rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Final Fantasy VII Remake

8 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

It’s just “an ether”. “You got an ether”, not “you got a bottle of ether”. I dunno, it just put it out of its usual context for me. “An ether” restores MP, “a bottle of ether” is what you use in the lab.

Just cancelled my pre-order because of this. Fucking disgusting.

• Upvote 9

I've just played the demo and am mostly impressed by what they've achieved, but then I don't place the original as high up my list of games as most other people (im an FFIX fanboy), I stuck with the normal combat, which was fine, though it ramped up when you fight the Scorpion and you could see how they intend for it to work, didn't like how they handled the stuff about its tail laser but also can't think of a way they could do that differently without putting in a defend command to issue to Barret (there were times when it was to attack but the only way to build your ATB quickly is to do so, leaving no other choice). My main gripe is the music, especially in the Mako Reactor, the original track always made me feel uneasy and weirded out, here it's just background noise.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, wev said:

My main gripe is the music, especially in the Mako Reactor, the original track always made me feel uneasy and weirded out, here it's just background noise.

This articulates well something I couldn't put my finger on. The original music was just bleepy midi but the melodies were so clear.

• Upvote 2

Played it. \o/

Cons first:

- Not every track of every game needs an overbearing orchestral soundtrack. The original PSone soundfont gave the soundtrack a unique atmosphere and identity that not even FFVIII or FFIX shared.

- I found myself getting a little... not overwhelmed, but I would be a bit too busy to notice my HP going down.

- Jessie's pointy metal breastplate :lol:

Pros:

Everything else, pretty much! Aside from the "distraction" I felt, the battle system is much better than FFXV's, a really good marriage of command-style and Kingdom Hearts-esque combat. I'll get used to it! I used all the commands available in that one demo, whereas in the hours of FFXV I played I don't think I used magic once.

Also, them graphics though. Was everything in the demo totally in-engine? Aerith's skin tone in particular during that close-up was so detailed that I'm genuinely not sure if they pulled some FMV trickery - this was on an original non-pro PS4, too. You could've told me it was on the PS5 or SX and I'd have believed you.

Also, clarification please:

The reactor was mostly left intact by the bomb, bar the equipment it was planted with, and Shinra fooked the building completely, presumably as a PR thing, right?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bojangle said:

Just cancelled my pre-order because of this. Fucking disgusting.

I think Alex was suggesting it’s fucking brilliant that it’s now called a bottle of ether. I didn’t even notice that it was brilliant until his post about all the characters huffing chemicals.

9 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

I think Alex was suggesting it’s fucking brilliant that it’s now called a bottle of ether. I didn’t even notice that it was brilliant until his post about all the characters huffing chemicals.

I have to assume that Bojangle is also not particularly bent out of shape about this excellent bit of wording.

Keep Final Fantasy Weird.

• Upvote 3

So Having not finished the Demo, (got home from work way later than planned) I have  played up to the part Barret is playable. I have to say visually stunning, I cannot get over the details from the posters on the wall to the soda machines. Combat for Cloud was a bit nuts at first I thought it was very button spammy to begin with however I found my groove very quickly. Barret's combat didn't leave me with much to think about (namely as I only killed a couple of machines) but the camera threw me off a little bit when trying to lock onto something that Barret could see but I could not.

I will play again and finish it tonight and wrap up my final thoughts but so far I am more than impressed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RJ Badman said:

Played it. \o/

Cons first:

- Not every track of every game needs an overbearing orchestral soundtrack. The original PSone soundfont gave the soundtrack a unique atmosphere and identity that not even FFVIII or FFIX shared.

- I found myself getting a little... not overwhelmed, but I would be a bit too busy to notice my HP going down.

- Jessie's pointy metal breastplate :lol:

Pros:

Everything else, pretty much! Aside from the "distraction" I felt, the battle system is much better than FFXV's, a really good marriage of command-style and Kingdom Hearts-esque combat. I'll get used to it! I used all the commands available in that one demo, whereas in the hours of FFXV I played I don't think I used magic once.

