have met with the thought “I didn’t know they made games this big”.

This is me trying to be fair to them but there is no way this will be less than a couple of years between instalments. They will position this as their Star Wars, revamping a beloved saga for a new generation. I won’t be surprised if - assuming the whole project doesn’t crash down around itself - we get spin-offs and anime telling parts of the story for the lull years, and mini-games that exist only as mobile apps. 

3 hours ago, Broker said:

4k cutscenes take up a lot of space

What's interesting to me is that if this had a completely different name and we had no memory of FFVII, it would be perceived as a standard 20-30 hour experience for the cost of a standard full-price game, rather than a fraction of a full game sold at full price.

Where have they said it’s 20-30 hours? The original is like 6 to 8

3 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Where have they said it’s 20-30 hours? The original is like 6 to 8

And this is going to be a straight reproduction of the original? Or will they add new areas (even just a texture for a door in the original becoming an actual door that goes somewhere) with optional content/sidequests that we haven't seen in trailers yet?

Besides, you've missed my point entirely - the association with the original game leads us to assess the content of the remake as a quantity of that original game; if that association wasn't there and it was Random Eco-Terrorist Adventure, we wouldn't be so concerned about the contents of each episode. The number of hours I used doesn't matter, but I guess I shouldn't have attached an arbitrary number if I knew people would latch on to it. :blush: 

Honestly - I think this looks ridiculously good. I love just how they've expanded out the early moments and Midgar already feels much more expansive than before. The start was always my favourite part of VII and although I finished it, my interest in the storyline faded rapidly once it became a more traditional JRPG.

Just give me this first part with a bit of a nice ending and that will more than satisfy me.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, The Fox said:

The 'dress Cloud up as a girl' bit and subsequent Honeybee Inn homoerotic weirdness was never likely to make it in, let's be honest.

9 hours ago, cohen205 said:

Why not?

6 hours ago, Sabreman said:

I don't think they'll cut the Don Corneo stuff at all.

Pretty sure there was a screenshot of it (in the remake) recently, wasn't there?

I didn't give a shit how bad or expensive or insulting this entire project becomes, I'll support it until I'm dead. It's such a formative part of mine and my brother's lives that we'll always be all in for whatever they do. The soundtrack itself is so entwined with my experience of existence that I'll be listening until I'm dead. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

I'm so close to preordering the £600 First Class Edition. I was thinking of flogging my PS4 just the other day :lol: Christ on a bike, this game.... just :wub:

Surely that should be Cloud on a Bike? :p

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, meatbin said:

In the thumbnail for that trailer it looks like Cloud and Tifa have exactly the same face.