rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Waiting for some ridiculous Collector's Edition. Preferably a Limited Edition PS4 to go with it.

I wish I was joking.

Replica command, summon, magic, support and independent materia! :D

I'm going to 100% the shit out of this game again. Despite only doing it last year for the Steam release. So fucking pumped right now.

• Upvote 2

Am I considered less of a man for having a tear in my eye after seeing Barret and Cloud, with the music playing in the background?

They really captured the hearts of people who have played the original with that trailer.

Im still in a haze.... im struggling to believe this is real.

Definitely not the only one. I rarely play long games all the way thru (time) but back int he day I did this one on release.. Ive tried many many jrpgs since and none have grabbed me like this did.

When I saw this trailer start up I recognised the locales and still thought no.. then the site of barret and cloud in front of me and THAT music tinkling away just got me. Very very few games can have that effect on me (I barely raised an eyebrow at Shenmue and The Last Guardian) but FF7? yes please! have all my money! I was considering trading on the PS4 possibly as i doesn't have the games I am interested in... but not now, I'll keep it for this

Definitely not the only one. I rarely play long games all the way thru (time) but back int he day I did this one on release.. Ive tried many many jrpgs since and none have grabbed me like this did.

When I saw this trailer start up I recognised the locales and still thought no.. then the site of barret and cloud in front of me and THAT music tinkling away just got me. Very very few games can have that effect on me (I barely raised an eyebrow at Shenmue and The Last Guardian) but FF7? yes please! have all my money! I was considering trading on the PS4 possibly as i doesn't have the games I am interested in... but not now, I'll keep it for this

I think we need a new thread on here - 'Game Trailers that make you cry'

It's all about the slide in the slums man!

CxA_Slide2-600x329.png

I recognised that straight away from the trailer - the nostalgia in this is going to blow my rose tinted spectacles into oblivion.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone said what this was about then?

https://youtu.be/v_zttcMyG1U

Was it just a massive troll?

Seems odd thing to do at a big playstation experience event... surely this remake has been underway for a while before this announcement?

I wouldn't be surprised if the negative reaction to that is what finally prompted the plans for a full remake and they canned it. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

I thought that but if they are aiming for 20th anniversary 2017 that would only give them 3 years dev time and this remake has to built from the ground up I wouldve thought?

It was a world class troll. The game would have had a couple of months in development by that point, they just had nothing to show, and it was a pretty ballsy way of testing the water in terms of reaction.

I'd love it if they put a couple of new/extra end game weapons other than ruby and emerald. Not being greedy I can't wait to take them on in hd!

Limited Edition PS4 in the shape of Emerald Weapon.

To scale, so you can actually sit in it and stomp around town.

Is there one of them for Shenmue?

I noticed that during Microsoft's conference they were leaving the crowd noise in a lot more, whereas in Sony's they were cutting it off quite quickly which was a shame. Being sat in that conference hall when Last Guardian, FF7 Remake and Shenmue 3 were announced must have been hairs on the back of your neck stuff.

Funny thing about the art style is that I always remembered it as being grim, yes, but grim in a very noir/cyberpunky way. Then a year or so ago I looked it up on youtube and was surprised at how folksy it was, more steampunk than anything. And now, from what little we see in the trailer, it looks very much more futuristic and I dare say a little cyberpunky.

So basically the remake looks like how the original looked in my head ever since I was a kid.

:)

Haha just watched that reactions video to FF7, I bet the film industry wishes it could get that kind of reaction for remakes.

Bit more info about this.

Nomura, who was a character designer on the 1997 original, is clearly excited about the prospect. "The talks about making this remake, internally it's been mentioned on and off," he told Eurogamer's Aoife Wilson in the interview. "Sometimes we think we can do it, and then sometimes we think maybe we can't. Considering some of the original staff, like Kitase, he's acting as producer, and [Kazushige] Nojima, he's doing the script - we're all getting older! If we keep going like this, the thought occurred to us that we might have to pass this on to a younger generation, without the original developers taking part. It doesn't seem like such a grand intention, but we wanted to do it with the original members."

So why has it taken 'til now for it to happen - especially as it comes relatively soon after Square Enix disappointed fans by setting up a reveal last December before announcing the PC port of the original was coming to PlayStation 4?

"When we announced the HD port, the PC port on the PS4, we weren't sure when we wanted to announce the remake," Nomura said elsewhere in the interview. "The production was underway then, so there's no real connection between the timing of the two FF7s coming to PS4. We've announced several different titles coming to the PlayStation 4 like World of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts 3."

The slow uptake of new consoles in Japan seems to be a concern, and Square Enix is making a concerted effort to make sure the PlayStation 4 is more attractive to the audience in its home country. "There's more and more titles being introduced for the platform, and we're hoping that announcing the remake of Final Fantasy 7, it'll give a boost to people wanting to buy this current generation of console. If we announced the remake after all those titles have been sold, it wouldn't have created such an impact, so that's why we decided on this timing. We wanted to reassure players that PlayStation 4 is coming out with great titles including Final Fantasy 7. That's why we decided to announce the remake."

How the new, slightly darker aesthetic sits with some of the crazier elements of the original game remains to be seen, but it seems there'll be intact. Can't wait to see the delicious sight of Cloud in a dress in glorious HD? "Please look forward to it," said Nomura as the interview came to a close.

D'you think they'll do it exactly the same with regards to scenes? I mean, camera angles on sets etc, pre-rendered backgrounds? It's bloody hard to comprehend what it's going to look like.

I absolutely love watching reaction videos to this news.

NO NO NO NO YES YES NO NO NO YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! ARGGHHHHH!!!!
  • Upvote 3

Knight of the Round took forever to get but it was the best attack in the entire game so it was worth it. You can actually grind materia levels up and set up certain builds so you can use it 20 times in a row in one turn but doing so takes forever.

• Upvote 1

D'you think they'll do it exactly the same with regards to scenes? I mean, camera angles on sets etc, pre-rendered backgrounds? It's bloody hard to comprehend what it's going to look like.

If it wasn't for the fact that it would take 20 years to make and cost infinity I'd love to see prerendered backdrops of the quality in that trailer and a 1:1 remake of the first game. The Don Conero stuff is going to be amazing.

• Upvote 1

It'll be funny when the game comes out and everyone suddenly remembers that the Don Conero section was a thing that was in the game.