Also, them graphics though. Was everything in the demo totally in-engine? Aerith's skin tone in particular during that close-up was so detailed that I'm genuinely not sure if they pulled some FMV trickery - this was on an original non-pro PS4, too. You could've told me it was on the PS5 or SX and I'd have believed you.

Also, clarification please:

Hide contents

The reactor was mostly left intact by the bomb, bar the equipment it was planted with, and Shinra fooked the building completely, presumably as a PR thing, right?

Spoiler

Yes, Avalanche's bomb didn't really do much, but then all the robots fucked shit up at the command of President Shinra, presumably so they can then blame the terrorists and enforce a heavy military response.

My question is, did this happen in the original, or in that was it Avalanche's bomb that did the damage? I mean, I'm pretty sure there was no cut scene directly showing this (although it's been years since I played it and time is not kind to memory), but was it implied at all?

It is a change yes to make the terrorist action look more sympathetic/heroic (less like an act of terrorism)

This 9/11 truther stuff does seem a bit peculiar, not just because it makes Avalanche look totally incompetent, but...

Spoiler

...ShinRa blames Avalanche later for the collapse of the plate, so they'll just be repeating the plot at that point? Although we've seen clips of Jessie and Biggs parachuting, so god knows what might happen. We've already seen extra characters so I'm totally anticipating huge plot changes. Things gon' get controversial.

19 minutes ago, Ran said:

It is a change yes to make the terrorist action look more sympathetic/heroic (less like an act of terrorism)

Ah, so the bomb was always meant to be tiny? That makes sense, but it looked like a total dud to me. It went off like a party popper.

I'm annoyed at myself for reading about the shortcuts (L1+ face buttons) beforehand, but utterly forgetting to use them. It must make using potions a lot less of a hassle.

39 minutes ago, Ran said:

Sounds probable. It'll definitely make people want to be triggered and jump on the outrage bandwagon, how liberals/leftists/feminists (surely they must be involved with this whole malarky somehow!) are censoring my/your/our videogames. I can already picture all those narcissistic video thumbnails on Youtube how Square RUINED the remake by allowing WOMEN to work on it and CENSORING the game. YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE THIS (I ALMOST DIED) - FEMALE NPC FAIL - WORST REMAKE EVER!!??

3 minutes ago, df0 said:

Sounds probable. It'll definitely make people want to be triggered and jump on the outrage bandwagon, how liberals/leftists/feminists (surely they must be involved with this whole malarky somehow!) are censoring my/your/our videogames. I can already picture all those narcissistic video thumbnails on Youtube how Square RUINED the remake by allowing WOMEN to work on it and CENSORING the game. YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE THIS (I ALMOST DIED) - FEMALE NPC FAIL - WORST REMAKE EVER!!??

And that's just on RLLMUK...

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

And that's just on RLLMUK...

I gave it a chance - wasn't as annoyed by the character 'enhancements' and voice-overs as I thought I would be.

The things I was expecting to love - namely the music - I didn't. They have given it a bit of orchestral spit and polish but changed things here and there that just took all the oomph out of it. Most obvious in the title screen music, when the main melody comes in it's like two or three tones higher than it should be? Or something?

The awesomeness of the sweeping camera into the train cuts was working, especially with the logo and music synchronising as per the original, but when the camera got to the station the music stopped for dialogue, instead of kicking off immediately like it should have done. My enthusiasm waned a little bit with all of these things. When we got to cutscenes with Heidegger and the Shinra theme was playing away in the background it had taken on the overall effect of elevator music to my ears.

As for the visuals, yep its beautiful but when I was running through the areas it felt like the camera was denying me from getting a good view of any of it. I can't really explain how but possibly the size of Cloud combined with a tendency for it to be pointing at the floor just made it feel like I couldn't take in the sights.

In combat situations I couldn't often tell if there were still enemies there or not. Especially the little floaty things.

Yeaaahhhhh.....  I think I'll probably pass. I may have felt differently if the future delivery of the story had been promised, but they are leaving us all guessing on that front.

• Upvote 1

I had no interest in this before the demo, and never played the original. I've already completed it three times, and totally in for day one Easter weekend purchase.

