rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Final Fantasy VII Remake

21 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

THE FEELS OH MY GOD THE FEELS. That music, those areas I remember like it was yesterday, THAT MUSIC.

I completely understand people wanting to talk about ledges and invisible walls in front of Cloud sized holes in fences, and 'worst characterization ever', but I can't remember the last time I felt like this seeing a game. It got to me, this really got to me.

I was right back in that game shop, where they had the CGI intro running - I was a confident Nintendo fanboy who was convinced I would never need PlayStation until I saw that and just stood there wide-eyed, jaw on the floor.

I was right back in that other game shop, later that year having scraped enough money together by getting a job in the weekends - spending it all in one go on a PS1 and FF7, running home excitedly.

I was right back to the first playthrough, mind blown all the way through having never seen such gorgeous backgrounds before. Never seen such an expansive and immersive game world before. I would play nothing else for god knows how long, restarting immediately after the first playthrough and then restarting again after the second.

Man, they got me right in the feels. Goddamn. 

You know, this is the first big budget game in a long time that has that retro feel. By that I mean you get into the game instantly despite the story happening up front. The tutorials, whilst poor don’t get in the way of the game either. The game starts as soon as you hit start, no long drawn out boring cut scene, no tutorials teaching you how to walk and duck, just straight into the game.

6 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

And a memory card, right?

For the love of all that is right and pure please tell me you bought a memory card?!

Yes. I think I bought two memory cards in fact. Tomb Raider was the pack-in game btw, but by that point I had already rinsed Mario 64 so I was like wtf is this shit :lol:

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Is everything in real-time in the demo? Opening cinematic included?

No. Cinematics are pre-done, but they transition reasonably well gameplay via brief fades to black. If you're on a HDR TV you may notice the difference. According to Evil Boris the cinematics are graded for the much lower peak brightness of normal tellys (300 nits for anyone wondering) while the gameplay is properly graded at the higher peak brightness of HDR TVs (1000 nits in this game). 

It's way too early to know if the cinematics will have proper HDR grading when released, but I wouldn't bet on it.

• Empathy 1

Played through it a second time as I missed barret singing the victory fanfare the first time around :wub:

Digital Thoroundry.

The demo is quite old, isn't it?

As far as HDR goes, in terms of successful implementation of it in games (from what I've experienced, personally) I'm not sure I'm not that HDRsed about it.

I'm sure it's great when it's done well. But the last time I was worried abou nits, it was a hair-based issue.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, gospvg said:

With classic mode I put the pad down and all the battles played themselves. It’s disappointing, I’ll be sticking with normal mode.

I see it as like the auto mode in Persona 4: it’ll probably rinse the random encounters for you but you need to override it with strategy and key actions on important encounters against rare enemies or bosses. (Which felt like the game really respecting my time and intellect instead of my capacity for drudgery.)

Now that I think about it, I wish there was a way to have the Normal battle difficulty with Classic gameplay. Is there any word of that for the full release?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I see it as like the auto mode in Persona 4: it’ll probably rinse the random encounters for you but you need to override it with strategy and key actions on important encounters against rare enemies or bosses. (Which felt like the game really respecting my time and intellect instead of my capacity for drudgery.)

Now that I think about it, I wish there was a way to have the Normal battle difficulty with Classic gameplay. Is there any word of that for the full release?

In the demo can you switch out the difficulty via settings? Or is it only the option at the start? Good shout on the Persona auto mode I forgot about that!

Nope, not for me. I’m a bit gutted, as I was really keen and have such fond memories of the original, but I really wanted the classic combat. I tried both Normal and Classic in this, and neither clicked. 

I’ll just have to buy the soundtrack and make do with that. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Nope, not for me. I’m a bit gutted, as I was really keen and have such fond memories of the original, but I really wanted the classic combat. I tried both Normal and Classic in this, and neither clicked. 

I’ll just have to buy the soundtrack and make do with that. 

Normal is fine, yes it plays like an action RPG but you press x to pause combat to think tactics. The camera is slightly annoying, I had a few instances where I could not see what I was attacking.

Classic mode like @Alex W. said works well when you just want to get through an area of regular enemies but I’ll prefer normal mode.

2 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Normal is fine, yes it plays like an action RPG but you press x to pause combat to think tactics. The camera is slightly annoying, I had a few instances where I could not see what I was attacking.

It’s fine, yeah. Absolutely not what I wanted though, so I’ll skip it. Saves me ploughing through and moaning about it all the time. 