• Upvote 8

The problem with making this all 3D is that they suddenly have to create side streets/areas, so you end up with super bland areas with the same crates/set dressing everywhere. Not sure it matters, it's just a shame because the original felt so polished as they didn't need to do much to fill out these areas due to a locked camera. I'm sure they could have made these areas look more appealing but that would have added another 5-10 years of development. It's certainly a good compromise that had to happen.

Played it again today (had the morning off work), the camera really is eratic at times during combat. I hated it in FF15 & they have not really improved on it much in this remake. Locking onto enemies does not even help because if scenery gets in the way you see nothing. It's playable on the normal combat setting but I'm not enjoying the combat. Gourgeus visuals, beautiful music & turn-based combat can be done well just look at Dragon Quest XI which I recently completed. It makes me more disappointed at the classic mode.

I'm currently playing Death Stranding (Chapter 5/14) & I was going to rush it to get it finished before FF7 was released but now I think I will take my time and pick this up over the summer.

11 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Yeah, I had to stop and check that too. If only Biggs was Skinny pete.

That would be the bomb, man!

This has inspired me to resume my half-finished play through the original PS4 port (on Vita remote play, even) and they’ve patched the music looping bug!

I’m just hyped to be here with you all revelling in FINAL FUCKING FANTASY SEVEN as if it were new again.

I managed to get home a night early and fired it up very briefly 15 mins ago but I’m too tired to do it justice.

but man, that intro!!! That intro!!!! Them feels.  

I am in love All. Over. Again.

As a workaholic with a Wow addict for a boss, when I told him the demo landed (or was thinking it would land today, the original release day), he just said - TOIL day Wednesday then? :wub:  he gets it 

• Upvote 5

Ok, I just finished a second playthrough and things definitely started to click a little more. The first time I didn't even realise the enemy's attack was appearing above their HP bars long before they executed it. When there's a whole load of information on screen I end up blind to half of it. Honestly, the first time I was attempting to try to read wind-up animations as if it were a Fromsoft boss. Seeing what attack is coming in advance allows you to approach it far more like...a Final Fantasy game. There is a Fromsoft element in that once you hit square and start an attack you're fully committed and you're not going to be able to block, so it rewards a bit of patience instead of button mashing. I started to use the L1 shortcuts a lot which feels a lot better than clicking through menus, although it would be better if you had a pop up so you didn't have to memorise what is linked to each button.

I still have a lot of reservations, mostly about future parts, but I imagine I'll be giving this a try at some point over the summer. Once different enemies and abilities roll in, it should get a lot more interesting.

A lot of "I love everything but the gameplay" takes on here and Resetera, I wonder how that's gonna translate to the success of this being some five part thing.

On 18/02/2020 at 18:02, carlospie said:

The thing is they are going to have to nerf your characters some how between the games, as if they are two-three years apart then everyone will have hit level 99 and unlocked all limit breaks etc. 

Or they treat each game as separate and make you start anew each time. 

I'm sure they will have some sort of solution in place to overcome this

On 18/02/2020 at 19:00, Alex W. said:

They could just implement a level cap in each episode, so they know anyone who makes it on to Episode 2 probably has a level over 10, but definitely has a level under 15.

Apparently the demo’s answer is to have a finite number of fixed encounters in a dungeon. :P It kind of makes sense and ensures everyone has enough experience (and they could get a good estimate of party levels at the end of the episode / start of the next one), but it would make the typical RPG conversation a bit weird: “did you have to do any major levelling before that one boss?” “Uh, I couldn’t...”

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

A lot of "I love everything but the gameplay" takes on here and Resetera, I wonder how that's gonna translate to the success of this being some five part thing.

I do worry that square can deliver on this, I think they will be under pressure to ensure they complete the game but they left Deus Ex Mankind Divided after the first game.

8 minutes ago, gospvg said:

they left Deus Ex Mankind Divided after the first game.

?? 

Referring to to “Deus Ex Universe”? The ambitious multimedia project announced after Human Revolution that amounted to a sequel (Mankind Divided) with an online multiplayer component, a mobile game, and some books.