• Upvote 1

I finished it moments ago and...hmmmm, trouble is I just feel like I'm really bad at it? Like, not in control at all? No matter how hard I tried to pre-empt attacks, dodge them, react accordingly, it just doesn't feel like I'm doing anything but frenzied button mashing and 'oh, best heal again?' etc. Cloud feels pretty sluggish to me and forget Punisher mode, that basically puts you in invisible treacle. The guy I saw playing on Twitch managed mostly to move out the way of things and block at the correct times, but I was purely relying on sheer persistence and almost all of my potions.

The battle near the end with two Shock Troopers and Sentry Rays had to be the low point with the camera flying around tight confines, switching to Barret to attempt to deal with the rays, whilst everything's barely visible and smashing at me. Messages, flashes, numbers, sparks, enemies, menus, aaargh... I can't imagine what it's like with three characters and dozens upon dozens of abilities/magics for each.

Sorry for the moan! I might pick it up later on one day. I'm definitely way more of a Fromsoft person when it comes to 3rd person melee action.

Quite enjoyed the demo, though I didn't manage to finish it as I used all my Phoenix feathers and died. I was really confused about why some times I was able to heal and some times I couldn't because I didnt notice items used up the green super meter too. Took too long to realise the Scorpion had to be shot up the anus as well (the camera was really awkward during much of that battle? Not that it mattered hugely).

I think I'll enjoy it more once the combat clicks. Sometimes I was able to launch baddies into the air, jump up with them like Bayonetta and slash em up but I could figure out if I was making that happen with a command or if it was just automatic. Could be really satisfying to pile on staggering attacks and pummel some fools with Limit Breaks when they're dizzy.

I also always appreciate being able to slide down ladders in videogames. Good.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

Yeah, it's fine. Not a fan of constantly using potions, I thought they might have come up with something a bit better for this. Camera was a bit annoying too sometimes and the boss battle never ended.

Still enjoyed it a lot though, won't be getting for a while yet, maybe.

I get a sense the combat system will be really good fun once you figure out how to properly make it work. Juggling characters and lobbing potions and spells about the place, switching up regular attacks for strong ones, dodging and blocking and stuff. I bludgeoned my way through the demo, but I got a decent sense of this so-called ‘normal’ mode of combat to let me know it’ll be really great fun once it becomes second nature.

• Upvote 1

Oh, must confess I’m disappointed that the Mako Generator theme swaps the big abrasive city-razing synths of the original for something more orchestral, although I kind of expected it.

• Upvote 4

Just started playing the demo. When Wedge appeared my wife said "He sounds like Badger from Breaking Bad". After a quick Google it turns out it is him!

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Just started playing the demo. When Wedge appeared my wife said "He sounds like Badger from Breaking Bad". After a quick Google it turns out it is him!

Unfortunately imo. Recognized him instantly; as I really disliked the character in Breaking Bad, and seems he's just as annoying in FF VII.

Have it another go. Found the roll button which was a game changer.

Really like it, boss fight was epic.

I think I will pre order but I have so many games to finish off before ps5 I might just leave it till summer.

5 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Yeah, I had to stop and check that too. If only Biggs was Skinny pete.

8 hours ago, gospvg said:

In the demo can you switch out the difficulty via settings? Or is it only the option at the start? Good shout on the Persona auto mode I forgot about that!

Even though its an option at the start, it states that Classic mode make the battle difficulty the same as easy. Hope there will be more options on the main game as I had forgotten about the Persona 5 auto stuff too and I used that loads in Mementos for the tedious random stuff that I knew I was going to smash.

Liked it a lot. Worst was/is the typical JRPG style of conversations and mouth noises.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

This exact scenario happened with us too. Excellent.

I don't really get the moaning about classic mode. Yeah boss fights etc are interesting when turn based but for your average scrub enemy you'd usually only pick attack anyway. 

• Upvote 2

"You got a fuckin TUFT of Phoenix Down."

That's the best gaming moment of the year already.

It's absolutely spectacular. I can't believe I'm actually playing this.

LOVELESS 

TITLE SEQUENCE FANFARE

JESSIE 

THE FRIGGING MUSIC

STAY AWAY FROM MY BINS

I'm really really happy. 

• Upvote 5

Played it, loved it, hyped as fuck.

Something about the items being called “a potion” and “a bottle of ether” when you pick them up makes me imagine Cloud and co huffing inhalants to continue their mass hallucination that they have magic powers.

• Upvote 2

Did you also think that about Noctis and the gang when playing 15? Oh, and in Final Fantasy 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14 and all the spin offs?